Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 08:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,019 times

Advertisements

Sorry for the really ignorant question, but I have lived in California my entire life and really have no idea. My wife and I are thinking of moving the family to Kansas. We are looking at the Wichita and Kansas City suburbs. We are both hard working professionals. My wife is a public school teacher and I work in construction management. I am of hispanic heritage and my wife is white. Both of our kids look Hispanic. Are there a fair amount Hispanics in the suburbs of those metro areas? Not 50%, but maybe 10-15%? Will we be looked down upon for being a mixed race family? We are both conservative/libertarian leaning, looking for a better family environment and stability then California can offer. My wife does not want our kids being the only Hispanics in their classes. Anyways, sorry for the ignorant question, I've only been to small town Illinois and got a few looks there, so I figured it was worth asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 04:16 AM

12,962 posts, read 13,673,944 times
Hispanics are probally the largest minority group in Kansas slightly out pacing blacks by a few percentage points in many cities and suburbs. Hispanics in Kansas no doubt goes back to over 100 years from the Sante Fe Trail days and the Railroads. Kansas City Kansas has a mostly Hispanic area of town called Argentine. Many people worked at Argentine Steel in those days.

http://www.wycokck.org/assets/ab8df6...bdfa9ec8a7.pdf

The town of Argentine, Kansas, had its beginning in 1880, when the first plat was filed for
an area to house workers for the adjacent Santa Fe Railroad and the Kansas City Consolidated
Smelting and Refining Company.

I knew a few Golden Gloves champs that went to school with me who lived there, Boxing was a big deal in Argentine.
Back during the Clinton Administration I use to hear one family had lawyer in the State Government, Federal Government, and County Government.
In Kansas City and Wichta the Hispanic population is going to be in the 15-30% range.
Home - KHLAAC

Old 09-09-2013, 04:52 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagerman562 View Post
Sorry for the really ignorant question, but I have lived in California my entire life and really have no idea. My wife and I are thinking of moving the family to Kansas. We are looking at the Wichita and Kansas City suburbs. We are both hard working professionals. My wife is a public school teacher and I work in construction management. I am of hispanic heritage and my wife is white. Both of our kids look Hispanic. Are there a fair amount Hispanics in the suburbs of those metro areas? Not 50%, but maybe 10-15%? Will we be looked down upon for being a mixed race family? We are both conservative/libertarian leaning, looking for a better family environment and stability then California can offer. My wife does not want our kids being the only Hispanics in their classes. Anyways, sorry for the ignorant question, I've only been to small town Illinois and got a few looks there, so I figured it was worth asking.
Your question is not ignorant. As far as prejudice, you'll find that from ignorant people just about anywhere. Here is KS? I live in the KC Metro area, have been here nearly 20 yrs (orig from CA) and have never seen, or heard, of anyone looking down on someone who is not Caucasian; and/or mixed race relationships. I personally have no tolerance for anyone who thinks they are better than others based on the pigmentation of their skin.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:22 AM

1,978 posts, read 1,552,794 times
I would not give it another thought, other than try and situate yourself in a conservative minded area.
I wanted to say welcome to you and I know you will appreciate the great life you will find in Kansas.

Last edited by Dustyroad70; 09-09-2013 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: hit wrong button

Old 09-09-2013, 01:25 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,352,667 times
I agree with the other posters. Kansas is very welcoming of new people, and in the six years we have lived here, I haven't witnessed the kind of bigotry you're wary of.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:47 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagerman562 View Post
My fiance is 1/2 mexican and has never had the tiniest issue in the KC burbs and neither will you.

I'm white and I get "funny looks" in small towns in Illinois because.....they are small towns. They see the same people all the time and are just checking you out to see if you are a new family or whatever.

I think there is more "racial" focus where you are coming from than here.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:03 PM

4 posts, read 5,590 times
Everyone in the world is prejudice, but not everyone is racist.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:08 PM

4 posts, read 5,590 times
Default Everyone in the world is prejudice, but not everyone is racist

everyone has prejudged someone or something at some point in their life, this is a fact.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:04 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,238,044 times
You are making a big mistake to think the Wichita and Kansas City are anywhere alike.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:15 AM

16 posts, read 35,249 times
Wichita and Kansas City have a number of differences (as posters on this forum will gladly elaborate), but in terms of accepting mixed Hislanic / white marriages, I think you should be fine in either place. I come from a semi-rural area near Wichita and even there I don't think it would really be an issue. Sounds like you would fit in well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
View detailed profiles of: