Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 04:25 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times

Advertisements

I was looking up something unrelated in KS and came across this article and I have personally live/lived in 2 of these cities and have knowledge of a couple of the others so I "understand": These Are The 10 Worst Places To Live In Kansas - RoadSnacks So, what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 06:14 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,896 times
I'd probably agree with that list for the most part. Though I'm not sure if population density should have anything to do with the quality of life factor. SEKS towns are pretty terrible. It should be noted that Wichita has pretty nice suburban towns. Though the city proper isn't very good. KCKS has improved, but still deserves to be on the list imo.

Old 11-22-2015, 06:26 AM

206 posts, read 238,547 times
I like the 'best places to live' included multiple KC suburbs. Area is prosperous, lots of cultural/art activities, huge outdoors lifestyle for city...Old part of KC has been trashed, allowed to fall over to move the poor minorities to Section 8 elsewhere and move the bars into these old ghettos. Outside areas of KC are top desirable places to live/work for Kansas. I highly recommend you know a local as the politics of the area is kind of tough for new people who try living in poorer areas of KC.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:17 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,458,564 times
How does my old hometown of Hutch stay off that list? Last time I drove through it, it seemed like an excellent candidate for about 7th.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
How does my old hometown of Hutch stay off that list? Last time I drove through it, it seemed like an excellent candidate for about 7th.
Lol, that's true. Hutch has seen a bit of a revival the last few years, so maybe it just missed the list.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:56 AM

396 posts, read 998,872 times
I guess I was the exception... I had a great childhood in SEK. A place is what you make it. Besides, some of those communities have arts and community programs that rival towns much larger in size. That list makes it sound and look like they're all bombed out, when in reality you can live a nice life there. Plus, if you like outdoor recreation, SEK is the place for that in Kansas. It's true Fairway and Leawood are nice places. They also have the Plaza next door, are full of millionaires and lack diversity both racially and economically. So, if that's the only way to live then it's perfect. Personally, I don't put much stock in those lists good or bad anyway. Last year there was a best places list that had several of the same towns as this one, so...

Old 11-23-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer88 View Post
I guess I was the exception... I had a great childhood in SEK. A place is what you make it. Besides, some of those communities have arts and community programs that rival towns much larger in size. That list makes it sound and look like they're all bombed out, when in reality you can live a nice life there. Plus, if you like outdoor recreation, SEK is the place for that in Kansas. It's true Fairway and Leawood are nice places. They also have the Plaza next door, are full of millionaires and lack diversity both racially and economically. So, if that's the only way to live then it's perfect. Personally, I don't put much stock in those lists good or bad anyway. Last year there was a best places list that had several of the same towns as this one, so...
I'm probably too harsh on SEKS, I'm sure there are some nice towns. I went to college for a couple years in NW Arkansas and traveled through the area frequently, and my brother lived in Pittsburg. I still have some friends who live their as well. It's not somewhere I could ever live, but the countryside is very pretty. Every time I passed through the area I had a sketchy encounter... I like the Ozarks, so I would drive different routes and see different towns and whatnot.

Kansas just isn't a good state for outdoorsy people, which I am one. Unless one likes to hunt and fish, which I don't really do.

Old 11-24-2015, 04:46 AM

12,956 posts, read 13,673,944 times
SEK is a cluster of towns that are not thriving. They have high crime because they only attract poor people. I think in Pittsburg it was said that 52% percent of the homes are owned by 5% of the population. Its a slum lords paradise particularly since the university stepped up efforts to build new dorms and many new complexes are now available for students. Half the houses in the city are for near do wells and the slum lords fight tooth and nail to keep property taxes low by keeping their properties exterior's looking ghastly . So the cycle of greed and poverty persist.

Old 11-24-2015, 05:25 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer88 View Post
Things can change. There are a LOT of run down homes and a high usage of welfare. They were going to close the SRS office in Pittsburg and the people got upset. For 2 counties, they have 30 SRS workers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
SEK is a cluster of towns that are not thriving. They have high crime because they only attract poor people. I think in Pittsburg it was said that 52% percent of the homes are owned by 5% of the population. Its a slum lords paradise particularly since the university stepped up efforts to build new dorms and many new complexes are now available for students. Half the houses in the city are for near do wells and the slum lords fight tooth and nail to keep property taxes low by keeping their properties exterior's looking ghastly . So the cycle of greed and poverty persist.
The towns are very run down. Fort Scott is actually making the biggest effort in cleaning up the town and that success is due to the City Manager. Both PIttsburg and Fort Scott lie right there on the highway where the Mexican drug cartel runs through. Some of the smaller towns are even worse. KBI doesn't touch it and won't have a conversation about it. Thief is high because when the welfare check runs out they still metal items to sell for cash.

I was always surprised that Pittsburg was so run down as a college town. Emporia is the same but more so due to the illegals. Manhattan was always one of the nicest towns. Generally towns with colleges are just the nicer areas. Salina and Lindsborg were also always nice.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:59 PM

767 posts, read 1,322,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Things can change. There are a LOT of run down homes and a high usage of welfare. They were going to close the SRS office in Pittsburg and the people got upset. For 2 counties, they have 30 SRS workers.

The towns are very run down. Fort Scott is actually making the biggest effort in cleaning up the town and that success is due to the City Manager. Both PIttsburg and Fort Scott lie right there on the highway where the Mexican drug cartel runs through. Some of the smaller towns are even worse. KBI doesn't touch it and won't have a conversation about it. Thief is high because when the welfare check runs out they still metal items to sell for cash.

I was always surprised that Pittsburg was so run down as a college town. Emporia is the same but more so due to the illegals. Manhattan was always one of the nicest towns. Generally towns with colleges are just the nicer areas. Salina and Lindsborg were also always nice.
Since when has Salina been considered nice? It's no better off than Emporia, Junction City, Dodge City, Garden City... The crime there is worse than Hutchinson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas