Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2016, 12:40 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Unemployment is high throughout the United States.
Most states have added a good number of jobs in percentage terms. Only a few have lost jobs or have treaded water. I'm not sure what you consider to be a high unemployment rate without factoring in changes in labor force participation rate on a state by state level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 01:10 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
Default Kansas job losses...

Quote:
Unemployment is high throughout the United States.

No, it's not which is a fact that be easily determined by the examination of factual data.
It's also not a haphazard or politically tainted statement, by the way.
Let's do better at keeping up with the news from non-partisan news sources please.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:48 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
No, it's not which is a fact that be easily determined by the examination of factual data.
It's also not a haphazard or politically tainted statement, by the way.
Let's do better at keeping up with the news from non-partisan news sources please.
If you call Kansas unemployment at 3.7% "high," (talk about politically tainted statements!), the national unemployment rate is higher. It has hovered between 5.3% and 4.7% in the last year.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:05 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Washington and Oregon have higher unemployment rates but much faster job growth overall, and more people tend to move to those states as well. Different states have different scenarios play out in terms of economics. The labor force participation decline in Kansas and some other states is still a factor, and very slow year over year job growth rates are a reason. This is why the state has very slow population growth even with a younger than average population.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:30 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Kansas gains 2,600 jobs in May | CJOnline.com

Kansas gained 2,600 jobs between May and April, but the state is down 700 jobs over the year, making it one of only six in the nation to lose jobs.

Playing catch-up doesn't count as job gains
Syrabrian, I was going to let your good news just sit there and wait. First off, kudos for not ducking it....like others have lol.

However, when I pointed out that left wing nuttery was in effect you denied it. (I mean dear god, do you think the right wing is the only insane part of the political spectrum? )

Now what do we have?

The only person responding has blown off the number because "the total is still negative".

If you note earlier in the thread they ignored gains before using other twisted logic...but the minute the numbers go bad....oh boy THEN it really means something.

So basically, when KS loses jobs it's an indictment and when KS gains jobs it's to be ignored.

I criticize brownback and have never voted for him but even pointing out basic stuff like this gets me called a "brownback apologist" or "right winger".

What a joke this forum is. Constant attacks and the rational a-political defense is called partisan. It's sad. If I didn't have 0 respect for rush limbaugh fans I'd say I have more respect for them.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Washington and Oregon have higher unemployment rates but much faster job growth overall, and more people tend to move to those states as well. Different states have different scenarios play out in terms of economics. The labor force participation decline in Kansas and some other states is still a factor, and very slow year over year job growth rates are a reason. This is why the state has very slow population growth even with a younger than average population.
What is your analysis of the covariance due to rural depopulation?

How does that impact your views?

Old 06-20-2016, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Most states have added a good number of jobs in percentage terms. Only a few have lost jobs or have treaded water. I'm not sure what you consider to be a high unemployment rate without factoring in changes in labor force participation rate on a state by state level.

Why then is this thread about citing numbers and not percentages? You're ignoring other pertinent random variables like rural depopulation due to agricultural economies of scale which you admit occur but aren't mentioning here.

When other people have mentioned "job losses" you haven't rebuked that but now you have an issue?

Old 06-21-2016, 04:08 AM

12,963 posts, read 13,676,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Syrabrian, I was going to let your good news just sit there and wait. First off, kudos for not ducking it....like others have lol.

However, when I pointed out that left wing nuttery was in effect you denied it. (I mean dear god, do you think the right wing is the only insane part of the political spectrum? )

Now what do we have?

The only person responding has blown off the number because "the total is still negative".

If you note earlier in the thread they ignored gains before using other twisted logic...but the minute the numbers go bad....oh boy THEN it really means something.

So basically, when KS loses jobs it's an indictment and when KS gains jobs it's to be ignored.

I criticize brownback and have never voted for him but even pointing out basic stuff like this gets me called a "brownback apologist" or "right winger".

What a joke this forum is. Constant attacks and the rational a-political defense is called partisan. It's sad. If I didn't have 0 respect for rush limbaugh fans I'd say I have more respect for them.
calling those numbers gains is a little like some one cutting off your arm and handing it back to you and saying you got three arms now. The two you had and the one I just gave you.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:47 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
Quote:
If you call Kansas unemployment at 3.7% "high," (talk about politically tainted statements!), the national unemployment rate is higher. It has hovered between 5.3% and 4.7% in the last year.

You wrote that "...unemployment is high throughout the United States."
I challenged that & still say that you are incorrect... unless you call the 4.9-5.0% range high, which economists would not agree with & which would place you well outside of the norm.
So, explain yourself & perhaps provide a link that proves that "...unemployment is high throughout the United States."

Old 06-21-2016, 09:11 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,096,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Now what do we have?

If folks are dissatisfied because Kansas has lost jobs over a reasonable period of time, I can't blame them.

I'd rather have decent job growth over an unemployment rate that was dropping due to workforce shrinkage and state abandonment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas