Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2014, 08:09 PM

50 posts, read 111,849 times

Advertisements

the no child left behind act was possibly the greatest civil rights victory since the 1960's. under a republican congress and president, federal monies were increased for tutors for lagging students, holding teachers responsible for their performance, and bussing.
president obama, under an executive order, canceled it. under a fig leaf of common core we are now subjected to talk of how a couple of ap teachers in every school can replace a standard for reading and mathmatics competence. where is the equity? how does a couple of ap teachers replace reading at grade level?
why did obama do that? to protect the democratic party and its failures.
brownback and roberts were instrumental in passing no child left behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 07:34 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,352,667 times
NCLB has been a collosal failure. I have never heard anyone on either side of the aisle (except for you) claim it to be a success. It was just one of those initiatives with a warm and fuzzy name. You know, like "Iraqi Freedom" and the "Clear Skies Act", which actually loosened EPA regulations and dirtied our air.

No Child Left Behind: Doomed to Fail? - TIME

Old 10-16-2014, 04:40 AM

23 posts, read 28,828 times
Is it the mistake of children?

Old 10-16-2014, 04:47 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grs1 View Post
the no child left behind act was possibly the greatest civil rights victory since the 1960's. under a republican congress and president, federal monies were increased for tutors for lagging students, holding teachers responsible for their performance, and bussing.
president obama, under an executive order, canceled it. under a fig leaf of common core we are now subjected to talk of how a couple of ap teachers in every school can replace a standard for reading and mathmatics competence. where is the equity? how does a couple of ap teachers replace reading at grade level?
why did obama do that? to protect the democratic party and its failures.
brownback and roberts were instrumental in passing no child left behind.

No child left behind was a disaster in the real world of teaching. It taught children nothing but the fact that they don't even have to know anything but can pass anyway because no one wants them to get their feelings hurt when they are left in 3rd grade for an additional because they still can't read.

That program should have never been started and it put so much more responsibility on teachers instead of parents. It also caused teachers to have so much more work to do that they were not paid for because of all the federal forms they had to fill out and all the testing that was worthless.
Teachers have always been held responsible for their performance it is parents who have rarely been held responsible for their performance as a parent.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:34 PM

csd610, your response basically boils down to, i don't get paid enough to do that much work for those people. what the people of galena?
oh, and paperwork. i don't want to do the paperwork.
there are tons of great people teaching school in kansas. let's keep it that way.

Last edited by grs1; 10-17-2014 at 07:58 PM..

Old 10-17-2014, 08:17 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
csd610, your response basically boils down to, i don't get paid enough to do that much work for those people. what the people of galena?
there are tons of great people teaching school in kansas. let's keep it that way.

What people in Galena?
I am talking about the program in general which is what I thought your original post was about but it is true that Teachers do not get paid all the additional hours that they have to take to do all of the paperwork they have to do for the federal funding.
That is over and above all the time taken out of their actual teaching to do the testing and prepare for the testing.
Then they get to provide pencils, paper, notebooks, stickers, glue, scissors, tape, scholastic books, and all the other additional items that Teachers provide because the school does not have things in their budget and the parents think it is too expensive to have Johnny and Jane fully equipped to do their school work.

You aren't even counting the time it takes to grade papers after school, in the evening or the time taken out of class away from other students because Johnny has decided today is the day he is going to have a screaming tantrum every 10 minutes because his Mommy told him he does not have to listen to the Teacher.

So, explain to me why the Teachers get saddled with all of this outside poo instead of the administrators of the schools.
Explain to me why Parents cannot help get their child ready for all the testing.
Explain to me why Parents cannot provide all that is needed for a classroom.
Explain to me why schools cannot provide all that is needed for a classroom.
Explain to me why every child has to be treated the same when every child is different.
Explain to me why there are standardized tests for every child when some excel in math and others don't.
Explain to me why the Parents aren't sitting their behinds in the school after they get off of work and filling out all those federal forms.
There are some parents who are not even able to fill out a simple school registration form for the own child.
Why is that? It's simple, it is because "they were not left behind" and they still can't read and write.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:59 PM

if you can't teach a child to read at grade level in a school year of 8 hour days. we will fund a tutor for them. if that doesn't work we will replace the teacher or bus them to a productive learning environment. there is no individual who can't be taught to read at grade level in a years time, unless they have developmental disability.
your attempt to blame the parents is being seen through. just look what is going on in los angeles and new york right now.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:32 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,352,667 times
Quote:
And MANY MANY of those great teachers are fed up and hoping to leave Kansas. I have many friends who are either teachers or who work in school admin or for school districts. Every single one detests Brownback and has never liked NCLB.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:03 PM

78,404 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
if you can't teach a child to read at grade level in a school year of 8 hour days. we will fund a tutor for them. if that doesn't work we will replace the teacher or bus them to a productive learning environment. there is no individual who can't be taught to read at grade level in a years time, unless they have developmental disability.
your attempt to blame the parents is being seen through. just look what is going on in los angeles and new york right now.
My aunt (now retired) had kids showing up to kindergarden having never been read a book. No letters, no numbers....nothing.

She worked in a mixed socio-economic area and I know the town she worked in well so it wasn't some armpit either and she was an extremely concientious person and teacher.

The quote that struck me was "I could do a lot for some of those kids if it wasn't for their parents."

They never did homework, and if they got bad grades that threatened their grade advancement then the mom would clean up (drugs, booze etc.) just enough to stumble into school and make a scene.

I know this because one of my other relatives was one of those moms, I'm not looking down naively from an ivory tower.

You are holding the people responsible that have ZERO power over the kid. If the kid and parents don't give a poop, there is nothing the teacher can do to change that. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas