Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 09:02 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,845,405 times

Advertisements

What's your favorite and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 10:01 AM

26,372 posts, read 46,199,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
What's your favorite and why?
Lawrence and Manhattan are both good University towns.
Lawrence is home to KU
Manhattan is home to K State

Lawrence is more liberal and attracts many people from larger urban areas around the US as well as the KC metro area.
Manhattan is more conservative and attracts a large amount of students from rural areas of Kansas. This is related to the strong ag program there I am sure.
Both cities are growing in population compared with most of the rural areas which are rapidly losing population.

Both towns are great, have many activities going on, and have affordable housing.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:54 AM

413 posts, read 906,491 times
I prefer Lawrence, particularly the area around the college and Massachussetts Ave., but Aggieville in Manhattan is pretty neat as well. Even when I was a dyed-in-the-wool, home-grown conservative, I still preferred "Liberal Lawrence" to Manhattan, though. It's a little less folksy and a little edgier. In my experience, the night life and cultural scene in Lawrence are like microcosms of those found in Boston, Austin, or San Francisco. Manhattan's a little more of a blue jeans and polos with country music, while Lawrence seems to a little dressier and set to indie rock.

The music scene is far, far better in Lawrence, by the way. Decent bands stop there all the time. The biggest downside is that there are lots of snootier types there as well.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:23 PM

15 posts, read 95,316 times
Manhattan Kansas has grown by leaps and bounds in the past 15 years. It is true that Lawrence is probably more "cultured" (K-State is the Ag-school after all), but Lawrence is very close to Kansas City, and it is more expensive to live there.

I'm a tried and true Manhattanite!

Old 01-16-2008, 05:46 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,653,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
Lawrence and Manhattan are both good University towns.
Lawrence is home to KU
Manhattan is home to K State

Lawrence is more liberal and attracts many people from larger urban areas around the US as well as the KC metro area.
Manhattan is more conservative and attracts a large amount of students from rural areas of Kansas. This is related to the strong ag program there I am sure.
Both cities are growing in population compared with most of the rural areas which are rapidly losing population.

Both towns are great, have many activities going on, and have affordable housing.
KSU is most well known for its School of Vetinary Medicine which is one of the best in the country.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:11 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,449,216 times
I have lived in both. We called KU snob hill and they called us Silo Tech.

I liked Manhattan because it was so small town. But I went to the Little Apple two years ago to visit and that town is splitting at its seams. Tremendous growth going on there.

Lawrence would be the coolest town to live in, if that is what you crave, but its just a little too crowded now. I also liked Lawrence because I went to Haskell Indian Nations University which just adds to the diversity of Lawrence.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:50 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,961,606 times
I've lived in both, and I vote for Lawrence! The cultural opportunities are unbelievable. Manhattan is nice enough, but it just seemed more bland to me. Plus the housing seemed too expensive for what Manhattan has to offer when I was there 5 years ago and I've heard it's even worse now. I do miss the Konza Prairie though.

Old 02-14-2020, 10:35 PM

90 posts, read 112,274 times
Super old forum but I am going to chime in.

Going into Manhattan I was expecting Lawrence to be much better.. but somehow Manhattan blew my expectations out of the water (I went during a Football weekend so that probably has to do with it). Aggieville was really quite neat and vibrant. The downtown was no Mass St but it was unique and cute. Usually, I am not a fan of spread out cities but I actually enjoyed Manhattan. The difference between the University Area and the Downtown area I thought was really cool. The tailgates were damn near Chiefs level. I could go on about how this city surprised me. It has it's issues but give it a chance and I think you can be impressed.

Old 02-15-2020, 10:15 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,117,142 times
I think if you visit both, you'll know where you belong. From the second I set foot in Lawrence, I knew it was my place. Completely different vibe in Manhattan. It just seemed so foreign and not me.

Old 02-15-2020, 09:29 PM

17,606 posts, read 13,425,275 times
Both lovely towns. As people have mentioned they are different because one is your typical "flagship" school and the other is your typical "land grant" school. But both are nice, clean, scenic towns with beautiful campuses, nice down towns and nice housing areas.

One thing that is notable is that there aren't any real run down "student ghettos" around the universities like there are in so many college towns. And there hasn't been too much of knocking down neighborhoods for more high density student housing like what has happened to west campus in Austin for instance.

One thing different is that in Lawrence the down town functions as both the down town and the student entertainment district with a few bars and restaurants strung up the hill to campus.

Manhattan the student entertainment area is several blocks away from the downtown area with a beautiful little park and a nice neighborhood between them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas