Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 08:38 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c353tFE6mck

On Community Connection: Marc Schindler, Mike Cooper of ECTV Hays talks to Marc Schindler, a retired Swiss public television producer who did a 1976 documentary on Hays titled A Quiet America. Scenes from the documentary are shown during the interview.

Marc wanted to do a documentary about the USA that was not New York or Los Angeles. Hays was chosen over Oskaloosa, Iowa because Oskaloosa was "too European". Hays was Marc's first visit to the USA. He and his crew stayed for a month while filming.

Marc stated that "A Quiet America" described Hays in 1976, and still describes it today. He also stated that drivers in Hays were and are much better than in Europe, where they "drive like mad". In the past 39 years Hays "has changed for the best".

ECTV Hays has been trying to secure the rights to rebroadcast the original documentary, which is in French. I hope they are successful, and include a transcript that I can run through Google Translate.

Marc moved to a city of 42,000 in southeast France, where the cost of living is lower; he has a house with a pool. Alas, his wife turned down the opportunity to visit Hays, but they will be visiting New York City together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 05:38 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,341,180 times
Interesting show. Looks like a good time-capsule portrait on small town American life in the '70s.
I just happened to visit Hays last month en route out to Denver. We had lunch at Al's Chickenette- a classic old-style restaurant on the south side of town. I had hoped to see the downtown area, but road construction made it tough to get to, so we had to head back to the freeway. Seemed like a decent town.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:24 AM

When I visited Hays in 2012, there was no road construction, no road closings, and no detours. I know from reading the Hays Post:
Hays Post
that they have construction, road closings, and detours like any other city, but this was a first-time experience for me.

The Wayne county Ohio motto is "You can't get there from here!" I have this recurring urge to flood the Wayne county and Wooster city-data pages with pictures of closed roads, detours, and road construction.

Old 08-23-2015, 05:04 PM

According to Marc Schindler:
I inform you that Eagle TV in Hays KS will broadcast the Swiss documentary "A Quiet America" in French version. There is no English version.

Old 10-10-2017, 06:30 PM

Hays Arts Council to present 1976 documentary on Hays:
https://www.hayspost.com/2017/10/10/...ntary-on-hays/

Saturday October 14. Doors open at 6:30 PM. A free showing at Beach-Schmidt Performing Arts Center.

7:00 PM: Back to Hays in French with subtitles
8:00 PM: A Quiet America in English

I hope these films make it to the internet. I was not aware there was an international version of A Quiet America in English.

Old 10-11-2017, 12:28 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Hays is basically the big cheese in western Kansas, isn't it?

I like the Great Plains.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:58 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
Looks like a wonderful place to live, more like small town America. Would love to investigate for myself but unfortunately the medical resources I require are not available.

Old 07-17-2020, 09:07 AM

These videos are now available on the Hays Arts Council website:
https://haysartscouncil.org/quiet-america

I have been unable to access A Quiet America from YouTube with my 50" 4k television, but since I recently replaced my 22" CRT with a 27" LCD monitor, it's not all bad.

Old 08-20-2020, 10:37 AM

5,975 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c353tFE6mck

On Community Connection: Marc Schindler, Mike Cooper of ECTV Hays talks to Marc Schindler, a retired Swiss public television producer who did a 1976 documentary on Hays titled A Quiet America. Scenes from the documentary are shown during the interview.

Marc wanted to do a documentary about the USA that was not New York or Los Angeles. Hays was chosen over Oskaloosa, Iowa because Oskaloosa was "too European". Hays was Marc's first visit to the USA. He and his crew stayed for a month while filming.

Marc stated that "A Quiet America" described Hays in 1976, and still describes it today. He also stated that drivers in Hays were and are much better than in Europe, where they "drive like mad". In the past 39 years Hays "has changed for the best".

ECTV Hays has been trying to secure the rights to rebroadcast the original documentary, which is in French. I hope they are successful, and include a transcript that I can run through Google Translate.

Marc moved to a city of 42,000 in southeast France, where the cost of living is lower; he has a house with a pool. Alas, his wife turned down the opportunity to visit Hays, but they will be visiting New York City together.
How is Oskaloosa too European?

Old 08-21-2020, 02:57 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
How is Oskaloosa too European?
It is likely that, at the time of production of the documentary in question, Oskalooa, IA had too many first- and second-generation immigrants from Germany, Holland and Scandinavia to qualify as "all-American," at least relative to Hays, KS. If you conduct a quick Google search of businesses in Oskaloosa, IA, you will observe many of the surnames included in local business names are mostly non-English. Here are some examples:
  • DeJong Greenhouse
  • Jaarsma Bakery
  • Mauer Supply
  • Musco Sports Lighting
  • Orscheln Farm and Home
  • Rolffs Auto Service
  • Stam Garden Nursery
  • Tasos' Steakhouse
  • Van Gorp Auto Recyclers
  • Van Roekel Appliance
  • Van Wall Equipment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas