Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2013, 09:13 AM

2 posts, read 16,058 times

Advertisements

The population of 66048 is 35,996. (US Census Bureau)

I don't know where they got 14,425, down from 33,860 in 2000, showing an alarmingly radical population exodus, which is not true. The population has been very steady for the last 3 or 4 decades. The reason is the city is boxed in by the Federal land that includes the Fed Prison and Fort that defines the northern border, the Missouri river the defines the east, and the rapidly growing city of Lansing to the south (which itself has unlimited growth all the way south and west to the county line, and it is, with mostly new, large, expensive homes).

So Leavenworth is boxed in by 3 straight lines where it cannot grow. That only leaves west, where the land is rough and hilly, the highways and roads few, curvy and inconsistent, suitable only for an occasional rural-suburb with large houses (but without city water, gas, sewer).

Therefore the city's population remains very stable and steady, with minimal increases and not the radical changes this page indicated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 01:06 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,928,757 times
I've always wondered why Leavenworth basically has its own suburb, Lansing. Perhaps Lansing's growth is driven by a desire of families not to be in Leavenworth's school district?

Are you sure what you've said is true about Leavenworth's growth? Why can't Leavenworth grow west, southwest, and northwest? I know there are some beautiful hills and landscape up that way, but why can't the city grow around those hills? Perhaps the real problem is there's nothing to fuel growth in Leavenworth, and/or almost all growth will goes to Lansing because people and developers overwhelmingly choose Lansing because of the school district.

By the way, is there a name for the that one HUGE hill in western Leavenworth that you can catch glimpses of from all over the city? Going up there at night and looking over the lights of the city of Leavenworth and federal prison is really neat.

Leavenworth is a hidden treasure.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:16 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,928,757 times
Your question on the zip-code issue is a good one.

66048 includes all of the city of Leavenworth, plus a large rural ring around the city. The population drop is definitely wrong and a mistake. I checked and there doesn't seem to be a new zip code for Leavenworth, so that doesn't explain it. The mistake may just be in City-Data's stats.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:11 PM

77,756 posts, read 59,900,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordstafford View Post
The population of 66048 is 35,996. (US Census Bureau)

I don't know where they got 14,425, down from 33,860 in 2000, showing an alarmingly radical population exodus, which is not true. The population has been very steady for the last 3 or 4 decades. The reason is the city is boxed in by the Federal land that includes the Fed Prison and Fort that defines the northern border, the Missouri river the defines the east, and the rapidly growing city of Lansing to the south (which itself has unlimited growth all the way south and west to the county line, and it is, with mostly new, large, expensive homes).

So Leavenworth is boxed in by 3 straight lines where it cannot grow. That only leaves west, where the land is rough and hilly, the highways and roads few, curvy and inconsistent, suitable only for an occasional rural-suburb with large houses (but without city water, gas, sewer).

Therefore the city's population remains very stable and steady, with minimal increases and not the radical changes this page indicated.
Zip codes get changed. You might want to double check that they didn't split the area into 2 zip codes and thus "reduce" the population shown for the zip code you are questioning.

Just a thought.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:35 AM

25,626 posts, read 21,793,252 times
This link shows Leavenworth for 2010: Leavenworth (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau and LEAVENWORTH, KS - ZIP Code Database, ZIP Code Maps If it came from the City-Data page, there is an email somewhere there where you can let them know that the information is not correct. I found an error once on something in the KS area and let them know.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:32 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,663,061 times
Given that the topic is addressed on this thread, can someone please tell me where on the City-Data home page I can find an e-mail address to contact them? I have found an obvious error in my own home town's zip code population & want to let them know that I suspect that they have entered incorrect inforation on the page for that zip code.
One beef that I have with this site is that it seems difficult to find contact info among other things here. It's almost as if they are trying to hide foro us, which sounds ridicuous but for a site of this nature, it should be very obvious as to how they can be contacted, whatever the reason.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:53 AM

25,626 posts, read 21,793,252 times
If you go to a particular city, go to the very bottom of the page. I looked at Leavenworth since it is the topic of the thread and I found the population to be correct on that page so I am not sure where the OP has found his/her discrepancy or perhaps someone has made the correction. Anyway, you'll go to the bottom of the page and find this to make your corrections: //www.city-data.com/sendfact.ph...&n=Leavenworth I came across this a couple of years ago when I was comparing a couple of cities and the error I found had to do with what county the city was in.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:38 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,663,061 times
Thanks for that info Anywhere.
I'll go take a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
View detailed profiles of: