Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 02:54 PM

95 posts, read 393,542 times

Advertisements

Why on earth has Kansas made it so difficult to get a state ID? My mother went to get one today and was told she couldn't because she didn't have a marriage/divorce license from over 35 years ago. She was told her birth certificate and old state ID couldn't be used because the last names didn't match. Um....over 30 years of using them, federal job, 4 different state drivers licenses and Kansas won't take it. I'm sorry but that is messed up. She has a valid state ID from where we used to live but can't get one from here. Why has Kansas made it so difficult?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 04:58 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,181,628 times
They are probably being much stricter due to identity theft. The thieves put them in this position, so they want better proof. Yes, it is a hassle, but it helps to stop the wrong person from walking out of there with an id card for your mother.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:08 AM

I would agree with that BUT she has a federal ID with her name and pic on it, mortgage papers with her name on it, medical records with her name on it, as well as a different state's ID with name and pic on it...why demand 38 year old records that no one keeps that long? It's ridiculous. She has to wait almost 6 months for these records just to have a different state's ID. One would think that having a valid ID would be proof of your identity.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:12 AM

25,788 posts, read 21,942,589 times
Rules have become more strict. Illegal IDs and papers are readily available. So, in 30 years, your mother didn't make the necessary name changes? The appears to be the problem. Can't she apply on line for a copy of the marriage license? I actually have mine from my first marriage that ended in divorce. It is a good idea to always keep any legal documents until you die.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Rules have become more strict. Illegal IDs and papers are readily available. So, in 30 years, your mother didn't make the necessary name changes? The appears to be the problem. Can't she apply on line for a copy of the marriage license? I actually have mine from my first marriage that ended in divorce. It is a good idea to always keep any legal documents until you die.

What necessary name changes? People do not change birth certificates because they get married/divorced. Everything is under her married name and has never been a problem (from joining the military, working for the government, etc) until now. And no, she cannot apply online for a duplicate copy (it says on the state's website it is over a 6 month wait for these documents) and why on earth would you keep something that old?

Old 10-23-2013, 05:58 PM

I think you have answered your own question as to why she would have to keep something that old, think getting a state ID. They have a list of documents that they will accept and they must adhere to that. So, she never changed her name when she was married and has been using her maiden name all of these years? See if this helps you understand: Kansas Department of Revenue - Driver's License Proof of Identity as I believe the requirements are the same for a driver's license as they are for the ID card, other than the "driving" part.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I think you have answered your own question as to why she would have to keep something that old, think getting a state ID. They have a list of documents that they will accept and they must adhere to that. So, she never changed her name when she was married and has been using her maiden name all of these years? See if this helps you understand: Kansas Department of Revenue - Driver's License Proof of Identity as I believe the requirements are the same for a driver's license as they are for the ID card, other than the "driving" part.
No, she has used her married name even after the divorce. I read the site you provided when we were first moving here and it states one from A and one from B,C,OR D. Well, on part D it specifically states a valid ID or Drivers Licence from another state. So, according to their own website she should have had no problem getting a new Kansas state ID. She has proven her identity to the VA in town, the mortgage company, the bank, public utilities, and yet she cannot get an ID. It's mind boggling. The clerk said the problem was that her name didn't match the birth certificate since she was married almost 40 years ago. No one changes their birth certificate when they marry.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:12 AM

Yes, no one changes their birth certificate when they marry and that is why it is necessary to have a copy of the marriage certificate showing the reason, legal, for a name change. Keeping original copies of such legal papers is very important.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:49 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,185,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHitchhiker View Post
No, she has used her married name even after the divorce. I read the site you provided when we were first moving here and it states one from A and one from B,C,OR D. Well, on part D it specifically states a valid ID or Drivers Licence from another state. So, according to their own website she should have had no problem getting a new Kansas state ID. She has proven her identity to the VA in town, the mortgage company, the bank, public utilities, and yet she cannot get an ID. It's mind boggling. The clerk said the problem was that her name didn't match the birth certificate since she was married almost 40 years ago. No one changes their birth certificate when they marry.
You also have to show a marriage license to get a new SS card if your name is different than the name on your birth certificate because of marriage. It is what it is.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:45 PM

978 posts, read 2,047,089 times
Wow, a 6 month wait for a marriage license copy. That seems ridiculous. In MO, I can walk into the register of deeds and have one in hand in about 10 minutes.

Does she have a passport and SS card with her married name on it? Most states will accept a passport instead of a birth certificate.

When I transferred my license to MO, I just showed my passport, previous drivers license, and SS card. Of course, this probably only works if the last names are the same. I've heard of some states being picky because certain states do not include the full middle name, but only the initial. This creates a problem when moving to state with the full name on the ID.

Yes, it is annoying that the process is so difficult, but I understand why. It makes it harder for people to obtain IDs illegally and prevents people from getting IDs in someone elses name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas