Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 08:25 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,199,216 times

Advertisements

I think I say it both ways. If I am going to wash my car, I say, "I'm going to go warsh my car." If I am doing laundry, I'll say, "I'll put the woish in."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 12:40 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,164,553 times
Pronouncing wash as "warsh" or "woosh" is not a marker of a southern accent.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:28 AM

10,178 posts, read 11,163,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
My grandma definitely says it like "warsh", and so do others I know. My grandma is from NE Oklahoma and the other person that immediately comes to mind is from south of Warsaw, MO.
My Husband - born, raised in SW KS, has never said Warsh - I do, though and I'm Originally from NY... strange how some say a word the same - being far from another - different regions of the country.

My husband also has a twangy, southern type of accent...

I've been all around KS - Missouri and I don't notice accents in a lot of the towns, areas, described...

Old 03-14-2015, 08:55 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
Kansas is not southern in any way, Kansas is really politically conservative and religious and elements of that are big in the South but thats does not mean its Southern in any way, Kansas is very Midwestern in every way.

Old 03-14-2015, 04:35 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,977,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
My Husband - born, raised in SW KS, has never said Warsh - I do, though and I'm Originally from NY....
Interesting. If it's not a Southern thing, I wonder what it is. Maybe an Appalachian thing that transcends North and South?

Old 03-19-2015, 12:43 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Lots of random samples of native speakers in Cherokee County, KS. None of them sound like the woman in the clip above. Again, she may be a native Kansan, though her accent would suggest she is not, but if she is, she is an outlier. Her speech is not "normal" SE Kansas accented speech.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9b7XNxbVqo

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zTicouwJoME

Twister Struck Baxter Springs Moments After Warning
Actually, I heard some Southern infuence in the first speaker in the first video. She said "needs done". Skipping the verb "to be" is a Southern thing.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:37 AM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
I was wondering if any parts of Kansas have any southern feeling to them, or is it solidly Midwestern? It extends almost as far south as southern Missouri, which is pretty southern, so that's what made me wonder, plus, I have never been to Kansas.
You want southern, go to SE KS since it has transplants from MO, OK and AR that came into KS. I do not recommend the area as it is probably the worst part of the state with lots of welfare, illegal drugs and petty crime.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:40 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times
Wondering why any part of Kansas would feel southern? Surely no one thinks it's in the south.
I once lived in Wichita and knew I was nowhere near the south, although I didn't think of it one way or another.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:46 AM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Wondering why any part of Kansas would feel southern? Surely no one thinks it's in the south.
I once lived in Wichita and knew I was nowhere near the south, although I didn't think of it one way or another.
I sort of see it as a "Ozark" southern and definitely not deep south. We lived in NC, AL and MS and that entirely different and add to that, being in the military so I get my opinions from having met a lot of people. There is also the music choices which can be very unique to an area.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:34 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
My Husband - born, raised in SW KS, has never said Warsh - I do, though and I'm Originally from NY... strange how some say a word the same - being far from another - different regions of the country.

My husband also has a twangy, southern type of accent...

I've been all around KS - Missouri and I don't notice accents in a lot of the towns, areas, described...
Warshing clothes after you went to your garden and picked a Squarsh is common talk where Southern and Midwestern accents intersect in border regions. You hear that alot in Southern Indiana and Northern Kentucky. I never heard that in Southern KY and people from the Upper Midwest also find it odd. My father in law (S Indiana native) also uses a Wheerlbarrah to haul his Squarsh to the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas