Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 05:01 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,235,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Your state is near rock bottom in school quality. Is it due to falsehoods or a FU whippersnapper attitude and general ignorance of your residents?

Yes....

Old 12-26-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman0457 View Post
Not sure. I spent the majority of my life in Bergen County NJ, and Long Island NY where the schools are generally exceptional and the local taxes are high.
Florida OTOH, offers a little piece of everything, and is not nearly as culturally monolithic as Kansas. There is poverty, bad schools, disenfranchised weirdos, but there is a ton of cultural diversity and great wealth and culture as well. I guess that's why we're a swing state unlike Kansas, where there is little that can't be defined by the results of every election.
Rick Scott, I will posit, is an unmitigated disaster for education.

Interesting:
How States Compare in the 2013 Best High Schools Rankings - US News and World Report

One ******* says Kansas is "monolithic", while the other testifies that the public schools of Kansas are much, much better than the evil Koch brothers insinuate. Which ******* do we believe?

Old 12-26-2013, 05:42 PM

26,408 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
JoCo is an anomaly?

No....Madison is an anomaly....as are the vast majority of other major college towns.
Madison has one of the best economies in the Midwest in one of the most desirable natural settings. The fact that it has so many amenities while retaining a smaller city feel is a good anomaly for those that don't care to live in large metros.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:42 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Madison has one of the best economies in the Midwest in one of the most desirable natural settings. The fact that it has so many amenities while retaining a smaller city feel is a good anomaly for those that don't care to live in large metros.
Do you remember what the context was? You're off on 3 tangents here that were not called into question.

The context was your contention that "Younger people I do talk with have zero interest in living in suburban areas". That's because in Madison you're talking to a lot of college kids who haven't a clue about how their lives will change and what their priorities will be five years from now. That's the anomaly....and JoCo is much more representative of the lifestyle chosen when young people move on in their lives post-college.

In summary....Madison is college....JoCo is real life. Hope that helps.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:54 PM

26,408 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Do you remember what the context was? You're off on 3 tangents here that were not called into question.

The context was your contention that "Younger people I do talk with have zero interest in living in suburban areas". That's because in Madison you're talking to a lot of college kids who haven't a clue about how their lives will change and what their priorities will be five years from now. That's the anomaly....and JoCo is much more representative of the lifestyle chosen when young people move on in their lives post-college.

In summary....Madison is college....JoCo is real life. Hope that helps.
You haven't been to Madison lately. The region has strong private sector growth and I expect that to continue. Also, Dane county has many suburban choices to complement the urban choices. The one downside is higher property taxes. I would not live in JOCO again because it is too overpopulated with a climate that is too. Large cities are stressful.Others might like JOCO if they strictly prefer suburbs. I'm forecasting the overall growth rate of the county to be lower this decade compared to the prior one.

Sun Prairie had an unemployment rate earlier this year of about 1% recently if you want evidence of the local economic conditions.
If KCMO continues positive economic growth with more gentrification I think you will start to see a bit more in the way of demographic shifting as well. However, demographics are trending more statist with time as fewer and fewer people move around.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:33 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
You haven't been to Madison lately. The region has strong private sector growth and I expect that to continue. Also, Dane county has many suburban choices to complement the urban choices. The one downside is higher property taxes. I would not live in JOCO again because it is too overpopulated with a climate that is too. Large cities are stressful.Others might like JOCO if they strictly prefer suburbs. I'm forecasting the overall growth rate of the county to be lower this decade compared to the prior one.

Sun Prairie had an unemployment rate earlier this year of about 1% recently if you want evidence of the local economic conditions.
If KCMO continues positive economic growth with more gentrification I think you will start to see a bit more in the way of demographic shifting as well. However, demographics are trending more statist with time as fewer and fewer people move around.
That is neither here nor there. Nor does this discussion really have any point or much interest to me or most others.

You are the one who threw the anomaly label out there. And all I'm saying is that if you're looking at Madison and JoCo with an eye toward pinning that label on one or the other, 9 of 10 would pin that tail on Madison.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:36 PM

93 posts, read 260,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
One ******* says Kansas is "monolithic", while the other testifies that the public schools of Kansas are much, much better than the evil Koch brothers insinuate. Which ******* do we believe?
What can one say in the face of such genius?

Find the dummy?

Elizabeth Warren, the antidote to CNBC : Columbia Journalism Review

Old 12-26-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman0457 View Post
What can one say in the face of such genius?

Find the dummy?

Elizabeth Warren, the antidote to CNBC : Columbia Journalism Review

Ask the Messiah.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:21 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,165,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
Yayyyyyy!!!!! I said "*******" hahahah. Its like liberal and retard combined. Get it? Get it? Get it? I didn't agree with what they said so I repeated a funny, clever ingenious insult that I heard on the AM radio!!!! I'm SO clever. Look how clever I am!!!!Yayyyy!!!!!

Old 12-28-2013, 08:23 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Yayyyyyy!!!!! I said "*******" hahahah. Its like liberal and retard combined. Get it? Get it? Get it? I didn't agree with what they said so I repeated a funny, clever ingenious insult that I heard on the AM radio!!!! I'm SO clever. Look how clever I am!!!!Yayyyy!!!!!
put down the pipe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas