Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2007, 09:01 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,869,325 times

Advertisements

Interested in these two places as well as a couple of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 11:09 AM

626 posts, read 992,691 times
I wish they would stop rebuilding Lawrence. Why don't just let burn and be done with it?

Old 11-23-2007, 02:19 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Columbia is a little bigger than Lawrence, but both towns are growing in population. Lawrence is closer to a large metro area (KC) compared with Columbia which is in the middle of Missouri.
Lawrence is probably a little more liberal politically compared with Columbia, but both towns would probably be liberal.
Many people live in Lawrence, KS and commute to jobs that are located in Topeka and the KC metro area. Growth issues spark constant debate in Lawrence because it is turning into a bedroom community to both the KC metro and Topeka.

Old 11-25-2007, 07:11 AM

84 posts, read 370,683 times
Check out Overland Park, KS. We just recently moved from Kansas City, MO and would have moved to OP, KS for the schools if we had to move out of state for a job. I miss it terribly. You also might check into Lees Summit, MO (surrounding town to KC) as it is growing rapidly too. I have never been to Columbia but love Lawrence as I went to school there. It is a beautiful college town that is very close to Kansas City so you are never lacking in something to do. If you are set on choosing b/w Lawrence & Colubmia, I have several good friends that went to school in Columbia and they say that Lawrence is a much more beautiful town than Columbia. Good luck!

Old 11-26-2007, 06:39 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Default I vote - Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC to NC View Post
Check out Overland Park, KS. We just recently moved from Kansas City, MO and would have moved to OP, KS for the schools if we had to move out of state for a job. I miss it terribly. You also might check into Lees Summit, MO (surrounding town to KC) as it is growing rapidly too. I have never been to Columbia but love Lawrence as I went to school there. It is a beautiful college town that is very close to Kansas City so you are never lacking in something to do. If you are set on choosing b/w Lawrence & Colubmia, I have several good friends that went to school in Columbia and they say that Lawrence is a much more beautiful town than Columbia. Good luck!
KC to NC - where are you in NC???? We moved here from Johnson County, KS. I miss the whole region - a wonderful place to raise a family. And I am an NC native, LOL!!! LOVED KCMO. I am in Charlotte now (grew up here). Job relocation. Would not have left otherwise!!!! Miss the Plaza Lights this time of year . . .

Okay - OP - hubby is Mizzou graduate but also taught (adjunct faculty) at KU. We have ties in Columbia but if I had to pick b/n Lawrence and Columbia - we would choose Lawrence, KS. Lived in Johnson County for over a decade - great place, good cost of living, great schools. Lots of terrific areas in the KCMO metro area . . . as KC to NC said - Lees Summit is one of them.

Hope you find a home! If you don't want to stay in the midwest - come to Charlotte - the areas are very similar as far as cost of living. Better public schools in KCMO metro, tho (according to scores and rankings). But mountains and beach are near Charlotte!

Good luck!!!!

Old 11-27-2007, 12:49 PM

84 posts, read 370,683 times
Hey Anifani, I sent you a PM!

Old 11-27-2007, 01:01 PM

296 posts, read 1,182,982 times
In what sense is Lawrence considered a "much more beautiful town" than Columbia? More trees? Green space? Nicer neighborhoods?

Just curious.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:19 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
I've never been to Columbia, so I can't compare. But I've never heard anything bad about it.

I love Lawrence though - the only place in Kansas I would consider living. It's a fun college town and with the university in the middle (a beautiful campus on a hill overlooking the town), you get a lot of the cultural ammenities of a big city (concerts, art, etc.) with the feel of a smaller town downtown. Lots of interesting stores/bars/restaurants downtown too.

It's a liberal city too, if that's important to you. It's sort of like living in a bubble compared to the rest of Kansas.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:45 AM

55 posts, read 299,190 times
For all the similarities between Lawrence and Columbia, the key difference is that Columbia functions as more of a regional center of commerce, whereas Lawrence is very localized and specialized. Columbia is located in the center of the state halfway between St Louis and Kansas City, whereas Lawrence is only about 30 minutes from either Topeka or Kansas City. Being so close to those two larger cities means that Lawrence has to compete (in terms of shopping, dining, jobs, entertainment, etc) with those cities, it is not a natural draw, bringing people in from countryside. Columbia is exactly the opposite in those terms. Lots of people from the rural areas of central Missouri shop and work in Columbia, so you'll notice that the city is very bustling. Columbia has more a broad appeal in that way, whereas Lawrence has development strong niche markets and niche appeal and has thus grown to become an appealing bedroom community for Kansas City and Topeka for those who can afford it and are drawn to it for its unique qualities.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:19 AM

12 posts, read 51,514 times
I went to school in Lawrence and have family in Columbia. I love both of these towns. But I am partial to Lawrence. Both are liberal college towns.

Lawrence
Strong sense of community – grassroots local pride
Very welcoming
30 minutes to Kansas City (international airport) – very convenient
Close enough to work in Topeka or Kansas City
Great downtown – tons of restaurants, bars, and shops on Mass St.

Columbia
Strong sense of community – tied more to the university, Mizzou stuff is everywhere
More spread out
2 hours to an international airport (Kansas City or St. Louis) – huge hassle
Not much immediately around Columbia
Great downtown right by the university

To me, Lawrence wins by a long shot. I would happily move back there someday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas