Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 10:16 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Don't worry about it. I have lived in this area my entire life and I have yet to see a tornado. And you can have a thunderstorm and no tornado. A tornado watch only means that conditions are favorable for tornadoes to develop. But they usually don't. A tornado WARNING means a tornado has been spotted.

It's really nothing to worry about. Chances are you will not be anywhere near a tornado when you are here. If you hear tornado sirens (pretty sure you won't), that means you may be in the path of a tornado that was spotted. Go to a basement and you will be fine. I have lived in my current house for 29 years and I think I have actually gone to the basement twice in all that time and nothing happened.
I've always wanted to see one... from a safe distance, of course
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiegal View Post
Not like I attract tornadoes ....you know. I just happened to be in the wrong places at the right times.
I know... it's not like you're a walking trailer park or something! It seems like people have either never seen one, or else seen a few.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:18 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,611,582 times
Just remember, those 'meteorologists' just use (so it seems) a dart and a dart board at times to predict weather...

Old 05-12-2015, 03:05 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,678,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post
Does the sky really turn green or is this a Wizard of Oz joke? What color green, like St. Patrick's Day, emeralds or a dirty swimming pool?
Yes..the whole air and sky turn a sickly pea green. I kid you not. I have witnessed it a few times. Also, another time..when I was inside a store in SE Kansas, the sky outside got pitch black. It was 3pm. The sirens went off, we all stayed put. After it was over, I drove the 3 miles home and found the first round of hail damage on my new truck. Didn't break any windows. But the house needed a new roof and all the windows on the west side were shattered.
That was May 2002..I believe.

Old 05-12-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I know... it's not like you're a walking trailer park or something! It seems like people have either never seen one, or else seen a few.

I owned a single wide trailer up in Manhattan KS, from 2005-2010. The good thing was the trailer was behind a small berm...a dirt road going up a hill.
Tornadoes generally track from SW to NE. This trailer had been there since 1999.....through many other tornadoes. No damage. It's still there.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Yes..the whole air and sky turn a sickly pea green. I kid you not. I have witnessed it a few times. Also, another time..when I was inside a store in SE Kansas, the sky outside got pitch black. It was 3pm. The sirens went off, we all stayed put. After it was over, I drove the 3 miles home and found the first round of hail damage on my new truck. Didn't break any windows. But the house needed a new roof and all the windows on the west side were shattered.
That was May 2002..I believe.
Those clouds that look like big cotton balls are also a good indicator that the sirens will soon sound.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:39 AM

Black, grey foreboding clouds ..... also a good indicator.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:00 AM

93 posts, read 138,745 times
If you pay attention to the weather on TV/radio/etc you'll be fine. Even when unexpected tornadoes happen, it's not like they just suddenly drop out of the sky on a sunny day. You usually get a thunderstorm warning, which turns into a severe thunderstorm warning "with a chance of rotation, etc" which may turn into a tornado watch effective for certain counties, which may turn into a tornado warning (actually tornadic activity detected in certain areas).

The local stations will dominate the airwaves with weather updates and radar even during an average thunderstorm, let alone a tornado. Once a Tornado Watch has been issued, you just want to make sure you're not far from shelter in the off-chance you'll need it.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:42 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Quote:
Black, grey foreboding clouds ..... also a good indicator.
Hot, humid afternoon with a good south wind, clouds forming.......

Old 05-14-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Hot, humid afternoon with a good south wind, clouds forming.......
Too quiet...too too quiet...hot and humid afternoon. Clouds rumbling off to the west....dark and menacing.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas