Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 01:39 PM

166 posts, read 300,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
You hate Kansas so much it's pathological. Who in their right mind moves from an area and then can't just enjoy the place they claim is so much better, but instead camps out on the KANSAS board, where you didn't even live, and put it down repeatedly? Those of us who live here live here because we LIKE it. I know that bothers you, but get over it. Overland Park is always one of the BEST PLACES TO LIVE according to Money Magazine. Obviously there are a lot of people who like it. Frankly, no one cares whether you do or not. We get it that you don't like Kansas or Johnson County. We understood that years ago. Do you have to repeatedly beat a dead horse? I don't think anyone is moving from here because someone with a pathological hatred of the area feels a need to repeatedly bash it. So why not stop droning on and on and on and on and on about it nauseam year after year after year after year?

Can you not understand and accept that some of us LIKE Kansas and like living here? I could live anywhere I wanted to in the United States. I work at home and I can take my work with me wherever I go. I have enough income to live pretty much anywhere I wanted to, within reason. I live in Johnson County, Kansas because I LIKE IT HERE. I don't care about your dumb arguments about Kansas City, Missouri versus Johnson County, Kansas. You have never lived here, no one is asking you to live here, and we all know how much you hate it. We heard you. Now move on with your life in Washington DC. Or do you want me to go to that forum and scream about what a horrible place it is and how I would never live there?
totally UNBALANCED ON THE SUBJECT OF KANSAS--WISH THEY'D JUST SHUP UP ABOUT--THEY HATE IT SO WHAT??WE LOVE IT AND NO ONE WILL CONVINCE US OTHERWISE .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 01:51 PM

25,943 posts, read 22,094,372 times
KCMO: You'll want to look hard at any state you decide to retire in. I'm guessing you realize the impact that taxes can have on retirement not to mention the importance of good medical care. Anyone considering retirement: Taxes by State and some other good choices: Best, worst states for retiree taxes - 1 - boomers - MSN Money If I remember right, you have a long time until retirement so things may change by then. And, I so understand where you are coming from. Expanding one's horizons? Priceless.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:55 PM

25,943 posts, read 22,094,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bev osborn View Post
totally UNBALANCED ON THE SUBJECT OF KANSAS--WISH THEY'D JUST SHUP UP ABOUT--THEY HATE IT SO WHAT??WE LOVE IT AND NO ONE WILL CONVINCE US OTHERWISE .
I'm sorry that you have such an issue with facts. It is so funny that the only place I have ever heard people accuse others of hating a place because they presented facts and suggested improvements was in KS. Ignoring the problems/issues is what has put KS in the condition that it is.

Do you actually follow the bills going through the legislature and what is being done with the state budget?

Love is blind. Facts speak for themselves.

Also: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html, have you read this?

Last edited by AnywhereElse; 08-11-2013 at 02:16 PM..

Old 08-11-2013, 02:51 PM

78,345 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I'm sorry that you have such an issue with facts. It is so funny that the only place I have ever heard people accuse others of hating a place because they presented facts and suggested improvements was in KS. Ignoring the problems/issues is what has put KS in the condition that it is.

Do you actually follow the bills going through the legislature and what is being done with the state budget?

The irony of you posting the TOS is priceless.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:20 PM

Default There are farmers markets out here in the

Quote:
I deleted my message. It boils down to: (1) KS is more than KC metro area and Johnson County (2) I am sorry but my computer is not showing your charts and graphs showing that the info I provided is incorrect and I am sure you want to provide that, did I miss it? (3) The dramatic increase in obesity was said to partially be a result of not having the fresh fruits and vegetables or the prices being too high so they were looking at ways to change that (4) I know that KC, KS and KC, MO have a rivalry but I am not a part of that so you'll have to do your own research on that. (5) I see the KS forum as more than trying to convince people to move and relocate to the area, I think they want facts. (6) I first came to KS in the late 70's not when the poo hit the fan and that is when I noticed the lack of goods and services, SO many things not available but now can be ordered on the internet but we all pay the same prices which makes the cost of living for those not lower - I was in western KS not in KC or Johnson County. (7) Johnson County and KC, KS are parts of KS but not KS. (8) I guess that you don't understand researching an area and using the various websites but many people want to make an informed move and not everyone wants to live in KC or Johnson County. (8) KC has their own area on the forum. When you click on "Kansas", look at the very top of the page. Wichita has their own area also.

So, until you gets some facts, supported by links, I see no reason to further the discussion. And, please remember that KS is more than KC and Johnson County. Living in those areas doesn't make you any more or less a Kansan nor any better informed about the state as a whole.
smaller towns all summer long and our local food suppliers in general supply plenty of fruits and vegetables from fall to spring.

Last edited by bev osborn; 08-11-2013 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-11-2013, 03:38 PM

Default Thanks math guy i couldn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The irony of you posting the TOS is priceless.
have said it better myself.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:46 PM

Default I am concerned with my quality of life out here

Quote:

in NW Kansas--I don't go jumping through political hoops right away--Like Obama warned everyone-though few listened it is going to get worse before it gets better. Notice that he said it will get better. I have lived in 8 states and many large cities and this,by far,for me PERSONALLY,is the best one.Anyone else is free to do whatever they want to do,why don't they go and do that and stop bashing us??Why?
Because they are jealous of our quality of life--like one poster said, to quote Shakespeare:

METHINKS THOU PROTESTETH TOO MUCH.

Last edited by bev osborn; 08-11-2013 at 04:27 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-11-2013, 04:50 PM

Talking yeah i have read it

Quote:

But have you?????

Old 08-11-2013, 09:28 PM

991 posts, read 1,109,836 times
I am not a native of KC but I do reside on the MO side currently and used to work in Olathe. We are looking at apartments in Overland Park while I figure on my next move (looking for a bigger city). Look, this town is very nice - the Kansas side has some good spots - probably not as good as the best spots of KCMO (Brookside, Plaza). The whole metro is a great place to raise a family if you are into that. But let's face it - nobody is clawing their way to get into Kansas (or Missouri). JOCO gets a bit of run from things like Money or Fortune Magazine rankings....but it's more of a "if you are stuck not living on the coasts, this is at least passable" kind of way. That's kind of how my dad and his wife look at it too (they live in NYC)...that it's an okay place to start a career but if you haven't made it to the big cities by the time you're 40 you did something wrong.

I imagine it's even worse in the rural areas, but the Kansas side of KC is dead after 10PM. The Missouri side has a little more life but it's not miles ahead. This city and the state of Kansas caters to breeders - nothing wrong with that, of course. There are some great parks and scenic drives on the Kansas side...but I haven't ventured out further than Lawrence.

And for the guy that said that people don't move to a place for cultural amenities: you are forgetting the millions of people trying to make their way to NYC or LA and busting their butts to stay there. Many, many people chose to cram themselves into tiny apartments above the 100s in Manhattan rather than live in a place like Wichita. There's a reason why those places are considered desirable. You can make a decent buck in Kansas (and similar states), get married and have a couple rugrats and live in a decent house. But can you live your dream here?

I say all this as a fan of KC (and both sides of the state line)...let's keep it real. I came from a total ****hole that everyone says is a great place to raise a family (Buffalo, NY). But there are no jobs there either...the people that stay in my hometown aren't exactly lighting the world on fire. Buffalo makes KC look like Los Angeles.

Last edited by KC_Sleuth; 08-11-2013 at 09:50 PM..

Old 08-11-2013, 10:09 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,249,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
I am not a native of KC but I do reside on the MO side currently and used to work in Olathe. We are looking at apartments in Overland Park while I figure on my next move (looking for a bigger city). Look, this town is very nice - the Kansas side has some good spots - probably not as good as the best spots of KCMO (Brookside, Plaza). The whole metro is a great place to raise a family if you are into that. But let's face it - nobody is clawing their way to get into Kansas (or Missouri). JOCO gets a bit of run from things like Money or Fortune Magazine rankings....but it's more of a "if you are stuck not living on the coasts, this is at least passable" kind of way. That's kind of how my dad and his wife look at it too (they live in NYC)...that it's an okay place to start a career but if you haven't made it to the big cities by the time you're 40 you did something wrong.

I imagine it's even worse in the rural areas, but the Kansas side of KC is dead after 10PM. The Missouri side has a little more life but it's not miles ahead. This city and the state of Kansas caters to breeders - nothing wrong with that, of course. There are some great parks and scenic drives on the Kansas side...but I haven't ventured out further than Lawrence.

And for the guy that said that people don't move to a place for cultural amenities: you are forgetting the millions of people trying to make their way to NYC or LA and busting their butts to stay there. Many, many people chose to cram themselves into tiny apartments above the 100s in Manhattan rather than live in a place like Wichita. There's a reason why those places are considered desirable. You can make a decent buck in Kansas (and similar states), get married and have a couple rugrats and live in a decent house. But can you live your dream here?

I say all this as a fan of KC (and both sides of the state line)...let's keep it real. I came from a total ****hole that everyone says is a great place to raise a family (Buffalo, NY). But there are no jobs there either...the people that stay in my hometown aren't exactly lighting the world on fire. Buffalo makes KC look like Los Angeles.
I like Johnson County because it is NOT Los Angeles or New York. I haven't been to New York, but they can have the way too expensive tiny cramped apartments, the homeless people everywhere, the rats, the nasty streets and alleys. No thanks. And while the ocean in California is beautiful, most of it is not beautiful. When I went there I was struck with how NOT beautiful it was. Everywhere I went (other than the ocean), I just kept thinking how much more PLEASANT a place Johnson County is. You see actual yards and green space and houses, instead of everything behind a wall.

But besides the things I mentioned, the fact that there is hardly any crime in Johnson County makes it so much more desirable than anyplace on either coast.

And after a certain age, doesn't partying all night get kind of old? Personally, I prefer not to live in a town that is alive 24 hours a day. Even when I was in college I didn't get staying out all night drinking or whatever. Not my cup of tea. If that's what you like, might as well live in Las Vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas