Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2020, 01:53 PM

374 posts, read 563,776 times

Advertisements

A little Bender background: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Benders

A piece of land where Kansas’ first known serial killers murdered at least 11 people in the 1870s is up for auction.

The 162-acre tract of cropland known as the “Bender Farm” will be sold off to the highest bidder by an Indiana-based auction company next month in Parsons.

It’s the same parcel where the Bender family — John Sr., his wife and their adult children, John Jr. and Kate — carried out a series of gruesome slayings between 1871 and 1873. Accounts say they lured road-weary travelers into their small, two-room cabin with the promise of a hot meal and rest.

Read more here: https://www.kansas.com/news/local/cr...#storylink=cpy

Zerf's Six String Justice features Beautiful Katie, a tune he was working on when he came to my house to interview my father, who had a Bender tale or 2 of his own.

My grandfather was clerk of the District Court in Montgomery Co., KS, elected in 1919, he served 12 terms. Dad had a lot of crime stories . . . this one is undated: the Montgomery Co. Sheriff was in Tulsa, & walked by a used furniture store. An attractive woman inside caught his attention, he kept thinking he'd seen her before. It came to him that it was Kate Bender. He returned to the store, only to find it abandoned, the woman gone . . .

My grandmother's ancestors included a Johnson, who was on the posse which set out to trail the Benders. The posse returned without the Benders. Rumor had it they caught up with them & gave them frontier justice. Johnson would never speak about the posse, & took his story to the grave.

Myself, I make it a point to never accept a meal @ a table where my skull is up against a blanket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kohl...c&index=9&t=0s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
View detailed profiles of: