Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 01:49 PM

7 posts, read 8,967 times

Advertisements

I've been going through the forums on here, but I decided to make one for my case since everyone is different. I'm a recent grad, 22, and ready for some new scenery. I'm living in IL right now and I would rather not be here. I love my family, but the state in general gets me down and I've been wanting to get out for a while now. That being said, I'm looking for graduate schools to get my Master's in English so I can teach in the future, but I'm also interested in jobs dealing with publishing or copy editing.

I'm not looking for a big night life or a congested city. I want a place that's clean/safe for the most part (I know the "perfect" city doesn't exist), a decent job market, and a place with good outdoor activities. I'm looking at Kansas because my mom lived there when she was a teenager and loved it and also I don't want to be too terribly far away from the people I care about back home, but I need to get out of IL because I can't see myself being happy here in the long run. I know Kansas sounds a little random, but it's a state that's been lingering on my mind for a while now.

So, I guess I want local opinions and please be brutally honest if this is a dumb idea of mine. Are you happy living in Kansas? Do you think there's a place somewhere in the state that would be a good match for a 22 year-old female just starting out? Obviously, I'll never know for sure until I'm there, but I'd still like some feedback before jumping into a decision.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 02:26 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
Where would you be going to grad school? KU? And living in Lawrence? I think you would love it. It's very clean and very safe.

Jobs in Lawrence might be a different story. You could live in Johnson County and commute to KU in Lawrence or go to KU Edwards Campus in Overland Park, where you should be able to take a lot, if not all, of your grad courses.

Johnson County is very clean, very safe. Again, I think you would love it.

Why not plan a trip out with a friend or your mom visit Lawrence/KU main campus and Overland Park/Edwards Campus?

Old 07-21-2014, 05:42 PM

50 posts, read 111,833 times
you might research emporia state. there are a lot of illinois/chicago people at ku, so obviously its not a dumb idea. socially ku revolves around sports and beer in a big way, which isn't everyones cup of tea.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:31 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,012 times
I'm in agreement, check KU and see if they have the program you are looking for. Lawrence is a great town. Not too big and not small, lots to do here.

I'm moderately happy here, there is no evidence to make me think I would be happier elsewhere, but I've toyed with the idea of moving to the North West. After a few years you may be bored to death here or you may completely love it, or some mix of both. Many people go to KU and never leave. I've been here 27 years, never lived outside Kansas, and I would like to someday, even if its not permanent.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:16 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
What about the state, IL, gets you down? What size city are you used to? That information would be very helpful. I grew in SW MI and have lived and traveled across the US. Tell me what you are trying to leave and what you hoping to find here. When you come to a state of lesser population, you get decent jobs by having grown up in the area and knowing people. You don't want to move anywhere without a job unless you have savings or someone that will support you. We have a lot of college graduates here working retail. Have you considered IN? That state might be a good one to look at.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:41 PM

12,956 posts, read 13,673,944 times
I would guess you would have to get a little further away to notice a real difference. KS, IL, IN, NE, and maybe parts of Iowa seem the same to me. I have heard if you want to teach these states are places where a teaching degree has a little clout. I think it's the Midwestern values kind of thing that schools look for in a teacher. Personally for me there's a one bed room apartment on the central coast with my name on it ....one day.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
What about the state, IL, gets you down? What size city are you used to? That information would be very helpful. I grew in SW MI and have lived and traveled across the US. Tell me what you are trying to leave and what you hoping to find here. When you come to a state of lesser population, you get decent jobs by having grown up in the area and knowing people. You don't want to move anywhere without a job unless you have savings or someone that will support you. We have a lot of college graduates here working retail. Have you considered IN? That state might be a good one to look at.
I've lived in a town with about 900 people my whole life and I'm still here. I'm not against small towns, but I'd like a place where I can find a job while I'm in grad school and I don't want to be in a congested city. Just somewhere in between. I'm trying to find a retail job right now to support this move and afford the grad applications.

I actually live right next to the IN state line so I almost feel like I'm a dual citizen of both states since I go back and forth between the two so often. I don't mind IN, I like the scenery when you get past all the corn fields and into the trees and hills. I know Kansas is flat, but I've seen photos and I can see the beauty of the state.

I think the biggest thing for me is going somewhere new and a little bit different. I'd rather get out of the Midwest altogether, but I still want to be somewhat near friends/family here. Although, I'm also looking at a graduate school in SC because I feel like I belong near the coast. At this point Kansas is just an option in case for money reasons I can only afford to move so far or if I don't get accepted to my first choice.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:57 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie92 View Post
I've been going through the forums on here, but I decided to make one for my case since everyone is different. I'm a recent grad, 22, and ready for some new scenery. I'm living in IL right now and I would rather not be here. I love my family, but the state in general gets me down and I've been wanting to get out for a while now. That being said, I'm looking for graduate schools to get my Master's in English so I can teach in the future, but I'm also interested in jobs dealing with publishing or copy editing.

I'm not looking for a big night life or a congested city. I want a place that's clean/safe for the most part (I know the "perfect" city doesn't exist), a decent job market, and a place with good outdoor activities. I'm looking at Kansas because my mom lived there when she was a teenager and loved it and also I don't want to be too terribly far away from the people I care about back home, but I need to get out of IL because I can't see myself being happy here in the long run. I know Kansas sounds a little random, but it's a state that's been lingering on my mind for a while now.

So, I guess I want local opinions and please be brutally honest if this is a dumb idea of mine. Are you happy living in Kansas? Do you think there's a place somewhere in the state that would be a good match for a 22 year-old female just starting out? Obviously, I'll never know for sure until I'm there, but I'd still like some feedback before jumping into a decision.

Thanks!
You just described Lawrence KS (maybe some others too that I don't know about).

I grew up in NW IL (rural small town) graduated U of IL (champaign) and lived in Chicago and the burbs and love the reduced traffic, lower cost of living and slower pace here. Been here 14 years now.

I do not know about other towns or more rural places.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You just described Lawrence KS (maybe some others too that I don't know about).

I grew up in NW IL (rural small town) graduated U of IL (champaign) and lived in Chicago and the burbs and love the reduced traffic, lower cost of living and slower pace here. Been here 14 years now.

I do not know about other towns or more rural places.
It's so nice to have someone from IL comment on this. My college was in the Chicagoland area and, to be honest, I've never been taken with the city. Most of the people I went to school with want to make a bee line to Chicago, but I'm just not a city girl even though I don't mind taking a day trip to one for the museums and theater. I know I sound like an old lady, but I like the idea of a slower pace and reduced traffic. And I need that lower cost of living because I don't have much money at all right now, but that's alright.

I guess I just want to explore different states even if they aren't all that different from each other. I don't like the idea of growing up and living in one state my entire life and I'd like to move around now when I'm single and have more freedom to do so before I have a family of my own. I'm looking at Kansas state and if I get accepted I might just move down here. If I don't like it then I can always leave after I get my Master's. I appreciate the feedback!

Old 07-23-2014, 05:00 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
Kansas State? I think that might be a good choice for someone looking for small yet there would be a lot of younger people. Manhattan has grown a lot since I was there last. We lived there and in Junction City (my husband born & raised there) for many years in the 80's and 90's but haven't been back since 2004. Manhattan will be more conservative than Lawrence. You'd still just be about an hour from Topeka for a get-a-way. All of the state does not look the same. With Manhattan, you'll be in the Flint Hills, which is my favorite area. We are in Emporia and at the "front porch" of the Flint Hills which is odd because the eastern part of the city looks like the east and when you go a few miles, there you are at the Flint Hills.

If you get a chance along the way, experience the south. We spent 2 years in NC and 2 years in AL and found it "charming" yet being from the north, different in some ways but interesting. Travel will expand your horizons like nothing else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas