Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 11:54 AM

86 posts, read 167,188 times

Advertisements

Torn

Where are the better priced rentals? I am not against paying a little more, depending on what a "little more" is. I can not take the time to go to Dodge before having to decide on this job. If I can learn about good rentals it would help.

elkotronics let me know what you learn.

Thanks
Saxon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 10:22 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
Saxon - I'll look around as much as I can and notate what is available and the cost. A printout from a realtor would be nice. I'll let you know as soon as I find out on here.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:45 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Gives you an idea of the topography a bit ahead of your visit.
If it's topography you're interested in, don't bother with Google maps. i can tell you in one word: flat.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:31 PM

Indeed, Okey Dokie, flat it is. saxon75 - I'm in Dodge City as I type this, the buzzbomb propeller-plane is out of service and being worked on that flies in and out of Dodge City's airport, so our flight out at 3:30PM was cancelled. We are told the plane will be fixed and we'll be taking our 1:30PM flight to Denver, CO, tomorrow (Saturday).

There is housing here for rent, Google Coldwell Banker's Brian Delzeit and he can help you. They're 2-3-4 bedroom rentals, some duplexes, some townhouses, etc. Just call him and ask him. I'd type out his number on here but I left his business card in my hotel room. They are around $900 to $1,200 a month. Not so bad but too much for my wife and I.

My interview went quite well and I'm contemplating what I might say to their offer. HR Director said I will be made an offer and it might be ready Monday. Cool! I met with my Supervisor and Director and interviewed for about 3 hours today (Friday). It felt successful at the time and sure enough, I met with the HR Director back at the hospital because my flight out Friday afternoon was canceled, and she told me that an offer for the job will be made. Yes!

Licensing for the State of Kansas must be done, finding a rental must be accomplished, convincing my wife she'll love...ahh-humm...well, at least like Dodge City, KS...that must be accomplished, too.

I have another offer coming in from upstate New York (brrrr!!!!!!!!) and possibly out of my home state, Washington, from a coastal town there...wow. And there's Kalispell, MT, possibly, Denver, CO, and Jefferson City, MO, that may be calling and offering a job my way. The only one for sure, other than Dodge City, KS, is the one from upstate New York (brrrrr....cold!!!!). Don't know about that one. Anyhoo....unemployment should be coming to a slow halt fairly soon, and state licensing efforts and househunting can begin in earnest. I don't like ta plop state licensing monies down until a job is on the line and in my boat ready to be de-hooked and sliced for cleaning, don'tcha know.

saxon75- another tip from a rental agency there (this one has no houses available, just apartments and duplexes) is to call them weekly at 620-225-3933. They update their list weekly. You might give this number a call immediately. Believe they're closed Sat. & Sun., though.

A last tip is this one: check on Facebook under Dodge City/Ford County-Home rental/sales. And Google Dodge City housing.com. Good fortune to you...I must convince the better half she must accompany me there to Dodge City, KS. I spent some time touring downtown and it's absolutely charming Old West shoot 'em up style...you'll like it if you end up coming here. I've got other fish frying but the opportunity here affords me the ability to work alone in my chosen profession. Alone while doing the studies but amongst an entire community of other healthcare workers in the stream of things, of course.

Wanted ta catch ya up if you're still in the race, partner!

Old 06-21-2015, 03:08 AM

Are you still pursuing Kansas, saxon75? I haven't crossed it out - they even have those okie radio shows where they auction Dairy Queen cakes off on the air - ya know which ones I'm talkin' about?

Old 06-21-2015, 10:39 AM

5 posts, read 6,554 times
Hey Elkotronics I don't know much about Dodge City, but I am pretty familiar with Kansas in general. I lived in the northwest part of the state for 16 years. I now live in washington state so I know first hand how different the two states are. In my opinion the people in kansas are as good as it gets. Hard working honest people that will gladly give you the shirt off their back. The weather can be extreme, but the gorgeous sunrise/sunsets you experience almost everyday make up for it. Like every place it has its good and bad, its all what you make of it. Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:07 AM

flatlander87 - thank you for that. That is just the kind of information I need as I ruminate on what I want ta do. I noticed all workers at the hospital, my potential Supervisor and Director and one doctor I met were all nice as could be.

And the people I bumped in to at the hotel were all super nice as well. Thanks again for that information. Should tornados worry a person who might move ta Kansas?

Old 06-21-2015, 01:56 PM

5 posts, read 6,554 times
All the years I was there I never worried about tornadoes. Sure the siren will go off several times every year, but that is to be expected. I would suggest getting a house with a basement, but its not necessary. Usually churches, city buildings and other residents with basements will open up their houses during real bad weather. Hail is another thing. If you own a house have good homeowners insurance as well as good car insurance. My parents have put a new roof on their house several times in the last 10 years do to hail damage. My car got pretty bad damage a couple years ago while I was back visiting.

Old 06-21-2015, 03:32 PM

Oh, yeah. Part of my visit was a tour with a local man who is a real estate agent. He said bad hailstorms are common and they do mess your car up. Most all of the homes he talked about have basements and, if not garages, carports. I have had to flee the 303 freeway that goes in a 'U' around St.Louis before when a storm produced nasty hail. I quickly drove under a car wash to save the rig. It worked and I never experienced another bad hailstorm in the 2 years we lived in Rolla, MO.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:46 AM

Negotiations have begun and my recruiter is doing them for me with the hiring hospital in Dodge City. We're asking for more and getting it so far. Many would say "yeah, but you're goin' ta Dodge City for cryin' out loud!"

I know that and what's more I'm fine with it. Heck, I love my '11 Kia Soul and Dodge City, KS, even has a Kia dealer on the Highway on the west side of town. I looked pretty closely at Dodge City and decided I didn't see or hear anything that bad out there to warrant a "thumbs down."

Even a professional football team named Dodge Law! Wireless Arena there in Dodge seats about 5,000 people. The 70's rock band Boston is coming to Wireless Arena in August. Might go ta that if there's still tickets available.

I'll be deep in prayer the next several days. For sure. Hot, windy, chance of tornados!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas