U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 08:00 AM

16 posts, read 17,150 times

Advertisements

Lawrence is NOT western Kansas, not even close. OP needs to give more direction.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 08:36 PM

396 posts, read 893,990 times
They said, West of Kansas City, not western Kansas. Just for clarification.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:06 AM

4,675 posts, read 3,082,497 times
What the OP is wanting is a hobby farm. The entire flint hills region would be great. So from Salina east to KC and south to Emporia. Land is fertile, jobs will be available, more moderate politically then western Kansas, not nearly as dry as western Kansas, which is good if you want to grow things, but not terribly humid.l either. Great communities to be a part of. Many great small towns.

A decent home with 10 acres is entirely possibly for under $400,000. I'm actually looking at buying a 3 bedroom home with 12 acres, 3 acre pond, and 1 bedroom rental home for slightly less then that.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:33 PM

2,339 posts, read 3,360,741 times
We bought in 2011 probably what the OP is looking for. Farmhouse, old silo, outbuildings, pond, fruit trees on 8 acres for under 300K just outside of Lawrence. Granted the house needed work and the property was pretty overgrown.

If you are very liberal you will be happiest east of Topeka. Either Lawrence or Johnson County. We consider ourselves moderate but our AK moderate is pretty much liberal here.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:43 PM

187 posts, read 169,068 times
My aunt and uncle lived in Hays up until their deaths in 2006 and 2011.
During most of their time in Hays I lived in the Denver area.

Since the OP's second post mentioned that she is bothered by humidity she will feel the humidity as far west as Wakeeney.
While living in the Denver area I would simply drive east on I-70 to their home in Hays. Most times I would visit in the latter part of May and sometimes July.
I would begin to feel a higher humidity level beginning around Oakley with a jump around Wakeeney.

Combine this area with the indigenous far right political climate and everything West of Salina would be a huge No No for them.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:47 PM

226 posts, read 226,029 times
CULTURE SHOCK - MAJOR - DEAD AHEAD good luck moving from San Diego to Kansas. Be sure to bring a plentiful supply of antidepressants.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:50 PM

226 posts, read 226,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
What the OP is wanting is a hobby farm. The entire flint hills region would be great. So from Salina east to KC and south to Emporia. Land is fertile, jobs will be available, more moderate politically then western Kansas, not nearly as dry as western Kansas, which is good if you want to grow things, but not terribly humid.l either. Great communities to be a part of. Many great small towns.

A decent home with 10 acres is entirely possibly for under $400,000. I'm actually looking at buying a 3 bedroom home with 12 acres, 3 acre pond, and 1 bedroom rental home for slightly less then that.
COTTONWOOD FALLS comes to mind, it strikes me (though I admit I only drive thru going farther west) as a peaceful sleepy little berg. I just don't think there's too much available housing-wise.

I think the farther west you go toward Wichita, it is not as humid as where I grew up in Leavenworth County. FLATTER TOO, I like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas