Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 02:08 PM

25,592 posts, read 21,764,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The statistics do not presently show in uptick. 6.7% of the population is foreign born (down from 5 years ago). 11.0% of the population speak a language other than English at home. The national averages are 12.9% and 20.7% respectively. Oh, most of the greatest numbers in percentage terms are in the SW counties- massively subsidized commercial ag industry. Don't like it? Change the type of foods you buy.
The ones I am talking about don't show up in the census. The ones I am talking about show up in the grocery store with their anchor babies and emergency rooms for service. Come walk with me through the stores on "welfare" weekend and listen to see how many are speaking Spanish. SE KS has a LOT more than people are aware of. There are trying to cut services for my adult son with Down syndrome because of the state's share but they should be looking at doing something about the illegals free medical care. We give free pre-natal care for the illegal babies too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
to look out of the state for employment: Who is losing jobs to the illegals?
Over 50,000 people in KS: Illegal Aliens Taking U.S. Jobs (2013) and counting as they crawl across the border headed for KS who welcomes them and has for years with open arms.

Study: Illegal Immigrants Cost Kansas Taxpayers $442 million - Watchdog.org

It is past time that people wake up and realize how much this cheap labor for the industries is costing us. If these criminals are allowed a pathway to citizenship, KS will go broke paying their share for public assistance for these people. Employers that E-verify can find it hard to find employees. Seriously, companies look at the stats when deciding on a new location.

You should see the reports on the schools here, not very good. And, when you start looking at how much was being spent and look around at the results, there is/was a problem and it wasn't money: States slashing education spending KS was spending a LOT on education so why are some of the schools performing so poorly?

Those that don't live in areas with higher illegal populations just have no idea. Anchor babies are the future of KS. : ( I told my government representatives to support "E-verify Kansas" and clean it up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 03:24 PM

186 posts, read 157,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Well, hes a Conservative, touted lower taxes, wanted a ban on abortion, and keep gay marriage illegal. What else matters? Of course that's sarcasm, but I honestly believe most Kansans think that way. Hopefully a moderate can win next election and stary to fix everything that's gone wrong. I've met Brownback a handful of times and while he's a great guy, he's not cut out for leadership. He used to be far more moderate fiscally then he is now, but after his terrible debut in the Presidential primaries he has moved far to the right, likely to appease tea partiers.
Sounds like a great guy to me, seriously, no sarcasm intended. Wish we had him instead of our crack-pot nut-case Governor Dayton...blechhhhhh. That one is truly insane.

Old 06-09-2015, 05:14 PM

26,374 posts, read 46,217,550 times
Kansas Governor Sam Brownback threatens to defund judiciary if it rules against him.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:00 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,863,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TateFan333 View Post
Sounds like a great guy to me, seriously, no sarcasm intended. Wish we had him instead of our crack-pot nut-case Governor Dayton...blechhhhhh. That one is truly insane.
My dad was an advisor to Brownback in the late 90s when he was a Representative. My dad always said Brownback went farther right after each election. He was always very socially conservative, but fiscally he was moderate at one time. I think it's the GOP and lobbyists putting out all this crap, and Brownback has decided to let them use him.

I don't know anything about Dayton, but I'm pretty ignorant on other states governors.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:26 PM

26,374 posts, read 46,217,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
My dad was an advisor to Brownback in the late 90s when he was a Representative. My dad always said Brownback went farther right after each election. He was always very socially conservative, but fiscally he was moderate at one time. I think it's the GOP and lobbyists putting out all this crap, and Brownback has decided to let them use him.

I don't know anything about Dayton, but I'm pretty ignorant on other states governors.
MN has a good economy (Twin Cities region in particular). The economy under Walker in WI has been much more mediocre over that same time period.
Follow the money trail in politics, particularly from Koch and corporate big dollar conservative lobbyists. Remember Ross Perot: "that giant sucking sound" is NOW expressed in the apathy of the citizenry as its politics is hijacked by the plutocratic corporatist agenda along with the fallacy of supply side economics that will lead to imaginary job growth.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:44 PM

OK, I'm confused. In this article, it refers to "political reforms" not "defund judiciary": Gov. Sam Brownback Will Eliminate Kansas' Judiciary If It Fails To Rule In His Favor* And, frankly, if I were voting on it, I would take away the power of the judiciary anyway. Our court systems are really bad here and cannot be any less corrupt than Brownback.

So, is this threat to "defund the judiciary" actually appear in writing with his signature on it? I'm looking for it now. It isn't that I want to defend him but there is so much bias in reporting that I don't just automatically trust a source. Actually, I'll call his office tomorrow and get an explanation.

What I don't understand is why those that do not live in KS have their noses in our business. Actually, I do understand, the right to life and marriage being between one man and one woman as the lobbies against those are WELL funded.

So, everyone here went and voted and so did other concerned citizens of Kansas and they chose Brownback and many other Republicans. That really is how the system works. If Brownback is acting so illegally, why isn't something being done about it? We can't afford a Democratic governor. Third party anyone?

Last edited by AnywhereElse; 06-09-2015 at 07:08 PM..

Old 06-09-2015, 07:16 PM

19,641 posts, read 9,962,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
OK, I'm confused. In this article, it refers to "political reforms" not "defund judiciary": Gov. Sam Brownback Will Eliminate Kansas' Judiciary If It Fails To Rule In His Favor* And, frankly, if I were voting on it, I would take away the power of the judiciary anyway. Our court systems are really bad here and cannot be any less corrupt than Brownback.

So, is this threat to "defund the judiciary" actually appear in writing with his signature on it? I'm looking for it now. It isn't that I want to defend him but there is so much bias in reporting that I don't just automatically trust a source. Actually, I'll call his office tomorrow and get an explanation.

What I don't understand is why those that do not live in KS have their noses in our business. Actually, I do understand, the right to life and marriage being between one man and one woman as the lobbies against those are WELL funded.

So, everyone here went and voted and so did other concerned citizens of Kansas and they chose Brownback and many other Republicans. That really is how the system works. If Brownback is acting so illegally, why isn't something being done about it? We can't afford a Democratic governor. Third party anyone?
Not sure he is doing much illegal stuff, just stupid stuff. He cut taxes to the bare minimum with no idea how to pay the states expenses. Now he wants to cut educators to pay for it. Typical Republican. When you run out of money because of giving breaks to the rich, you cut services to the poor, elderly and schools. Next will be roads. And because the courts might find some of his ideas illegal, he wants to cut court funding.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:59 AM

According to this article, only 51% of registered voters in KS voted: Kansas voter turnout in election slightly exceeded prediction | CJOnline.com What I get really tired of is asking the complainers if they voted and hearing "Well, it wouldn't do any good any way." I have heard this time after time. If you didn't get your butt off the couch to either mail in your ballot or go to the polls, you are part of the problem.

We do have Senators and Representatives but I rarely hear complaints about them and they were also elected by the people. They are an important part of the governmental process.

Do they teach American Government in the high schools in Kansas? So, we have the entire right up in arms about Obama and the entire left across the country up in arms about Brownback. Obama makes more sense since he is a US President (and how he ever got elected I will never understand and a 2nd time.......) but with Brownback the focus on him from outside the state I know it has to do with his stand on abortion and gay marriage because people in the other 49 states are not paying KS taxes and aren't having any of there services reduced because of what is being done in KS. That is where my issue lies with this.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:28 AM

19,641 posts, read 9,962,959 times
Apt cartoon

Doonesbury Strip

Old 06-10-2015, 10:47 AM

12,882 posts, read 13,548,684 times
I saw Brownback on one of the Major Network's morning talk shows near the beginning of his first run for Governor of Kansas. I thought what he was proposing was so dumb that surely it was one of those campaign promises that politicians hem and haw and finally make excuses to back away from once elected. This tax experiment is something only Johnson County residents could have benefited from had it worked. All that left is the crash and burn because he is spiraling down. He has proved that he is either spineless in letting big donors twist his arm behind his back or perhaps he is as unintelligent as his tax experiment turned out to be. He also removed all doubt that nobody wants to come to Kansas even if you paid them to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas