Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 04:05 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,120,062 times

Advertisements

Here is an article that I had came across that says some Republicans are getting behind Davis: Emporian Jim Lowther among 104 Republicans endorsing Davis for governor - Emporia Gazette: Area News I am not one of them for sure. I always voted straight ticket Democrat until the 2008 election. They can poll all they want but the reality is that the older citizens are the ones that actually vote so............... In Emporia, Hostess is building on and modernizing the facility they have, True Value Hardware is doubling the size of their store, the tech college is adding a building and expanding their welding program, Fanestil is building a new facility, the housing market is doing quite well and that info has just recently materialized so there may be other things in the making or that I just didn't hear about. I think it was last year that Topeka got some new industry after so much loss. I have not approved of all of what Brownback has done and I have been watching and expressing my opinions but all in all, we surely cannot afford a Democratic governor and I stand behind many of the moral policies made by the current state government.

Last edited by AnywhereElse; 07-18-2014 at 05:15 PM.. Reason: changing year to 2008 to when I stopped voting Democratic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 04:50 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newerabuzz View Post
the San Francisco Bay area is booming-- more liberal then you can get.
Do you feel it's wise to use one section of a state to indicate that the state's policies are working hunky dory? The CA unemployment rate is 3% higher than the Bay Area. KS has a statewide unemployment rate only 0.4% higher than the Bay Area. Meanwhile you and cohorts paint KS as being a terribly failed economic experiment....

NY and may other very liberal areas are instituting tax free havens to attract business and industry which is a defacto tax cut for corporations etc. much like KS did.

Shhhhhh don't tell some of our posters or their heads might explode that liberals are also attempting trickle down economics by enticing businesses and thus helping their citizens with jobs.

Cuomo announces first 12 companies for tax-free zones - Newsday

Old 07-18-2014, 06:33 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Here is an article that I had came across that says some Republicans are getting behind Davis: Emporian Jim Lowther among 104 Republicans endorsing Davis for governor - Emporia Gazette: Area News I am not one of them for sure. I always voted straight ticket Democrat until the 2008 election. They can poll all they want but the reality is that the older citizens are the ones that actually vote so............... In Emporia, Hostess is building on and modernizing the facility they have, True Value Hardware is doubling the size of their store, the tech college is adding a building and expanding their welding program, Fanestil is building a new facility, the housing market is doing quite well and that info has just recently materialized so there may be other things in the making or that I just didn't hear about. I think it was last year that Topeka got some new industry after so much loss. I have not approved of all of what Brownback has done and I have been watching and expressing my opinions but all in all, we surely cannot afford a Democratic governor and I stand behind many of the moral policies made by the current state government.
Ya, we will see what happens if BROWNBACK gets voted in again and runs a massive budget deficit which appears quite likely given the trajectory of present tax cuts on those at the highest tax brackets whilst raising them for the lowest tax brackets. The magnitude of the projected deficit will likely hinge on the exact levels of spending. Local examples at the micro level in Emporia make little difference at all in the overall economic performance of the state and the huge out-migration of people out of those counties across the board, regardless of "some" new job growth. The economic engine of Kansas is obviously JOCO, and it will continue to be that way for some time to come. The types of people that the state needs to attract want vibrant cities with lots of amenities, new job growth, diverse types of housing to choose from, etc. and the state does not offer that unless they are seeking a strictly suburban environment (JOCO) or content to work for low wages in a college town.
The key going forward is that the metropolitan areas that have the greatest concentration of human capital and talent will continue to do well and experience job and income growth- regardless of politics. Yes, "some" lower tax states will gain more jobs at the lower end of the spectrum and some manufacturing (southern RTW states), but cities higher up on the food chain with STEM heavy economies will perform very well.

Since I posted the original link from a conservative site, I will now post the liberal link regarding the debate on Brownback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2WooB2RjnQ

Old 07-18-2014, 08:57 PM

50 posts, read 111,849 times
yeah granite, in the next to last sentence of your post you state that STEM heavy economies will perform very well. its funny you should say that because today's wichita eagle had an article about how, per 1000 folks, wichita ranks in the top 4 in every STEM category they measured. do you have an eagle subscription? when is the last time you went to wichita, the economic driver of our(not yours anymore) state?

Old 07-18-2014, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grs1 View Post
yeah granite, in the next to last sentence of your post you state that STEM heavy economies will perform very well. its funny you should say that because today's wichita eagle had an article about how, per 1000 folks, wichita ranks in the top 4 in every STEM category they measured. do you have an eagle subscription? when is the last time you went to wichita, the economic driver of our(not yours anymore) state?
No, not recently. Wichita is at a disadvantage geographically and will not attract many from other areas. Climate and social culture are the other big negatives that are harder to overcome. Overall Wichita economic performance in the past 10-20 years (including any STEM related job growth) has been poor to mediocre overall. Outsiders typically only go to very few areas of the state. JOCO is the main recipient of most of them.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:02 PM

I'm still waiting for Newera to come back and explain how SF is doing awesome despite only a slightly lower rate of unemployment than poor old sinking KS.... lol.

Meanwhile, CA as a whole is still doing crappy.

I'm gonna chalk that post up to "flyover country" arrogance.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:13 PM

4,141 posts, read 3,054,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'm still waiting for Newera to come back and explain how SF is doing awesome despite only a slightly lower rate of unemployment than poor old sinking KS.... lol.

Meanwhile, CA as a whole is still doing crappy.

I'm gonna chalk that post up to "flyover country" arrogance.
Remember the Google bus protests:

Google bus protests - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The root cause is that housing price increases are making SF unaffordable for many of the current residents.

San Fransisco is a typical liberal paradise. If you are a liberal earning $500,000 a year, life is good. If you are a liberal earning $50,000 a year, life is grim. You probably will not find many conservatives earning $50,000 a year in liberal paradises, because the same income goes much further in lower cost, more conservative areas.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Do you feel it's wise to use one section of a state to indicate that the state's policies are working hunky dory? The CA unemployment rate is 3% higher than the Bay Area. KS has a statewide unemployment rate only 0.4% higher than the Bay Area. Meanwhile you and cohorts paint KS as being a terribly failed economic experiment....

NY and may other very liberal areas are instituting tax free havens to attract business and industry which is a defacto tax cut for corporations etc. much like KS did.

Shhhhhh don't tell some of our posters or their heads might explode that liberals are also attempting trickle down economics by enticing businesses and thus helping their citizens with jobs.

Cuomo announces first 12 companies for tax-free zones - Newsday
The Brownback model of trickle down economics was based on a very flawed approach of incorrectly using the Laffer curve model. Brownback slashed taxes at such a rapid rate within a period of about two years that projected revenues will continue to fall far short of future projections- leading to further cuts to funding of schools and other programs, thus furthering the feedback loop. Reductions to taxes for top brackets and eliminating tax on LLCs and other entities will likely just lead to even less revenue stream for the state. Time will tell, but the tide seems to be shifting there. On the job growth front, too little is known to calculate a significant trend since 2010, but most new growth is in the KC metro area with little elsewhere.

100 Kansas GOP endorse Democrat for governor | Wichita Eagle

Old 07-20-2014, 06:10 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
I don't think we've had a really good governor since Bob Dole.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The Brownback model of trickle down economics was based on a very flawed approach of incorrectly using the Laffer curve model. Brownback slashed taxes at such a rapid rate within a period of about two years that projected revenues will continue to fall far short of future projections- leading to further cuts to funding of schools and other programs, thus furthering the feedback loop. Reductions to taxes for top brackets and eliminating tax on LLCs and other entities will likely just lead to even less revenue stream for the state. Time will tell, but the tide seems to be shifting there. On the job growth front, too little is known to calculate a significant trend since 2010, but most new growth is in the KC metro area with little elsewhere.

100 Kansas GOP endorse Democrat for governor | Wichita Eagle
What does any of that have to do with my pointing out that the poster used some really flawed methodology re: CA and that many other "non-red" areas are also playing games with taxation to attract business?

I'm trying to deflate all the "red state vs. blue state" and other political garbage and have an honest discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas