Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 09:19 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,353,821 times

Advertisements

Yes, the race has tightened up considerably. Those who were undecided a short time ago are probably waking up, seeing the negative ads and deciding to stick with the devil they know. Uninformed voters who vote against their best interests are more dangerous to this country than terrorism or infections disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 08:11 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Uninformed voters who vote against their best interests are more dangerous to this country than terrorism or infections disease.
This is the problem, blind faith, my granddaddy voted x so I should too . And then the same people ***** and whine when nothing changes, because politicians know the suckers are loyal to them so they have no motivation to change. This goes for both hack parties.

I just hope a few passionate people with relatives that have been screwed over in KS vote with objective thought.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:17 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
I want to stress this is not about more money because throwing money at the problem isn't the answer. What needs to be done is holding those who were told what the job was, accepted the job and are not doing the job but accepting the paycheck. Giving them more money will not improve their performance.

On voting, I would think the rule should be "Look around you. What do think? Pretty good means vote for the incumbent. Not good, vote against the incumbent at the very least."

Unfortunately, too many people don't start to pay attention until it is too late. Seniors on Medicaid will realize too late that those familiar names are no longer working for them now that they are older and in need.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:17 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,156,038 times
Does anyone have a clue if Shriners Hospitals accept Sunflower ins? A few yrs ago they started billing ins. companies. On Friday we took our son to Shriners in St Louis and he only got to see a nurse and a physical therapist I had to demand to speak to the actual doctor and she acted annoyed. I am wondering if it is because they aren't getting paid...? Children's Mercy told us a few years ago they were out of options to help my son who has cerebral palsy and is visually impaired so we had to go to Shriners who had previously been great with him. Now he only gets to go once a year and apparently he doesn't even get to see an actual doctor anymore. I am totally heartbroken and furious.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:21 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times
Thread should be titled 'People With Developmental Disabilities Govern Kansas.'

Old 11-03-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Thread should be titled 'People With Developmental Disabilities Govern Kansas.'
Actually, the governor and his posse are not developmentally disabled, they are selfish, lack compassion, showing ignorance and, we'll see what the current investigation says but it hints at criminals! Some mighty shady things have been happening.

Hopefully in a couple months, we'll be saying the ex-governor Brownback...........

Old 11-04-2014, 12:52 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,156,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Actually, the governor and his posse are not developmentally disabled, they are selfish, lack compassion, showing ignorance and, we'll see what the current investigation says but it hints at criminals! Some mighty shady things have been happening.

Hopefully in a couple months, we'll be saying the ex-governor Brownback...........
We can only hope!!

Old 11-12-2014, 06:54 AM

I wanted to make one last comment on this. They are going to start what they think is a "newer than new" idea here and that is putting adults with developmental disabilities in foster homes and they think they are clever because they are calling them by different names one being "host" homes. They tried to corral my son into one and then they tried to dance around what they were to sell it again, you know "Out of sight, out of mind." so that I would disappear from their radar. Ah, not in this lifetime. The issue to me is that will give unlimited access to the foster family to the people with DD and chances of detecting abuse, neglect and exploitation will drop since at least in other residential settings, there are more people involved that may see something and report it. My son wants to share an apartment with people like himself, "friends" not get a new family. My other concern is that false Christians often take positions in foster care and push their agenda which often includes "discipline" and other unsavory elements in place of understanding the challenges and using positive behavioral support. And, yes, they are not allowed but I can give you a list of things happening that aren't allowed, have been reported and ignored. Very few compliance officers that actually go out into the field and know what is going on and I believe they are so overwhelmed. We need to reduce admin across the board in KS because that is what eating up the funding.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:13 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,353,821 times
Good God, the idea of putting people with developmental disabilities in foster care sounds like a recipe for disaster. Think of all the kids who fall through the cracks in foster care because the social service workers are so over taxed.

This week's news about a $700 million shortfall in the current budget into 2016 looks especially dire for everyone in Kansas -- except all the business owners and wealthy people who benefits from Sam's tax cuts.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:30 PM

Default Something New and Never Good

This will not only effect people with DD but with other Medicaid waivers also and it won't be good since currently, family members/guardians who have someone living in the home can have that person self directing and payment can go to the family member caring for that individual. We were given a choice between residential (costing more) or reimbursement for part-time hours for meeting our son's needs. We were afraid to put him in residential for a list of good reasons. There is also the choice when one self-directs to use outside help but that is not usually practical with people need more care since the hours are very limited and just not worth the commute. Now they are pressing to make family members not eligible to receive payments because the family members would do it without pay if they had to and this is a way to take advantage of the love and compassion that we have for family members. I am sure they will try to keep this move quiet and I came across it by accident so if anyone knows someone that this will apply to, please get the info to them so that they can have input. Many families are dependent on the money that they will take away which will force families to move their ones out of their homes. Keeping people on the Medicaid waiver at home is less expensive and in the case of our son, if he cannot be at home, he would not be able to remain in the community because of the level of his needs. He would die if he goes into care and no one would care and this is something that I have seen happen.

The information is here: Kansas Department for Aging and Disability Services I am waiting for a call back from the Public Media person at KDADS for more explanation, have written both my state and federal congress people
(KDADS claims this comes from the federal govt but doesn't provide backup in writing on that), called the governor's office who just referred me to KDADS (one office I spoke with said "What a coincidence that this didn't come out until after the election.") and I contacted the office for Medicare and Medicaid to clarify also.

Everyone is critical of people on welfare but maybe they just gave up the struggle. We are now doing all that we can do as are many others. How many others are asked to provide care for adult children? I would be considered a "capable" person in the household able to meet the needs of my son and therefore entitled to no reimbursement for care. How many grandparents are paid foster care payments for their grandchildren - would they also not give the care without any subsidies so why give it to them if it is being denied to the parents/guardians/other relatives of people with DD?

They are hot and heavy into the idea of this foster care for people with DD and I know there has to be an angle to it but haven't figured out what it is. I am sure it has to do with "business" pressuring, well, I don't need to spell it out.

Preserving the family? Religious? Kansas? What a joke! KS is about big business and money changing hands spelling out how government will work and nothing more. So few care that it just continues. I cannot believe that Brownback was re-elected. Must be due to people having their heads in the sand and butts in the air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas