Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 07:20 AM

20 posts, read 65,055 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My wife and I are trying to decide between Leawood, KS and Carmel, IN. I just returned from a trip to KC and like the area. We grew up in Southern Illinois and the St Louis area and remember tornadoes but the volume of tornadoes in KS are scaring us away. Please tell me about the everyday life in East KS. The stats say that you had 180 tornadoes in 2009. Does that translate to warnings everyday during the season? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 10:35 AM

166 posts, read 300,259 times
I used to live in eastern Kansas--Olathe,Gardner,Topeka and Lawrence--now I live in Western Ks which so far had 1 very tiny tornado in our town and no big ones for decades.
According to some of the oldest people here,no one ever recalls a tornado of any size hitting here.
I would not live in the eastern part of the state due to the tornadoes.And the horrible HUMIDITY.I would say that I recall warnings about half the time.If you have a basement,you are better off.Remember that a warning does not always mean one is on the way--out here,we have many such warnings.Often,a tornado may be spotted that dies out in the air.Sometimes,it may do some tiny damage to a field.Sometimes,they just seem to suddlenly disappear or it is a false sighting or the tornado will lose its power and simply become strong wind.But, remember tornado alley runs from Texas all the way to Minnesota.Indiana also has tornadoes,though not as many as Ks.
Just fyi, Kansas does hold the record for the most F5 tornadoes.Those are the super big ones.If I were you and you are that afraid,i would not move here.You might end up really nervous over the warnings and that could affect your health.
Out here,we get so used to the sirens going off at every little storm that we tend to ignore them.Guess we are sort of like fatalists---if it's gonna happen,not much you can do. So far,we are spoiled because not much ever seems to happen.
But,hey,just fyi,in your shoes, I would go with Indiana------just sayin------Best of luck to you in your move!!!!!

Last edited by bev osborn; 08-01-2013 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 08-01-2013, 12:04 PM

Talking sorry for rambling on-hope i could help

I do understand about liking eastern ks-it is pretty and does have a lot of mild weather.I would still be there except for a couple of things,I do feel that the eastern part of ks has a lot more going for it in the economic dept than where I live.I'm just sort of picking up on your dread of the tornado threat and that's why I said what I did,because when a person feels a sort of foreboding about something they are moving to,and I have,several times,it does not work out,in general.Everyone always says you take your problems with you,and that is true,but I have also found that where you live can cause a million more.Again,best wishes in your search.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:05 PM

78,414 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calitalia View Post
Hello everyone,

My wife and I are trying to decide between Leawood, KS and Carmel, IN. I just returned from a trip to KC and like the area. We grew up in Southern Illinois and the St Louis area and remember tornadoes but the volume of tornadoes in KS are scaring us away. Please tell me about the everyday life in East KS. The stats say that you had 180 tornadoes in 2009. Does that translate to warnings everyday during the season? Thanks.
What you need to understand is that KS in TOTAL gets LOTS of small F0-F1 tornados in the far western part of the state which is skewing your stats.

With regards to more severe tornados, Leawood has about the same risk as most places in the midwest. They haven't had a serious tornado around that area in 30 years or more.

Here is a good source:
http://www.disastersafety.org/wp-con...lysis_IBHS.pdf

Note that Leawood and Carmel are pretty much in the same risk coloration.

Either place is about the same risk as southern IL. (I grew up in IL and went to school in Champaign, IL)

Old 08-01-2013, 02:16 PM

78,414 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bev osborn View Post
Just fyi, Kansas does hold the record for the most F5 tornadoes.Those are the super big ones.
OK has the most F5's and the vast majority of severe tornados are in south central KS and the western part and north eastern parts are nowhere near at risk.

List of F5 and EF5 tornadoes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-01-2013, 04:51 PM

20 posts, read 65,055 times
Thank you for the replies. We'll continue with the research.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:07 PM

177 posts, read 458,241 times
For in-depth tornado research, try this site: Tornado History Project: Maps and Statistics

You can investigate tornadoes back to 1950 for any state or county. It will also let you filter by Fujita strenth, and you can see the number of injuries and deaths caused by each. I find it very useful.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:34 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
I was born and spent my first 12-13 years in NE Kansas, then moved to Iowa. My mom liked the idea of moving to Iowa because tornadoes scared the wits out of her. (Skip ahead a decade.) My older sister and her husband bought a farm a few miles out of town. In the first 10-15 years there they were hit with 5 (yes FIVE) major tornadoes, each one taking one or two farm buildings and a tree or two. The house was the only thing spared, but it was getting old so they finally tore it down and built a new one. The next year a twister came through and took the roof from the new house and nabbed the attached garage.

Some places get more tornadoes, but almost anywhere you can pick you're at risk from one. I wouldn't rule out Kansas due to tornado activity. Just get a place with a basement or storm cellar.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:59 PM

Talking 3 other sources say different

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
OK has the most F5's and the vast majority of severe tornados are in south central KS and the western part and north eastern parts are nowhere near at risk.

List of F5 and EF5 tornadoes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
On a site called tornado alley,and also THE NAT WEATHER SERVICE which I trust more than Wikipedia which is written by amateurs--also the book about the huge tornado that wrecked Topeka ks-it's called And Hell Came with it--all say that Ks has recorded the most f5s.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:02 PM

Also, I sure would not make the bald statement that N E ks is "nowhere near at risk".Any place in the south or Midwest U S is at risk,particularly the places in what is called"tornadao alley".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas