Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 06:44 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Yes, it does because Brownback is right in the pockets of big business and corporate agriculture interests. This is exactly the stance of Koch as they will always have the backing of the biggest business and ag interests instead of caring anything at all about local issues. That is why co-ops remain the stalwart against corporate advances in many areas as they have farmer (member) interests in mind.
Also, it is highly unlikely that Brownback would ever call for a sharp reduction in subsidy payments to the largest corporate farms in the state, often in the SW corner of the state. These operations have direct linkages that feed the massive complex of feedlots and packing plants in the vicinity of Garden City, Dodge City, and Liberal...
Seriously, look back at that post and how you responded....it was a complete WTH????

It just seemed to be a bizarre disjuncture. That's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 08:08 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Yes, it does because Brownback is right in the pockets of big business and corporate agriculture interests. This is exactly the stance of Koch as they will always have the backing of the biggest business and ag interests instead of caring anything at all about local issues. That is why co-ops remain the stalwart against corporate advances in many areas as they have farmer (member) interests in mind.
Also, it is highly unlikely that Brownback would ever call for a sharp reduction in subsidy payments to the largest corporate farms in the state, often in the SW corner of the state. These operations have direct linkages that feed the massive complex of feedlots and packing plants in the vicinity of Garden City, Dodge City, and Liberal...
Once again, how does this affect you? You don't live in or pay taxes in Kansas.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:48 PM

So basically, it's ok to have one elected person with complete control over ag development in a county......as long as someone can invoke "Koch brothers". Seriously?

Old 01-23-2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Once again, how does this affect you? You don't live in or pay taxes in Kansas.
Well, at least they live in a vastly urban area....unlike Lenexa which they are obviously so well acquainted. Oh wait! they were wrong about population density and instead ignored our posts and instead again substituted imagination. Bottom line, axe grinding is not holding up to reality.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:42 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Is what state are family farms thriving? What about family businesses in general? I'm thinking no state that I have heard of lately. I generally vote for the lesser of the evils and it has been a tough choice lately, lesser of the very most evil!

As for what happens to Medicaid monies, those for mental health, etc., I'm guessing the same thing that happens with the monies for people like my adult son with developmental disabilities. Most goes to admin. They have so many levels that by the time it gets to those at the bottom, the pickins' are thin! You have the state level with all those people sitting a desk waiting for retirement since, really, the administration of services and even funds falls on contractors and in the case of the developmentally disabled, called "CDDOs" and these are people that don't work with people with DD but just with the funding. And, then, you have what amounts to sub-contractors that actually provide the services to the population that is supposed to be, stress "supposed to be" served. And, then, Medicaid, for the most part, was contracted out to 3 different insurance companies that people on Medicaid can choose from. To further complicate and add yet another layer of admin, the insurance companies want to step into the services for the developmentally disabled and see what cuts they can make in the services although that isn't the way they explain it, that is what it amounts to. Just saw a letter that KS is supposed to get their act together for the "underserved", those that get some services but are waiting for others. The state cannot add any more names. Waiting for residential services was 5 years for my son and the programs are so dicey and, from my observation, nothing desirable unless the other choice was to be homeless so we passed. I'm guessing the other programs like physical disabilities and mental health probably mirror this "situation". And, yes, I have been addressing the system both for adults and children for almost 25 years. To much money is being spent to "administrate" the funds and programs but try to find someone that gives a darn and won't just brush you off despite the horrors you are trying to address and you'll find nothing but buck passing!!!

Sebelius needs to be shipped to somewhere where she can weave baskets. She is making waves in D.C. that will haunt us just like she did in KS. I called 4 different offices last week trying to get someone to explain a new policy on Medicaid that she is trying to enforce as I needed an explanation to how this could be implemented when there was already a long waiting list and putting more restrictions in place would only make that waiting list grow since the money isn't there.

All states are in trouble. KS has always shunned competition coming into the state for any existing businesses (someone might come in and pay a decent wage with decent benefits) and that is coming back to bite the state in the butt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas