Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 09:00 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,125,165 times

Advertisements

As I've said before. I have lived in Kansas City, Missouri. Got out. Never going back. I love Johnson County. Haters gonna hate. But the truth is, Overland Park is always near the top of Money Magazine's BEST PLACES TO LIVE every year and there is a reason for that. Bash it all you want, but others obviously think it's a great place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
That is not a mischaracterization. The wealthiest zipcodes in JOCO tend to be closer to Missouri and a few in southern Overland Park. The old money resides in the Mission Hills through Leawood corridor. The newer money is in parts of Overland Park, Olathe and scattered around elsewhere. Culturally, Leawood and Prairie Village really don't share anything in common with parts of Gardner and Olathe even though they are all within the same county.
Um...what does it matter if the wealthier zip codes are "closer to Missouri?" They are not IN Missouri, are they? No, they are in Johnson County, Kansas.

And what difference does new money/old money make? Actually, I would argue that a lot of the "old money" that USED to reside in Mission Hills and old Leawood has now moved to new Leawood/new Overland Park and also Stilwell. But again, what does it matter?

Old 08-29-2013, 10:07 PM

12,882 posts, read 13,548,684 times
JOCO and Lawrence always get the nod but IMO they are not very unique to Kansas. Lawrence is just like most Midwestern Large university towns, Bloomington, Terre Haut, Columbus; they all have the same feel. JOCO is like most other upscale suburbs around the Midwest and perhaps the country. Why not take a road trip across the state? Go from Goodland to Marysville, Atchison, and Manhattan to Salina and see the parts of Kansas that are somewhat more representative and unique to the state. You might be surprised to see how many people in Lawrence and JOCO are not from Kansas and don't intend to stay, meaning there are lots of students and corporate transfers.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:15 PM

638 posts, read 617,346 times
So calling a place conservative counts as "bashing" these days?

Old 08-29-2013, 10:19 PM

Why are some of you so set on talking the OP OUT of moving to Johnson County when he clearly said it sounds like what he is looking for? He described what he wanted and Johnson County fits the bill. So why direct him to places that DON'T have those things?

And of course there are a lot of students in Lawrence and of course they don't plan to stay. I don't know anyone who plans to be a permanent student. It's kind of to be expected that people come and go in a college town. But besides the student population, there are a lot of people who choose Douglas County to retire. And of course college professors who live in Lawrence and don't leave. But still, Lawrence doesn't have what the OP asked for.

About Johnson County and people not intending to stay: I beg to differ. As I said, I have lived in Johnson County almost all of my life and I don't know ANY corporate transfers not intending to stay. I'm sure there are corporate transfers with Sprint in Overland Park. But the people I know in JOCO have been here for years and have no intention of leaving. In fact, only one person I know personally in the last 27 years has left, and that was a doctor who was a resident while he was here and moved after his residency to join a practice in another state. Some of our best friends today are parents whose kids started kindergarten with our kids in the 1990s. They are still here, and so are we.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:40 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,632,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Why are some of you so set on talking the OP OUT of moving to Johnson County when he clearly said it sounds like what he is looking for? He described what he wanted and Johnson County fits the bill. So why direct him to places that DON'T have those things?

And of course there are a lot of students in Lawrence and of course they don't plan to stay. I don't know anyone who plans to be a permanent student. It's kind of to be expected that people come and go in a college town. But besides the student population, there are a lot of people who choose Douglas County to retire. And of course college professors who live in Lawrence and don't leave. But still, Lawrence doesn't have what the OP asked for.

About Johnson County and people not intending to stay: I beg to differ. As I said, I have lived in Johnson County almost all of my life and I don't know ANY corporate transfers not intending to stay. I'm sure there are corporate transfers with Sprint in Overland Park. But the people I know in JOCO have been here for years and have no intention of leaving. In fact, only one person I know personally in the last 27 years has left, and that was a doctor who was a resident while he was here and moved after his residency to join a practice in another state. Some of our best friends today are parents whose kids started kindergarten with our kids in the 1990s. They are still here, and so are we.
Respectfully, luzianne, this is not just another JOCO bashing thread. But you are reacting as though it is. And if it were, I would be equally frustrated with it.

Kansas is conservative....and that is why it is warmer and friendlier than San Francisco, Berkeley, Portland, Seattle, and every other community infected by the poison of the radical left. Wear Kansas conservatism with pride! For it is the reason that JOCO is a great place for a young family.

There has been no real bashing here - just statement of the fact of Kansas conservatism. It is a compliment....whether or not it is meant that way by all who state it.

I am much more familiar with the mindset of the west coast liberal than I would like to be. Kansas is not their kind of place. Because what they're really looking for is apple pie and ice cream with no calories.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:05 AM

5,996 posts, read 7,052,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeOregon View Post
What part of Kansas fits this criteria. I don't mean it has to be radically liberal, but neither do I want a bible-thumping area. Which cities are like that?
Your thread title is an oxymoron. Liberals are the most intolerant people in America; if you're pro life, they say you're against women, if you support the second amendment, they call you a gun nut, if you don't agree with Obama's agenda; you're a racist. The liberal mantra is, "think how I think, say what I say, do what I do and most importantly, vote how I vote, because if you don't I will destroy you!" Liberalism is destroying America. Question everything, especially liberal authority

Old 08-30-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Respectfully, luzianne, this is not just another JOCO bashing thread. But you are reacting as though it is. And if it were, I would be equally frustrated with it.

Kansas is conservative....and that is why it is warmer and friendlier than San Francisco, Berkeley, Portland, Seattle, and every other community infected by the poison of the radical left. Wear Kansas conservatism with pride! For it is the reason that JOCO is a great place for a young family.

There has been no real bashing here - just statement of the fact of Kansas conservatism. It is a compliment....whether or not it is meant that way by all who state it.

I am much more familiar with the mindset of the west coast liberal than I would like to be. Kansas is not their kind of place. Because what they're really looking for is apple pie and ice cream with no calories.
I'm not referring to people saying Kansas is conservative. I am referring to people trying to tell the OP Kansas isn't where he wants to be, when he clearly has stated that what has been described is what he is looking for.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:11 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,632,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Your thread title is an oxymoron. Liberals are the most intolerant people in America; if you're pro life, they say you're against women, if you support the second amendment, they call you a gun nut, if you don't agree with Obama's agenda; you're a racist. The liberal mantra is, "think how I think, say what I say, do what I do and most importantly, vote how I vote, because if you don't I will destroy you!" Liberalism is destroying America. Question everything, especially liberal authority
Indeed.

Because it is the very "open-mindedness" that they are driven to impose on all others that has ripped to shreds the social fabric, and thus the life quality, of the communities from which they seek to escape. The ultimate irony is that they then search for an oasis of warmth and security in a conservative state like Kansas, Nevada, Arizona, or South Dakota....states that have thus far kept the disease that is liberalism from spreading epidemically within their borders.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:15 PM

26,374 posts, read 46,217,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post

I'm sorry but you are overgeneralizing and stereotyping again. The fact of the matter is Kansas is not any better place to raise a family than many other parts of the country. Many young people must leave in order to have a good career if they don't stay in JOCO or a very small number of other places in the state. That is just the fact that it is a rural state. The bigger cities that have higher educational attainment tend to have a university or college to draw a solid pool of talent from. This is why you have places like Silicon Valley, Seattle, Austin, Denver, Boston, Madison, that act as talent magnets. You act like those places don't have inherent advantages over most other places in the country, but claim that they just aren't good places to have a family either? Makes no sense. I did initially try quite a number of methods to find employment in my career field which is specialized in the KC metro area, but Madison offered me a great opportunity with a growing tech company in the Geographic Information Systems sector.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas