Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2013, 08:07 PM

37 posts, read 82,418 times

Advertisements

I’m a single male in my 30s from the east coast considering applying for a job in Topeka. My concerns are that the area doesn’t seem to have the best reputation for being a great place for transplants or for singles based on what I’ve read so far in this forum. This job would also involve shift work which can be an added challenge socially. On the other hand this could be a great opportunity for me career wise so I’m really torn! I’m open minded and reluctant to draw any conclusions based on what I’ve read so far so looking for any additional thoughts people may have…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 02:11 PM

26,400 posts, read 46,389,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormguy80 View Post
I’m a single male in my 30s from the east coast considering applying for a job in Topeka. My concerns are that the area doesn’t seem to have the best reputation for being a great place for transplants or for singles based on what I’ve read so far in this forum. This job would also involve shift work which can be an added challenge socially. On the other hand this could be a great opportunity for me career wise so I’m really torn! I’m open minded and reluctant to draw any conclusions based on what I’ve read so far so looking for any additional thoughts people may have…
Your research is correct. Topeka, unfortunately, is NOT one of the better state capitol cities of its size in the US. The social culture is not good for single people or transplants as it does tend to be more insular. Most single people would be in the university towns, Lawrence and Manhattan, and the majority would be younger. If you could expand your search to potential job openings in Kansas City that would be better as the culture shock would not be nearly as enormous and more options for singles. Kansas City does not rank well either for single people, but would be miles ahead of Topeka.
Many people do WORK in Topeka and LIVE in Lawrence so that might be something to consider.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 12-08-2013 at 08:50 PM..

Old 12-08-2013, 05:05 PM

Hmmm.that's unfortunate but thanks for your input Granite Stater . I appreciate it. Unfortunately right now job opportunities in my field are extremely limited nation wide and will be for the foreseeable future so this position in Topeka is my only current option and may be for quite sometime. Tough call.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:55 PM

26,400 posts, read 46,389,722 times
Quote:
Hmmm.that's unfortunate but thanks for your input Granite Stater . I appreciate it. Unfortunately right now job opportunities in my field are extremely limited nation wide and will be for the foreseeable future so this position in Topeka is my only current option and may be for quite sometime. Tough call.
Go where the jobs are if that is the case... I've moved many times to follow good jobs. Lawrence is a very neat town (I've lived there) with lots of activities and KU sports events. Downtown Lawrence is great with many locally owned shops and restaurants. KC to Topeka is a 1 hour drive so if you want more of an urban lifestyle.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:52 PM

32 posts, read 89,319 times
It really depends on what you want in a town and what you mean by "a great place for singles". I'm single and I moved here three years ago for a job. Other than a high crime rate it's not bad.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:33 PM

great place for singles = place with plenty of young datable people who are single. If you're one of the only ones who are then it's not so good! Anyway, applied but didn't get the job.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:23 PM

10 posts, read 38,052 times
Quote:
Live in the west side of Lawrence like all the other Topeka-workers. The commute west from there isn't bad at all and, on the weekends, head east to "Mass Street" for fun (or even further east to KCMO).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas