Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 11:16 PM

166 posts, read 298,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
The one that hit Moore was horrible, especially with its timing. We had one headed our way during that storm but it found the river and kept following the river, which is what they usually do. My neighbor is nearly sixty and has never seen a tornado and has lived here all his life. His father has too and HE wanted to go down the road where someone said there was a funnel visible just to see one once. Someone said people in Kansas seem to not consider it could happen. I doubt that, its just you consider the odds.

I used to live in the area of California where the San Andreas is going to go, which it is very much overdue to do, and about twenty miles from the place it probably will slip, where it is weakest. The place I lived will likely collapse when this happens. People got very nervous when there were small quakes. But unless they were enough to break something they didn't even make the news. We all knew that someday it WILL happen as the rocks can stand only so much pressure. And it will be far worse than a tornado since it will send its energy down the fault. My cousin was sitting in his truck outside his house for a month after Northridge, a quarter mile from the epicenter, since there was really no security around and people willing to risk a house collapsing for the loot. It will be much worse, lots of Northridges.

But do people go about worrying about the big one all the time? And there are no 'season's" for quakes. No. They accept it might happen any time, but chances are it won't and go on with life. I found it very easy to understand the local's attitudes towards tornados, and there are seasons for them.

When it comes right down to it, fear of natural occurances should not deter anyone from a place they like since they will happen and you don't let them rule every minute. The people and the costs and if it gives you what you're looking for are more important and will be in the long run.

I visited Kansas but the winter weather just seemed a bit too extreme and I didn't know anyone there and did in Oklahoma. We have even had a few reasonably strong quakes and I still love it. The scariest time was when a fire was burning towards us last year with a third the normal rainfall (so far twice the normal rainfall so no worries about that this year). I saw where it started and of course nobody in OKC had mentioned it so called the fire department and then went to bed.

If you'll be happy with the place and the people and can afford it is what will make you happy, not seeking a placed where no great disastor will happen. There isn't such a place and you'll never get back the time you spend worrying.
But I am aware that it can and does happen and I am on my guard a bit more in the summer.I feel that some folks just think that they are special and it will never happen to them--sure some people in Greensburg probably felt the same way--
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 01:03 AM

26,374 posts, read 46,217,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bev osborn View Post
However,if we water everything all the time out here,we can grow ANYTHING--our soil is sandy loam and that's one of the better ones.As far as growing stuff-maybe it depends on what part of the state you are talking about,but never had a prob with it except for the drought here where you have to water a lot-in Eastern Ks I had a huge rose garden and all my neighbors had veg gardens.
Western KS has been in a drought for a very long time and unfortunately it is going to get much worse with a warmer climate. That is why I will not move anywhere that already has a semi-arid climate...

Old 08-04-2013, 12:23 PM

Default I don't blame you

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Western KS has been in a drought for a very long time and unfortunately it is going to get much worse with a warmer climate. That is why I will not move anywhere that already has a semi-arid climate...
Out here were just water everything.In my yard I have giant elms that I can't even put my arms around,they are so wide, oak and willow that are rare out here,spirea,Rose of Sharon,and an apple tree that makes dozens of apples each year.Kansas is mostly farmland,with tons of sunshine--we grow wheat,sunflowers,corn,and soybeans. Excellent soil throughout most of the State.We don't really want or need any more people out here--we like it the way it is. Not to sound pompous,just that I have seen new people come in,attracted to the quiet and inexpensive lifestyle here,and they are often on drugs or trying to start meth labs and they are mainly on welfare and planning to stay on it.Nothing personal against anyone here--just speaking in general.

Last edited by bev osborn; 08-04-2013 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: left something out

Old 08-04-2013, 02:55 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,632,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calitalia View Post
Thanks again. I appreciate all the comments and suggestions. Not sure about the "snob" one though. I've only met nice people in KS and enjoyed my stay. I read an article from a Boston Globe reporter that said something to the effect "There are just some places where the people are nicer." I believe we are moving to Leawood. Now the Real question: follow KU or K State? Kidding.
You'll like Johnson County living.

I don't know a whole lot about the Indianapolis area, but have visited there a couple of times. Based on the impression it made, I'd rather be in the Kansas City area. I would probably chose Overland Park or Lenexa over Leawood.

As luzianne said before, pay no attention to the Kansas naysayers that populate this thread....and every other sizable thread in this forum. It's what happens here....and was going on here before I joined the forum almost 6 years ago. I have lived in 5 states and 8 different metro areas. Putting aside the summer heat, Johnson County, KS was the nicest place to live overall.

Reaction to the heat factor varies widely with different people. For me, it is significant because I hate summer heat with a passion. Retirement is on my horizon and escaping summer heat will be my number one priority is choosing a retirement location, so I will likely end up either on the Oregon or Washington coast or perhaps on the lake in UP Michigan or Northern Wisconsin. It is only because of my passionate hatred of summer heat/humidity that that I would hesitate to move back to Johnson County, KS. But many others inexplicably seem to thrive on the Kansas summer - or say they do. So, for people in that group, there are no negatives worth talking about. That won't stop the debbie-downers, though. Just tune them out.

Best of luck with your move.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:01 PM

Default i know you're just kiddingre Ku or State but.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by calitalia View Post
Thanks again. I appreciate all the comments and suggestions. Not sure about the "snob" one though. I've only met nice people in KS and enjoyed my stay. I read an article from a Boston Globe reporter that said something to the effect "There are just some places where the people are nicer." I believe we are moving to Leawood. Now the Real question: follow KU or K State? Kidding.
K U is a really good school overall- I am a graduate-loved both the school and the town of Lawrence. In general,I love Kansas or I wouldn't live here. Maybe someone can fill you in on the sports aspects.Think you will really love Leawood,if thats' what you decide on--been there many times and it is lovely,with many high-end homes,nice people,good schools,great restuarants and lots of things to do.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:36 PM

Default Don't know where you are getting your into on the soil being better there

Quote:
Northern Indiana has a much milder climate than Kansas with far more tolerable Summer temperatures with less in the way of severe weather or any tornados. It is also much easier to grow things in that area as the soils are much better.

We can and do grow anything and everything in Kansas-- In e ks this grew in my 1/2 acre back yard:
black walnut,pecan.persimmon,summer pear,cherry, grape,apple, dogwood,forsythia,spirea,and all kinds of roses.My neighbors grew potatoes and tomatoes,squash,cucumbers,pumpkins and lots of other vegs.

QUESTION; HAVE YOU EVER LIVED IN KANSAS AND IF SO WHERE????You really have a lot of false into about the soil it is SANDY LOAM AND GROWS JUST ABOUT ANYTHING WITH ENOUGH WATER.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:13 PM

Btw,Northern Indiana has longer winters than Kansas--it is also close to Chicago and has industrial pollution in the cities,and is way more crowded than Kansas.I would not want to go back to that,since I grew up near there and the crime,smog ,price of housing,and long winters would not work for me--but to each their own.I am glad enough people do not like it out here to keep it clean and non-crowded and non-polluted,and houses so cheap to buy.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
We can and do grow anything and everything in Kansas-- In e ks this grew in my 1/2 acre back yard:
black walnut,pecan.persimmon,summer pear,cherry, grape,apple, dogwood,forsythia,spirea,and all kinds of roses.My neighbors grew potatoes and tomatoes,squash,cucumbers,pumpkins and lots of other vegs.

QUESTION; HAVE YOU EVER LIVED IN KANSAS AND IF SO WHERE????You really have a lot of false into about the soil it is SANDY LOAM AND GROWS JUST ABOUT ANYTHING WITH ENOUGH WATER.
Far eastern Kansas well south of KC has lots of heavy clay soils that take a greater amount of effort to grow certain types of vegetables and trees. I remember having severe difficulty growing different types of pine trees (to act as a nice wind break) and they did terrible with the clay heavy soils. Yes, sandy loam is preferable, but not every area of Kansas have favorable soils. Also, AVERAGE Summer temperatures are much higher in Kansas (remember last Summer?) so it just isn't similar at all to most of the eastern Midwest and Great Lakes region at all.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Btw,Northern Indiana has longer winters than Kansas--it is also close to Chicago and has industrial pollution in the cities,and is way more crowded than Kansas.I would not want to go back to that,since I grew up near there and the crime,smog ,price of housing,and long winters would not work for me--but to each their own.I am glad enough people do not like it out here to keep it clean and non-crowded and non-polluted,and houses so cheap to buy.
I much prefer somewhat longer winters to have far nicer and milder spring, summer, and fall temperatures... The pleasant northern sun angle is ideal so I tend not to travel south much at all during the summer season anymore.I don't consider winters to be "long" until you get north of central Wisconsin and Minnesota. Northern Wisconsin recorded lows in the 30s at night the past few days and that is a bit on the crisp side for early August...
BTW, western Kansas has its share of air pollution from the coal power plants at Holcomb and other sources. It has shared a bit in the energy boom of the past few years, but it really has nothing to keep career people, single people, and most families there as the diversity of jobs present outside of agriculture, healthcare, etc. are obviously limited. It takes a certain type of personality to do very well in the frontier counties, those with fewer than seven people per square mile. Services are very limited and access to quality healthcare is even further removed. That is the big reason why you are now seeing such sharp population declines in the frontier counties. Many retired elderly are moving closer to a regional city like Hays to be closer to healthcare/hospitals, or to metropolitan areas such as Denver, Wichita, KC, etc.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:21 PM

Default Never said it was similar

Quote:
Far eastern Kansas well south of KC has lots of heavy clay soils that take a greater amount of effort to grow certain types of vegetables and trees. I remember having severe difficulty growing different types of pine trees (to act as a nice wind break) and they did terrible with the clay heavy soils. Yes, sandy loam is preferable, but not every area of Kansas have favorable soils. Also, AVERAGE Summer temperatures are much higher in Kansas (remember last Summer?) so it just isn't similar at all to most of the eastern Midwest and Great Lakes region at all.

Lived in 8 states and the Great Lakes area--this is different but not all that much what with the climate changes--would say higher but not "much higher" just had a really nice cool spell.Grew up in Illinois and that is plenty hot all summer long and very high humidty--not pleasant at all.Maybe you could have researched a different type of tree for your windbreak--Pine is not good in clay soil.

Healthcare is great where I live-donno where Holcomb is but there is no air pollution here-can see billions of stars every night-would not live anywhere with smog because I grew up with it.As far as temps go,we have much gorgeous weather out here in the spring and fall-main reason I moved here.In the winter it is often in the 50's.Criticize it all you want--It does take a certain type of person to live here,and I am blessed to be one of those people--in spite of what people think who have never lived or even visited out here we have a Lot of MILD BEAUTIFUL DAYS. Kansas is a huge huge state and I will say this---each and every part of it is different and unique unto itself--you cannot judge Kansas by only one part of it and I get really tired of some people doing that that don't know what they are talking about.Also,from what the older people here tell me,the blizzards(so called) and snowfall here are much much milder than 40 or 50 yrs ago,due to the drought-which suits me fine,and it warms up and melts in 2 days.I have never once shoveled snow. I am glad it isn't similar to the Midwest--been there already and could not wait to get out.Been to Wis dozens of times-have relatives there-don't see much difference in the weather from Northern Illinois to Wisconsin--lots and lots of cold and ugly snow.Spent a vacation in the woods up there as a little kid-much to me and my families surprise it was still hot and humid in N Wis even in the forest.We were all really bummed out because that's what we were trying to get away from.Also had some mosquitos there that were an inch long ugh.Yeah it really isn't all that similar-and we are very glad of that,Amen.

Last edited by bev osborn; 08-04-2013 at 11:45 PM.. Reason: left something out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas