Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 11:21 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
That is not indoctrination. imo. They do need to learn what to do when at the neighbor kids house and he starts playing with a gun.
Not if their parents understand the responsibilities of being a parent and take those responsibilities seriously. For if they do, the closest those kids will ever get to a gun is watching Chicago PD on TV.

As to what to do in the unlikely event of a surprise? It doesn't take gun training for them to know to leave that home immediately, come home and inform their parents, and never return to that neighbor kid's house again.

Gun people talk of this scenario as though it is a common experience. It's not. Though I'll qualify that by admitting I've never lived in the deep South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 12:07 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I posted a reply to your comment earlier but it got lost in the shuffle so I may be repeating it but here goes.
"The idea that the 2nd Amendment is the right that secures all the others is dogma that I've heard dutifully repeated 10,000 times by gun proponents who, for that moment, have transported themselves a couple of centuries back in time."

Just how can "We The People" defend ourselves against a tyrannical government WITHOUT firearms? The ballot box? Our press? Or do we just submit to slavery and oppression?

I have a copy of a book by John Ross titled UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES. It is written as fiction but it is full of facts. If you really want to understand the thinking of many of us in the "gun culture" read this book. It has been out of print for a few years but your local library may have a copy or sometimes it comes up for sale on E-Bay. It also lays out a strategy for taking back the country from a tyrannical government. Even if you aren't a GUN NUT it is an interesting story and you MIGHT enjoy reading it. Let me know if you can't find a copy and I can lend you mine for a week or two. You will be third on my waiting list if you want to read it.
The term "tyrannical government" can mean a lot of things, as tyranny takes many forms and degrees of control along a sliding scale.

Today, at least to a degree along that sliding scale, we already have a tyrannical government in place. For we no longer have even the freedom to decide for ourselves whether to prop up and help enrich the most corrupt, most powerful, and most dishonest industry in the history of man....the American "health care" industry.

Does that bother you like it bothers me and many others? Where was the role for guns in our loss of that battle? Or in the many battles fought in recent years over "carbon taxes" and the host of restraints on our freedom imposed on us by "climate change" eco-fanaticism?

Those are just two examples. And they are how we are being conquered today - from within. By the power of wealth and by the political power wielded over a young population programmed to thirst for conformity of opinion and peer approval more than anything else in life.

Guns have no role in the battle ahead of us today because we have no new world to sail to, settle, carve to our liking, and defend. Here, we are dealing with a population in overwhelming numbers that we have truly "lost" and who have never understood freedom in the sense that we learned growing up with and in the sense that our founders intended.

Our sole avenue toward fixing this mess is to win the hearts and minds of those lost souls in the political arena. And those lost souls, frankly, outnumber us - badly. So I'm not optimistic about making much progress anytime soon.

Believe me, if we had a new world before us to win and we could maintain that world to our liking by keeping corrupting forces out at the point of a gun, I'd be right with you. But those days have been gone for a long time and thinking they'll ever return is a pipe-dream.

Today, in our real world, all guns do is make us wonder if we'll get out of school or the movie theater alive.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:00 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,073,436 times
Quote:
I agree. Felons should NEVER be allowed to own a gun and there are laws on the books already stating this.
Except when buying at Gun Shows. Gun shows (where 40% of all guns are bought) have NO background check requirement. That would be the same as if 40% of all airline passengers were exempted from screening. An enormous and deadly loop hole.

Old 03-07-2015, 02:06 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,865,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Except when buying at Gun Shows. Gun shows (where 40% of all guns are bought) have NO background check requirement. That would be the same as if 40% of all airline passengers were exempted from screening. An enormous and deadly loop hole.
Where are you getting this 40% BS?
FFL dealers are still required to do an instant background check even at gun shows. Private treaty sellers are not required to do so. I would bet your 40% figure is off by about 35%.

Old 04-29-2015, 05:14 PM

675 posts, read 723,576 times
If you live in a city like Baltimore you would understand why.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:01 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,012 times
Quote:
FFL dealers are still required to do an instant background check even at gun shows. Private treaty sellers are not required to do so. I would bet your 40% figure is off by about 35%.
You think 75% of guns are purchased at gun shows?! Sorry, just trying to add some humor!

Old 04-30-2015, 05:04 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Quote:
I thought KS did not do background checks when purchasing at gun shows through private individuals. Gun Show Background Checks State Laws Although I see that some whatever that run the gun shows may require people selling to do checks.

This is kind of interesting: http://www.cato.org/publications/com...bout-gun-shows

I'm guessing the illegals coming in probably bring guns or are able to get them some way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
View detailed profiles of: