Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 08:44 AM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Hey, AnywhereElse, now that you and I have found a bit of common ground, I just ran across this and thought it might be a little encouraging for you:

KS Sam Brownback (R) Confronted by Unhappy Parents in Southeast Kansas - Linkis.com
And, who would have ever thought we would have "a bit of common ground" although, I think we had more before I discovered SE KS and we were planning to retire to Salina after being in SE KS, stuffing away some money for retirement but.......... There were SO many issues with crime, education, services for people with DD and I learned that no one cared, no one despite the level that I reached.

I am familiar with the educational system as well. Really, I looked at the school report for our city and I wouldn't move here with school age children. I have no idea what the problem is but the ratings indicate it is serious and special education is so far behind the times...

I came across another article this morning by KU surveying how KanCare is working: https://news.ku.edu/survey-switching...-services-many

I could never feel good about paying less taxes if it made the difference between life and death for anyone despite their assigned value by a for-profit endeavor.

So, we have started with the poor (many working), the elderly (many giving their best years to KS), people with DD and the for-profits are still not making a profit so what bone will Brownback throw them next?

Thanks for the link, I'm passing on all links to other sources.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:54 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,987,639 times
Quote:
Wait. It gets worse. I just saw an ad for Pat Roberts that shows an elderly woman talking about how Obama cut $700M from HER MEDICARE and Greg Orman would just support the Obama agenda.

GIVE ME A BREAK. When are the Republicans going to stop touting that completely discredited claim??? The cuts were waste from Medicare Advantage companies overcharging patients.

Roberts is toast. He's done. He is reduced to being a robot who repeats Republican talking points over and over and over until even I feel embarrassed for him. He's done nothing for Kansas in years, and he now has Pat Boone doing robocalls for him. Yes, THAT Pat Boone.

Can we please live in the 21st century here???
There was once a time when we liked Ike as our President and didn't even know what Medicare and Medicaid were and didn't have to worry about a long and fulfilling lives as a person who was disabled or had a disease like cancer. Somehow people got by even in Kansas or Missouri. I was born in Rolla MO in 1954 and I survived.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
There was once a time when we liked Ike as our President and didn't even know what Medicare and Medicaid were and didn't have to worry about a long and fulfilling lives as a person who was disabled or had a disease like cancer. Somehow people got by even in Kansas or Missouri. I was born in Rolla MO in 1954 and I survived.
I am not sure what you are saying. I was born in 1954 also and don't remember Ike. And, yes, people who were disabled or had cancer used to die and not have to worry about a long and fulfilling life but, gee, is that what you would like to see again? Just let people die. Keep in mind that this encompasses senior citizens also and their "value" will be assessed before treatment and let's face it, they(we) probably won't fare well in the evaluation. Our doctor will not be deciding. It will be decided by people who just see as as "disabled", too ill to bother with or an old bag of bones!

Old 11-02-2014, 09:02 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times
Quote:

Oh dear GOD, are you serious?????

Listen buddy, I know all too well what life was like before Medicare. It was awful for my family. It was awful for MANY families.

In the early 60s, my grandmother had to come and live with us in our very small house. She was frail and becoming crippled. My parents paid her health insurance, and the costs for her care set back our family finances so badly that we didn't have a Christmas or Easter for two years. We nearly lost the house. My parents fought about money constantly. My grandmother had to share a room with me, and it was extremely difficult. I was 10 years old, a very impressionable time. My grandmother was in pain and she became cranky and demanding because of her illness. My room smelled of sickness, and I could never have friends over to play. Selfish? You may think so, but kids deserve their childhoods.

Then Grandma broke her hip and was hospitalized. Blue Cross only paid enough for us to afford the not-very-nice hospital on Chicago's south side: Cook County Hospital. My grandmother complained about that hospital every day when my mom made the long, hot and difficult train trip down to see her. Mom came home depressed, crying, worn out and emotional exhausted every day that entire summer. No kid wants to see her mom like that. Nothing I tried to do to cheer her up did much good.

Then we had to put Grandma into a nursing home, and my parents completely cleaned out their bank account to have her in a nice place. But still she complained all the time. I grew to resenr her for the way she treated my parents. To be honest, I was relieved when she died. It put an end to a financially and emotionally gutting two years. I had my parents back, but they were never the same. None of us was.

Medicare was put into law two years after my grandmother died. I do not EVER want another child to endure the hardships we did before the days of Medicare. Those two years have affected me every single day of my life.

So just stop romanticizing about how things used to be and how we got by. Things are infinitely better for the elderly since Medicare.Things are better for their adult children and their grandchildren too.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:01 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,987,639 times
Quote:
Oh dear GOD, are you serious?????

Listen buddy, I know all too well what life was like before Medicare. It was awful for my family. It was awful for MANY families.

In the early 60s, my grandmother had to come and live with us in our very small house. She was frail and becoming crippled. My parents paid her health insurance, and the costs for her care set back our family finances so badly that we didn't have a Christmas or Easter for two years. We nearly lost the house. My parents fought about money constantly. My grandmother had to share a room with me, and it was extremely difficult. I was 10 years old, a very impressionable time. My grandmother was in pain and she became cranky and demanding because of her illness. My room smelled of sickness, and I could never have friends over to play. Selfish? You may think so, but kids deserve their childhoods.

Then Grandma broke her hip and was hospitalized. Blue Cross only paid enough for us to afford the not-very-nice hospital on Chicago's south side: Cook County Hospital. My grandmother complained about that hospital every day when my mom made the long, hot and difficult train trip down to see her. Mom came home depressed, crying, worn out and emotional exhausted every day that entire summer. No kid wants to see her mom like that. Nothing I tried to do to cheer her up did much good.

Then we had to put Grandma into a nursing home, and my parents completely cleaned out their bank account to have her in a nice place. But still she complained all the time. I grew to resenr her for the way she treated my parents. To be honest, I was relieved when she died. It put an end to a financially and emotionally gutting two years. I had my parents back, but they were never the same. None of us was.

Medicare was put into law two years after my grandmother died. I do not EVER want another child to endure the hardships we did before the days of Medicare. Those two years have affected me every single day of my life.

So just stop romanticizing about how things used to be and how we got by. Things are infinitely better for the elderly since Medicare.Things are better for their adult children and their grandchildren too.
I don't romanticize the 1950's and I can match your sad tale with that of my father's Uncle Frank who suffered a massive stroke in about the same time frame as your experiences with your Granny and was reduced to having to be hoisted in a sling out of his bed or wheel chair for he never walked, had trouble even sitting up and lost the power of speech. He was reduced to an 80 year old baby who soiled his diapers, cried and couldn't even eat solid food. He was like this until his death in 1967. The family couldn't afford nursing care or a nursing home so the burden fell on his loving wife Abby (who was no spring chicken) . I don't want to end up like this.

I also have my Uncle Gene , a carpenter and roofer who fell off a roof in 1966 and ended up paralyzed from his neck down. Fortunately for Gene and his family he lived in California and the client had to have liability insurance to cover such accidents. Plus California had some of the best disabled workers benefits in the nation. I shudder to think if this accident had happened in Arkansas where part of my family lives.

What pains me is millions of our fellow citizens are going to polls to punish the representatives of the Party that fought the good fight to get us the inadequate public medical assistance we have today. They will joyfully elect the current incarnations of Barry Goldwater or Joe McCarthy who wouldn't even give us this much. I fully expect that when the smoke clears the people of Kansas will re-elect Sam Brownback and Pat Roberts to yet another term and back GOP one party rule in the state . We will scratch our heads and wonder out loud what's the matter with Kansas.

Last edited by mwruckman; 11-02-2014 at 11:10 PM..

Old 11-03-2014, 06:46 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times
Quote:
What pains me is millions of our fellow citizens are going to polls to punish the representatives of the Party that fought the good fight to get us the inadequate public medical assistance we have today. They will joyfully elect the current incarnations of Barry Goldwater or Joe McCarthy who wouldn't even give us this much. I fully expect that when the smoke clears the people of Kansas will re-elect Sam Brownback and Pat Roberts to yet another term and back GOP one party rule in the state . We will scratch our heads and wonder out loud what's the matter with Kansas.
Well, I do agree with your sentiment there, but I'm not so sure you've accurately predicted the outcome of tomorrow's election. We will see. Brownback is being tagged as a loser by just about everyone, and after the Roberts/Snyder/K-State flap this past weekend, Pat has mud all over his face.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:59 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,154,337 times
Quote:
I don't romanticize the 1950's and I can match your sad tale with that of my father's Uncle Frank who suffered a massive stroke in about the same time frame as your experiences with your Granny and was reduced to having to be hoisted in a sling out of his bed or wheel chair for he never walked, had trouble even sitting up and lost the power of speech. He was reduced to an 80 year old baby who soiled his diapers, cried and couldn't even eat solid food. He was like this until his death in 1967. The family couldn't afford nursing care or a nursing home so the burden fell on his loving wife Abby (who was no spring chicken) . I don't want to end up like this.

I also have my Uncle Gene , a carpenter and roofer who fell off a roof in 1966 and ended up paralyzed from his neck down. Fortunately for Gene and his family he lived in California and the client had to have liability insurance to cover such accidents. Plus California had some of the best disabled workers benefits in the nation. I shudder to think if this accident had happened in Arkansas where part of my family lives.

I hope & pray you are wrong!!

Old 11-04-2014, 09:55 PM

Sadly, I have been watching the results come in. I cannot believe how few people vote first of all. And, second, I have lived in or been in many of the counties that are working to re-elect Butthead Brownback and I cannot believe with the poverty that they endure, the rundown properties, crime, etc. that they cannot want change. Maybe they feel so hopeless that they have just given up? The loss of Amazon next year will take a heavy toll on our economy in the state. Maybe we can put up another fast food joint that takes the VISION card........

Hopefully, our son will continue to have good health until we can get out of KS. I am so happy that when the house sells, we will have that option since so many people are just trapped here.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:08 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Sadly, I have been watching the results come in. I cannot believe how few people vote first of all. And, second, I have lived in or been in many of the counties that are working to re-elect Butthead Brownback and I cannot believe with the poverty that they endure, the rundown properties, crime, etc. that they cannot want change. Maybe they feel so hopeless that they have just given up? The loss of Amazon next year will take a heavy toll on our economy in the state. Maybe we can put up another fast food joint that takes the VISION card........

Hopefully, our son will continue to have good health until we can get out of KS. I am so happy that when the house sells, we will have that option since so many people are just trapped here.
The results do not surprise me much at all. One of the big reasons that Kansas remains so Republican in its voting patterns is that it loses so many career oriented people (outside of a very few select counties), single people, and families. This creates the bizarre population age demographic breakdown that is not typical of many states and also reinforces conservative voting patterns. Kansas will certainly be taking part in the great Brownback experiment and I'm sure we will here plenty of evidence next year of all its negative ramifications.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:30 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Seems to me like today's elections nationwide, not just Kansas, were a rejection of the liberal agenda. Just because people don't believe the same thing you do doesn't make them wrong. They just see things differently. Maybe they know something you don't.

Kansas' unemployment rate is way below the national average. I don't think things are as bad in Kansas as some with an agenda would have you believe.

Unemployment Rates for States
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas