Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 01:10 PM

6 posts, read 34,088 times

Advertisements

My husband has been asked to relocate to Kansas, they would like him to be in the Garden City area. We have 2 children, and 2 indoor pets. So I'm researching houses for rent that allow animals & the cost of living out there. What part of town to live in, what schools do you recommend. We live in a small small town in rural Missouri, so I know all about farms, tornadoes, agricultural work, ect. I am also looking for information on the elementary and intermediate schools. I am also looking for any information about the college there that has a program with Hays College for the Elementary Education Degree, I'm currently working on my Associates, so when I finish I will need to attend a school to finish my teaching degree, the college there works with Hays to help you get this degree by offering Virtual College. I know the smell is horrible out there, so I have been told by my husband and his co-workers who have to go to the feed lots/graineries to work on the equiptment. But any information that people can offer for a mom with 2 kids would be great. I would also like to know about churches in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 11:41 AM

27 posts, read 175,344 times
You should try Holcomb, which is 6 miles from Garden City. A quiet town, the schools are great. I lived there for eighteen years. I moved because I was ready for a change. There are some gang problems in Garden City. A VERY diverse town. I don't have any info about the churches.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:11 PM

10,178 posts, read 11,163,499 times
Yes, Garden City is similiar to Dodge City - Try a smaller town.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:27 PM

We can't be too far away from Garden City, his boss actually would like us in Garden City, so can you give any information about Garden City. Where is decent places to rent, that aren't sky high. Any information about which elementary school is better than others?

Old 12-28-2007, 03:29 PM

You wouldn't have any information about rentals in Holcomb? I actually went to the school website yesterday and was checking things out. I also looked at some churches in the Garden City area, and I found one I think the girls would like, similar to theirs now. Any extra information you could provide would be great. We plan on heading out to Kansas in the next few weeks to scope things out. My husband is out there every two weeks, but I want to go look for houses and such on my own.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:15 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sldetty View Post
You should try Holcomb, which is 6 miles from Garden City. A quiet town, the schools are great. I lived there for eighteen years. I moved because I was ready for a change. There are some gang problems in Garden City. A VERY diverse town. I don't have any info about the churches.
Isn't that where that whole family got murdered and they made a movie and a book about it?? That might be a dangerous place!

Old 12-29-2007, 06:08 PM

The Clutter murders happened around 1958. It's really not a bad town, but I was beginning to worry about the Garden City gangs spilling over into Holcomb. The police in Holcomb do a really good job on keeping trouble out. Probably the safest place in Garden is Southwind. Just outside of Garden. Where the country club is. Do not live on the west side of Garden. Bad area. And stay out of the trailer courts. They just found a kid beaten with a bat. Trouble between two rival gangs. Not sure which schools are best.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:16 PM

I think it is Farr Rentals in Holcomb. There are also Apple City apts. Those may be HUD assisted. You might call the city of Holcomb. Or you could even try the Garden City Chamber of Commerce. I've heard the Cornerstone Church is a good church. It just depends what your preference is. As for schools in Garden, probably whatever is in north Garden, but I'm not sure. Like I said before, the Holcomb schools are nice. There is a indoor swimming pool in the elementary school. Learning to swim is part of PE class.

Old 12-30-2007, 02:03 PM

I have looked at the holcomb school website and it does seem pretty nice. The Holcomb town website doesn't have any information on it. We really don't want an apartment, but a house to rent since I have a kitten and a small inside dog. I guess when I think of Kansas I really don't think of gangs. We are about 40 minutes of Kansas City where there are more than 450,000 people there and crime is REALLY bad. To us Garden City is small, but larger than where we live now.

So what I'm gathering from your opinions is live in nothern Garden City or outside of it. My husband has a tech that lives in a historic district in Garden City so he has been giving us some information but not much. My husband has also been talking to some of the guys at that run the feedlots, to get more information. If anyone come across phone numbers of rental places I would be happy to have them emailed to me directly. ccline01@myturbonet.com The online newspaper doesn't have much in in. I did contact a baptist church in the area that looked interesting to us. Thanks for all the help and information. Please keep it coming.

Old 12-30-2007, 03:22 PM

Holcomb ususally doesn't have houses for rent. They do have some barn looking houses. I think that is Farr or Carr Rentals. I'm not sure which one. The historic houses in Garden would be okay. There's not too many of those. I lived in Holcomb and worked in Garden City. I guess being from a small town makes Garden City seem like a high crime area. I would look at the detailed profile online. Look at the crime stastistics. Your husband's coworkers will steer you in the right direction. If you have any more questions, just ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas