Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 01:14 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,849,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Two great posts in a row - thank you. It is so good to see more speaking up about what has been going on here.

The winds of change are blowing....and it is long overdue. Together we can make this forum what it could and should be.

For those of you who may not know, I lived in Overland Park and Shawnee for 11 years and have many fond memories of my life there. That is where my personal interest in this forum comes from. Essentially, I miss everything but the summer weather. Most especially, I miss the people.

The last thing I am is a San Franciscan....I'm just stuck out here 'til I retire.
I feel your pain. I went to high school in Anaheim, CA. There's a lot of good about CA, but man! I sure was glad to leave it! A great place to VISIT, I just don't like living there.

I don't want to sugar coat Kansas, but I sure don't want it bashed constantly just because they can. Go back to the old principal - if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all!

Summer weather is brutal! I get up in the mornings to feed/ride my horses and tend to my garden, then off to work I go to soak up employer sponsored A/C! LOL We don't usually have the humidity the eastern part of the state has, but the winds! Shesh! It's like a convection oven out there. Then. For no apparent reason. We'll have a perfect summer day.

I don't know - I guess I just love the crazy contrasts of this state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 03:14 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
My suggestion, going forward, is to just ignore KCMO's postings altogether since we don't have the ability to banish him from the board. He feeds off of any of us who react to what he writes about KS being his least favorite spot on Earth.
The purpose of this forum though is largely to provide information to those seeking to find out more and potentially move to the area.

You really need to be able to rebut some of the outrageous claims if you want to give people a fair view of what could be a big decision.

It's kinda nice to see enough posters stand up to the attacks for once.

I can imagine that to a neutral observer it's pretty easy to tell whom is providing factual, level headed information with pros and cons per their questions and whom is just rabidly biased.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:43 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,985,404 times
I never trust or believe those kinds of lists. Every month is some new list by someone. Places like Omaha and Des Moines have been seeing growth because they have a lower unemployment rate and have jobs. Not as exciting as some places, but I've never liked that arrogant term, "fly over country". People generally either move for a job or retirement. I would reckon more people will move out of Johnson County and commute in as county taxes continue to rise. When someone is comparing Johnson County (metro KC) to Chicago, that's much different than comparing Chicago to any other part of Kansas. Naturally bigger offers more convenience and more choices. Those in out state Nebraska feel more akin to folks of Wyoming than those of Eastern Nebraska. I would suspect its the same with rural Kansans.

As far as information for others, CD is filled with opinions and facts, some certainly relevant and useful. There is also the almost ever present political salt and pepper added far too frequently to straight forward questions and topics. That does get tiresome. As far as I'm concerned I hate almost all of them, fat cats that have lost touch with the common man, no matter what party they claim.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:13 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Never in my life have I known a person who had "cultural amenities" in their top 5 list of priorities for a relocation choice. It is not even on the radar compared to economic and personal safety issues.
It was my second choice. First was economics; where my job was, but since I had a choice of a few locations, I chose the place that would provide the most entertainment and cultural amenities.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:54 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
Quote:
Never in my life have I known a person who had "cultural amenities" in their top 5 list of priorities for a relocation choice. It is not even on the radar compared to economic and personal safety issues.
I found this quote absurd and simply responded to it. Sorry if people don't want to hear the truth. People do care about "cultural amenities".

And I'm sorry, but no, I don't see how Kansas has some wonderful economy. Most counties there are declining in population and even the few urban counties in the state has more issues than average.

The state has to prop up its only economically vibrant county with all kinds of subsidies and so you have to ask, is Johnson County really all that desirable if they have to subsidize nearly every new office and retail project there? KCK could be such a cool place, but instead, it's a run down city with even more subsidized sprawl slapped onto its backend.

Sales taxes approach 10% and for what? I grew up in urban KCMO and lived most of my life hearing how JoCo is God's country and does everything right while KCMO is just a ****hole where people in KS go for ballgames and concerts and well just about any other form entertainment (you know, "cultural amenities").

Old 06-25-2013, 09:57 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Sales taxes approach 10% and for what? I grew up in urban KCMO and lived most of my life hearing how JoCo is God's country and does everything right while KCMO is just a ****hole where people in KS go for ballgames and concerts and well just about any other form entertainment (you know, "cultural amenities").
So your pathological hatred of Johnson County and Kansas stems from your childhood. Those must be some some very deep wounds. Tell us, how does that make you feel?

I grew up in Johnson County. I love it here, and that's why I raised my kids here. I lived in Jackson County, Missouri when I was younger and couldn't afford to live in Johnson County. I lived in Jackson County when my first child was born. Before she was 18 months old we were in Johnson County, because there was no way in hell I was going to raise her in Missouri.

Full disclosure: I was born in Missouri and spent my first 6 years in Missouri. I am so happy that my parents then moved to western Shawnee, where I had a very happy childhood.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:29 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,014,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
So your pathological hatred of Johnson County and Kansas stems from your childhood. Those must be some some very deep wounds. Tell us, how does that make you feel?

I grew up in Johnson County. I love it here, and that's why I raised my kids here. I lived in Jackson County, Missouri when I was younger and couldn't afford to live in Johnson County. I lived in Jackson County when my first child was born. Before she was 18 months old we were in Johnson County, because there was no way in hell I was going to raise her in Missouri.

Full disclosure: I was born in Missouri and spent my first 6 years in Missouri. I am so happy that my parents then moved to western Shawnee, where I had a very happy childhood.
You're as crazy as he is when you condemn entire states this way.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
And I'm sorry, but no, I don't see how Kansas has some wonderful economy.
12th in unemployment (towards the good end).

Facts vs. imagination.

Speaking of facts, why don't you post up sales tax rankings?

Old 06-26-2013, 09:31 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
You're as crazy as he is when you condemn entire states this way.
Not entire states. Just Kansas City, Missouri.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Not entire states. Just Kansas City, Missouri.
My friend moved out of KCMO when they got some additional kids via "oops" and the private school costs loomed large.

So....they moved to JOCO and don't have to pay for the private schools to get a decent education although in fairness there were some good options like Bluesprings etc. as well.

Plus Missouri has 103% unemployment and all their residents are convicted felons based upon me randomly making up claims about places which seems to be the new game around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas