Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 06:13 PM

77,734 posts, read 59,858,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Mainly because they leave for other states. "The state experienced a net loss of 10,197 people because of outward migration from 2010 through July 1, 2013." Out-migration does not impact the unemployment rate but does result in creative destruction of the labor force. The issue is apparent in other states as well.
The out-migration numbers from 2014 onward should be much more telling, however. The static to decline in the total labor force in the state also aligns fairly well with that as well.

Census: More people moving out of Kansas than moving in | The Wichita Eagle
Yes, this has been going on for a while and is a national rural-state phenomenon.

So you bring this up after I show the state doing well in unemployment but not before when people are using the change in the rate as proof of the state going to hell in a handbasket?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 06:48 PM

26,374 posts, read 46,217,550 times
BLS Data Information Update:
"
"

Last edited by GraniteStater; 09-22-2015 at 07:25 PM..

Old 09-22-2015, 07:05 PM

What you just did to the y-axis scale there is a mental felony in my job circles lmao.

Tell you what, change the scale to 0-2 million and repost mmmmmkay?

Old 09-22-2015, 07:11 PM

OMG...my 16 year old just walked by and asked about the graph I was looking at.

I asked him, "spot what is wrong with this graph" as I got up to go to the bathroom.

I'd not gotten out of the chair when he started laughing at the scale on your graph.

And I quote, "Wow, look at the axis......"

Seriously, when an intelligent 16yo from the KS public school system can spot the bias in your graph within 3 seconds, maybe you should consider taking a step back?

Old 09-22-2015, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
What you just did to the y-axis scale there is a mental felony in my job circles lmao.

Re-posted, snipped, saved as PNG, and pasted from my photobucket in table format. The trends in employment over the recent six month period carry more weight.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 09-22-2015 at 07:23 PM..

Old 09-22-2015, 07:24 PM

Quote:

Agreed, terrible table, I am actually deleting it as it is very poor.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:39 PM

25,592 posts, read 21,764,305 times
I don't use graphs or tables. I use empty houses and empty businesses to do my analysis.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:45 PM

In terms of total employment per August 2015, that is a seven figure number, so with math, rounded, 1,396,400. Total current state population, 2.904 million.
The smoothed out annualized percentage change in job growth is going in the wrong direction in a hurry compared to most of the rest of the US. The other states that all have weak growth within the past year are all large energy producing states, Kansas is not among them.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 09-22-2015 at 08:22 PM..

Old 09-22-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Yes, this has been going on for a while and is a national rural-state phenomenon.

So you bring this up after I show the state doing well in unemployment but not before when people are using the change in the rate as proof of the state going to hell in a handbasket?
Rural states like Nebraska, Iowa, Vermont, New Hampshire, South Dakota, etc are typically low growth places for the most part, therefore they might have "full employment" but have little in the way of strong job growth and significant levels of in-migration. A few exceptions exist in those states regarding its largest cities like Des Moines and Omaha, but those tend to be regional in-migration draws.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:55 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,701,460 times
Quote:
Lol the reason the KS side of the forum is full of threads like this is because if you pulled this crap in the other forums you'd get your threads deleted and infractions levied.
You honestly think this don't you? I tell it like it is. The KS economy is just not good, the state has ONE county that anybody even cares about and it's totally subsidized by the rest of the state. Few want to move there, companies from outside the KC area won't even give the place a second thought no matter how many incentives the state offers. Most of the cities and towns there outside of Johnson County and the two college towns are a mess. Urban areas like Wichita, Topeka and KCK are all some of the worst cities compared to their peers in other states. Small towns from Pittsburg to Dodge City have high crime, high poverty and little to look forward to. The state has one of the worst governors ever which has made the state a national laughing stock. High taxes with almost nothing to show for it (little recreation or public park land, no transit, terribly decaying urban and rural areas). The one thing the state likes to brag about (JoCo public schools) are have been going through some deep funding cuts which will eventually effect the schools rankings. The other thing (JoCo being the job engine of the state) is not looking too great lately.

But they have somewhat low unemployment rate!

There is nothing wrong with this post either. If I were to post a similar thread in Maryland or Virginia, it would not be deleted. The post would not be reported to the mods and if it were, they wouldn't care because I'm not saying anything that would warrant infractions or deletions of threads.

Face it. You don't like my posts because you don't want to hear this stuff. I get that. But it doesn't mean I'm a troll posting nonsense just because you and a few die hard Kansans don't want to read it.

Nothing has changed since I left KC. Kansas is still a thorn in the side of KCMO freeloading, poaching and taking advantage to KCMO, while having zero interest in doing anything that benefits the region as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas