Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2014, 08:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,879 times

Advertisements

I'm considering graduate school at K State, and I was wondering what life is like in Kansas for someone who identifies as agnostic/atheist. Any thoughts or experiences you'd like to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 02:31 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onwisconsin23 View Post
I'm considering graduate school at K State, and I was wondering what life is like in Kansas for someone who identifies as agnostic/atheist. Any thoughts or experiences you'd like to share?
Not an issue at all if you live in the university town. KU and Lawrence is just about the only liberal area in the state. KSU and Manhattan leans more moderate overall.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:57 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Manhattan (KSU) leans more conservative than KU (Lawrence), but like GS said, it's a college town. You will find all kinds there; you'll be fine.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:50 PM

335 posts, read 409,867 times
Firstly congratulations on making it to graduate school it takes a lot of work . You can seek agnotics via the internet
as you doing . Colleges are the stumping grounds for agnostics and christians can dump their childhood adolescent
faith upon entering (it's college after all and a place to develop philosophies that help dump God and Jesus Christ)
Pagan groups such as wiccan's are in that loop as well so you can even go pagan which is cool. There is an agnos-
tic/ atheist thread you can find here . Remember God is a bad man and you are god.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:00 PM

260 posts, read 428,071 times
I would rather live in a religious town as an atheist than live near the Westboro Baptist Church as a Christian. Steer clear of that train wreck and you'll be just fine.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:58 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,120,062 times
So, finally, I just have to say it. I don't see why KS is even considered a Bible "thumper" area. I was shocked when I came here in the late 70's and saw all of the underage drinking, out-of-wedlock pregnancies, cursing in the public, etc. This was years ago. Now, multiply it times 10 and add illegal drugs and laws against them not being enforced and other criminal activities. Not in line with the Bible I know. Seriously, anyone with any sort of moral code coming into the state would be a welcome. I sometimes think people become confused and feel that "conservative" means Bible "thumpers" which it does not.

Manhattan, KS has a very diverse population especially since Fort Riley is right next door. It is a good area, one of the best in KS which I have learned the hard way.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:30 AM

455 posts, read 771,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
So, finally, I just have to say it. I don't see why KS is even considered a Bible "thumper" area. I was shocked when I came here in the late 70's and saw all of the underage drinking, out-of-wedlock pregnancies, cursing in the public, etc. This was years ago. Now, multiply it times 10 and add illegal drugs and laws against them not being enforced and other criminal activities. Not in line with the Bible I know. Seriously, anyone with any sort of moral code coming into the state would be a welcome. I sometimes think people become confused and feel that "conservative" means Bible "thumpers" which it does not.
Add marrying very young and often (think third and fourth marriages) to your list. These traits and bad habits are commonplace in the southern bible belt states, Arkansas, East Texas, Louisiana, MS, BAMA, Kentucky, SC all come to mind.

Kansas still does rank in the top 15 most religious states in the U.S.

Mississippi: 61 percent
Utah: 60 percent
Alabama: 57 percent
Louisiana: 56 percent
South Carolina: 54 percent
Tennessee: 54 percent
Georgia: 52 percent
Arkansas: 51 percent
North Carolina: 50 percent
Oklahoma: 49 percent
Kentucky: 49 percent
Texas: 48 percent
Idaho: 47 percent
Nebraska: 47 percent
Kansas: 47 percent
South Dakota: 46 percent
North Dakota: 46 percent
Indiana: 46 percent
Missouri: 44 percent
Virginia: 44 percent
Iowa: 43 percent
West Virginia: 42 percent
Florida: 42 percent
Minnesota: 42 percent
Ohio: 41 percent
New Mexico: 41 percent
Pennsylvania: 41 percent
Michigan: 41 percent
Illinois: 39 percent
Maryland: 39 percent
Wisconsin: 38 percent
Montana: 38 percent
Alaska: 38 percent
Wyoming: 36 percent
New Jersey: 36 percent
Delaware: 36 percent
Arizona: 36 percent
Colorado: 35 percent
Rhode Island: 34 percent
California: 34 percent
New York: 34 percent
District of Columbia: 32 percent
Hawaii: 32 percent
Connecticut: 32 percent
Washington: 32 percent
Nevada: 32 percent
Oregon: 31 percent
Massachusetts: 28 percent
Maine: 24 percent
New Hampshire: 24 percent
Vermont: 22 percent

Old 04-04-2014, 11:06 AM

14 posts, read 18,799 times
You will be fine in Manhattan, but the overall culture is about as conservative as it could get for a large state college with a prevalent liberal arts program. There is also an army base within a few miles of town, which tends to add to the overall conservative mindset. AT the same time, there is a lot of fun happening all of the time, and you don't see a lot of religion in normal social interactions in my experience.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,879 times
Thanks so much, everyone! Much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas