Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 09:36 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_rider View Post
Kansas is another red state dominated by Republicans and with no initiative process. Even though a recent Kansas Speaks 2015 Public Opinion Survey shows 68% of Kansans supporting medical cannabis and 63% supporting decriminalization, the Kansas state leadership continues to ignore the desires of its citizens. Even modest proposals, such as the medicinal use of cannabidiol to treat patients suffering from seizures, have been blocked in the state senate.

Facing some of the strictest laws in the country, the authorities can come and take your kid away and lock you up for years because you grow or use cannabis to fight cancer, Crohn’s disease, PTSD, and other illnesses. Second time offenders caught with as little as a single gram will face felony charges, up to three and a half years incarceration, and a $100,000 fine. The legacy of alcohol prohibition lingers, too: Almost all of its counties are either dry or semi-dry.

Since Colorado has legalized cannabis for both recreational and medical use, less children use pot, traffic fatalities are at an all-time low, and there is less use of dangerous and addictive pharmaceutical drugs. Violent crime has dropped and the state has banked massive tax revenues. According to recently released figures, the Colorado Department of Revenue in 2014 brought in $70 million in taxes relating to cannabis, just one of many good reasons to replace marijuana prohibition with a system of regulation.

There are well over one-hundred documented scientific studies showing cannabis can effectively treat numerous types of cancer, improve immunity, and fight anxiety and pain. The National Cancer Institute recently released a report on cannabis concluding that THC (the active ingredient in cannabis) caused a 45 percent reduction in bladder cancer, remission in breast and liver cancer and more. They have also determined that there is no lethal dose of marijuana and addictive potential is considerably lower than any other medicine available.

I simply cannot fathom that in this era of advanced scientific knowledge, where the beneficial effects of cannabis have been proven time and again, that we have an uninformed / uneducated public that cling to the idea that "weed" is just as dangerous as heroin, meth, crack cocaine, LSD, and other illicit drugs. Couple that with the fact that pharmaceutical companies pay lobbyists millions of dollars to keep cannabis classified as a Schedule 1 drug and then you might begin to understand. Those same companies stand to lose billions of dollars in revenue if cannabis is ever dropped from Schedule 1 because that's when people will figure out just how many pills can be replaced by a lowly, natural plant. And there are also those that say rescheduling / decriminalization would cost millions of jobs in the Prisons for Profit, Law Enforcement, Judicial and Legal defense industries. But I suppose their justification is that in a vibrant and robust economy such as ours, we cannot jeopardize all we've built just to save some useless lives.

Either our state’s leaders are simply morons who are unable (or unwilling) to see the health, social, and economic benefits of cannabis legalization, or they are just holding the party line and continuing to spout the same drivel they always have while their pockets and purses get heavy with dollars from the pharmaceutical and prison industries. What’s really sad is these morons were voted into office by the majority of Kansas residents.

If you can escape this state, do it. You’ll be glad you’re not in Kansas anymore, Dorothy.
There's an article in the Denver Post today about a Kansan veteran who came to Colorado to get legal MJ to treat his pain and PTSD. So Kansas took away his 5 children.

Living in Denver, I've noticed zero change since it became legal, other than pot shops here and there. And the economy is booming, although I doubt legal week is the primary reason for that.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:13 PM

294 posts, read 232,818 times
I guess the latest news to come out of Brownbackistan is his attempt to cut Medicaid funding for Planned Parenthood. Sure to follow will be his plan to offset the things that PP does besides abortion, like cancer screenings, contraception and other womens care. Lawsuits will follow as they have in other states that have attempted to do the same resulting in massive legal fees for the state. He can have the best tax deal in the nation and corporations and jobs will still stay away until the public has enough and gets rid of him and others like him......how bad will things have to get? Stay Tuned.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:19 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Well, tax revenue was $8 million more than expected in November. But if you lower taxes then you would expect tax revenue to be lower, so I don't see why that would be a surprise.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:21 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
It's interesting how every time something negative is posted about Kansas, we have "new" posters come in and comment and then disappear forever.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:03 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
There's an article in the Denver Post today about a Kansan veteran who came to Colorado to get legal MJ to treat his pain and PTSD. So Kansas took away his 5 children.

Living in Denver, I've noticed zero change since it became legal, other than pot shops here and there. And the economy is booming, although I doubt legal week is the primary reason for that.
1. Link?

2. How much revenue is the pot estimated to add to Colorados economy? What % is that?

If you can't provide\answer either then How can you make the statements you just made or are you just guessing?

Old 01-14-2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_rider View Post
Kansas is another red state dominated by Republicans and with no initiative process. Even though a recent Kansas Speaks 2015 Public Opinion Survey shows 68% of Kansans supporting medical cannabis and 63% supporting decriminalization, the Kansas state leadership continues to ignore the desires of its citizens. Even modest proposals, such as the medicinal use of cannabidiol to treat patients suffering from seizures, have been blocked in the state senate.

Facing some of the strictest laws in the country, the authorities can come and take your kid away and lock you up for years because you grow or use cannabis to fight cancer, Crohn’s disease, PTSD, and other illnesses. Second time offenders caught with as little as a single gram will face felony charges, up to three and a half years incarceration, and a $100,000 fine. The legacy of alcohol prohibition lingers, too: Almost all of its counties are either dry or semi-dry.

Since Colorado has legalized cannabis for both recreational and medical use, less children use pot, traffic fatalities are at an all-time low, and there is less use of dangerous and addictive pharmaceutical drugs. Violent crime has dropped and the state has banked massive tax revenues. According to recently released figures, the Colorado Department of Revenue in 2014 brought in $70 million in taxes relating to cannabis, just one of many good reasons to replace marijuana prohibition with a system of regulation.

There are well over one-hundred documented scientific studies showing cannabis can effectively treat numerous types of cancer, improve immunity, and fight anxiety and pain. The National Cancer Institute recently released a report on cannabis concluding that THC (the active ingredient in cannabis) caused a 45 percent reduction in bladder cancer, remission in breast and liver cancer and more. They have also determined that there is no lethal dose of marijuana and addictive potential is considerably lower than any other medicine available.

I simply cannot fathom that in this era of advanced scientific knowledge, where the beneficial effects of cannabis have been proven time and again, that we have an uninformed / uneducated public that cling to the idea that "weed" is just as dangerous as heroin, meth, crack cocaine, LSD, and other illicit drugs. Couple that with the fact that pharmaceutical companies pay lobbyists millions of dollars to keep cannabis classified as a Schedule 1 drug and then you might begin to understand. Those same companies stand to lose billions of dollars in revenue if cannabis is ever dropped from Schedule 1 because that's when people will figure out just how many pills can be replaced by a lowly, natural plant. And there are also those that say rescheduling / decriminalization would cost millions of jobs in the Prisons for Profit, Law Enforcement, Judicial and Legal defense industries. But I suppose their justification is that in a vibrant and robust economy such as ours, we cannot jeopardize all we've built just to save some useless lives.

Either our state’s leaders are simply morons who are unable (or unwilling) to see the health, social, and economic benefits of cannabis legalization, or they are just holding the party line and continuing to spout the same drivel they always have while their pockets and purses get heavy with dollars from the pharmaceutical and prison industries. What’s really sad is these morons were voted into office by the majority of Kansas residents.

If you can escape this state, do it. You’ll be glad you’re not in Kansas anymore, Dorothy.
Thanks for the info.

Frankly, I think anyone that thinks they have to leave ANY state to easily get some weed is arguably the stupidest person I've ever heard of but hey....thanks for the advice brah.

Thanks for the cut and past drive-by too....really winning hearts and minds with that crap.

P.S. I'm pro-legal marijuana.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
My point is the mobility of the wealthy. If you live in a state in the middle of the country, it doesn't cost much to go anywhere in the country for vacations and what not. Since Florida is a vacation spot, they can charge sales tax and still have people vacation and actually move there. Living in a vacation spot is fun and also saves money on vacations. The residents of other states subsidize Florida's lack of an income tax.

However, when true believers make projections, they believe all the rich people savings will be spent in their state and easily make up any income tax shortfall with the sales tax increase Unfortunately, Kansas won't ever get a bevy of tourists to subsidize smaller income taxes.

When that doesn't work, the true believers hike up sales taxes and cigarette taxes and alcohol taxes and then think that taxing consumption won't cause less of it. So now the rich have money to spend out of state and the rest must spend money out of state to get more bang for the buck. So everybody crosses state lines. And of course, less folks cross state lines from Kansas' many border states to shop there.

With its most prosperous county on the Missouri border and with an international airport nearby, a state like Kansas needs to have a revenue system that is based on income with lower sales and sin taxes. It's the only way to keep spending in state and attract consumer spending from out of state.
Actually, I don't disagree with that....but do you believe that is you tax the crap out of VERY rich people that they won't just domicile in another state?

There is a curve where taxing too little is bad for the state and taxing too much....is bad for the state.

I'm not one of the zealots with a pitchfork screaming for one end of the spectrum.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
It's interesting how every time something negative is posted about Kansas, we have "new" posters come in and comment and then disappear forever.
Same crap the Chicago posters have to deal with because Obama is from there. Well that and the fact that Chicago is still a segregated city where they blame guns for the povery and gang violence.

Murder rate in Austin per 100k people? 35
Murder rate in Lincoln Park per 100K? 1

Distance? 3 miles.
Law difference? None.
Police difference? None.

Official explanation of cause? Guns.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:50 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,093,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Actually, I don't disagree with that....but do you believe that is you tax the crap out of VERY rich people that they won't just domicile in another state?

There is a curve where taxing too little is bad for the state and taxing too much....is bad for the state.

I'm not one of the zealots with a pitchfork screaming for one end of the spectrum.
I'm just saying that if Kansas wanted to give tax cuts, it should have cut taxes evenly between income, general sales and sin taxes. Not cut the income tax and hike the sales tax and then hike sin taxes after things didn't work out according to plan.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:19 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
1. Link?

2. How much revenue is the pot estimated to add to Colorados economy? What % is that?

If you can't provide\answer either then How can you make the statements you just made or are you just guessing?
Kansas holds children of Colorado veteran who uses medical marijuana - Canon City Daily Record

I don't make sh%t up!

As for my second statement, I wasn't attempting to make an argument or prove some point. Just saying that life in Denver remains the same. Unemployment is low in Denver and my company can't even find local candidates to fill positions. But we aren't looking for stoners...

http://money.cnn.com/2015/02/12/news...a-tax-revenue/

But this says pot revenue the first year was $53MM.

Last edited by denverian; 01-15-2016 at 09:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas