Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 07:02 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,164,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Interesting. I thought that sort of pronunciation was unique to the way Missouri is sometimes pronounced.
Nope. It's a very old dialect feature of the English language which changes the final unnaccented syllable in words ending in vowels to a schwa sound. It is likely (though not proven) to have originated in Scots and Irish speech patterns in western New England and the mid-Atlantic Colonies.

Though now disappearing, it was a common dialect variation in many words, like Cincinnati, Miami, Naomi, Hawai'i, Ypsilanti, Okoboji, Mississippi, spaghetti, ravioli, macaroni, and prairie.

Surprisingly to many, it is a feature more common in northern dialects than southern ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 10:22 AM

12,956 posts, read 13,671,429 times
Quite a bit of Kansas was settled by southerners. Southeast Kansas in particular had people from the upper south settle into Cherokee county,the Katy railroad brought in Texas and Oklahoma people to Labette county to build the railroad, and notwithstanding the fact that the push to settle Kansas was part of an effor to tip the balance into making sure it would be come a slave state.

I think a lot of southern culture was held in check by the towns in Southeast Kansas that were settled by New Yorkers. The Towns of; Erie, Fredonia, Buffalo, Dunkirk and Oswego are some known settlements named after cities in the Northeast. IMO Its not so much the accents in that area that make you think its southern, but its the number of colloquialisms that are southern, yet spoken with just a hint of the drawl of a true southerner.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 01-31-2015 at 11:10 AM..

Old 02-02-2015, 09:27 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
That's what I thought was the case with my mom pronouncing Miamuh Oklahoma that way. She had such a weird way of saying things/accent/dialect or whatever, that I just thought that was another thing she was mispronouncing. It never occurred to me that she was pronouncing it correctly!
The people I'm talking about in Florida are old, and black. I don't think it's really a "thing" in Miami, FL to pronounce it that way. They may have more of a southern accent, hence the odd pronunciation.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:29 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Nope. It's a very old dialect feature of the English language which changes the final unnaccented syllable in words ending in vowels to a schwa sound. It is likely (though not proven) to have originated in Scots and Irish speech patterns in western New England and the mid-Atlantic Colonies.

Though now disappearing, it was a common dialect variation in many words, like Cincinnati, Miami, Naomi, Hawai'i, Ypsilanti, Okoboji, Mississippi, spaghetti, ravioli, macaroni, and prairie.

Surprisingly to many, it is a feature more common in northern dialects than southern ones.
My grandparents called Hawaii "Huh-wah-yuh", and their roots were in rural Missouri.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:28 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,545,011 times
In my opinion, what makes Kansas feel "different" than Missouri and Oklahoma is the religious aspects of it.

Kansas has a lot more Roman Catholics per capita than most southern states, save for Louisiana and southern Texas. Wichita has a pretty large and historic white Catholic population. I'm guessing that this has to do with the high number of German, Italian and Irish Catholics who settled there. Wichita, culturally, is closer to Columbus, Des Moines and Omaha than it is to Dallas/FW, Oklahoma City or Amarillo even.

You don't see the Catholic influence so much in Oklahoma or western Missouri. There, it's more Baptist and evangelical Protestant. The evangelical influences in Oklahoma and western Missouri make those places feel more "southern".

Old 03-07-2015, 09:57 AM

152 posts, read 208,833 times
No, KS countryside I just think it is staunchly, unapologeticly, very defensively agricultural...Green views live in the city and get to enjoy natural spaces at the state lakes or their own private country lands.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:47 PM

31 posts, read 109,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Yep. You know you're in the Lower Midwest when folks say things like "warsh". Not truly Southern, but definitely not Upper Midwestern.
It's not "warsh" as people often characterize the pronunciation, it's more like "woish" ... there's no "r" sound. At least in rural Kansas around Kingman and Pretty Prairie near Hutchinson, where my folks grew up. That's how they say it, and how I used to say it and still do when it slips out that way!

Old 03-10-2015, 07:32 AM

396 posts, read 998,752 times
Woish is how my grandpa cays it. He grew up near OK/KS line in the Gyp Hills ranch land.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:17 AM

620 posts, read 1,232,757 times
In southern Missouri some people do say warsh, and there is a hard r in it for sure.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:08 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,977,924 times
My grandma definitely says it like "warsh", and so do others I know. My grandma is from NE Oklahoma and the other person that immediately comes to mind is from south of Warsaw, MO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas