Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 05:00 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
^ yea because people driving a few miles to shop has anything to do with my post .

Yes, JoCo has a lot of retail development, far more than the county could ever support on its own. Developers like JoCo because you can get incentives to build a new development in affluent suburban areas, so yes, it has become a shopping destination for much of the south metro. Those shoppers still drive back to the MO side though where they own homes etc for a reason though...

Regardless, what a way to try to change the topic haha.
Or they would like to live in Kansas, but can't afford to...

When I lived in KCMO my top priority was to be able to afford to move back to Johnson County.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:06 PM

294 posts, read 233,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post

Interesting article from the Wichita Eagle not the KCStar. But then again the Eagle is a leftist organization just like the Star as well as Wichita State University who did the study. I will only believe it when I see it on Faux News since they are the only ones that speak the truth.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:44 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,166,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
So I wouldn't take a news article as "proof" of anything and would trust my own eyes more than something I see in the Kansas City Star.
Seems smart. I think trusting one's own limited experience and confirmation bias is almost always better than trusting data or facts, especially when those facts don't support your opinions.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Seems smart. I think trusting one's own limited experience and confirmation bias is almost always better than trusting data or facts, especially when those facts don't support your opinions.
News stories are inaccurate all the time and there is definite media bias/slant/agenda. Not necessarily in this article, but it is prevalent.

All I am saying is that what I see, living near the state line, is not consistent with this article. Again, I do not understand why someone would come across the state line to pay more for food, but I see it constantly. It could be that people are using EBT cards, which I believe are not taxed. That's the only thing that makes sense to me. There is a grocery store at Brookside. one at Ward Parkway, one at 103rd and State Line and one at 135th and State Line, all on the Missouri side, so it's a mystery to me why the grocery store parking lots on the Kansas side are always filled with Missouri plates. I would take pics for you, but probably not a good idea to post people's license plates online...

Old 01-19-2016, 07:00 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
I just loving saying "Cerner $1.5billion", I think it's time for a new status for my ID.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:01 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Quote:
Quote:
It could be that people are using EBT cards
You are the poster child of why so many people on the MO side of metro KC have so much resentment towards JoCo.

When I lived in Brookside/Waldo, we shopped in JoCo all the time simply because it was convenient. Lots of people do and you will see just as many Kansas plates on the MO side in areas like Ward Parkway Mall, Downtown Brookside, Watts Mill etc. The parking lots at all that retail on the MO side near Martin City is majority Kansas people. Leawood is too good for Target or Walmart, but their residents drive across state line road and shop there in droves.

I would be willing to bet that 99% of the MO shoppers have zero interest in actually living in KS just as most KS people shopping in MO probably have little interest in living in MO. But residents of both states cross state line regularly for shopping, dining, employment etc. This idea of people "wishing" they could afford to live in JoCo is total hogwash and only wishful thinking. Most people from MO that shop in places like grocers near state line or destination retail such as crate and barell etc are from a similar demographic as JoCo. It's not bus riders from Troost trying to use their food stamp vouchers and sight seeing how the other half lives.

That part of metro KC might have a state line running through it, but people cross it every day all day long as if it were just another street.

Get over yourself.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:31 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
That part of metro KC might have a state line running through it, but people cross it every day all day long as if it were just another street.

Get over yourself.
Um, haven't you repeatedly trashed the Kansas side of the metro for being on the other side of an arbitrary line and not having the stadiums, museums, zoo etc?

I mean, I distinctly recall pointing out to you that I support the entire greater KC metro after you'd ranted about how the KS side doesn't have all these things and I told you I just drive over to them.

In short, it's kinda hilarious watching you fly off the handle when presented with your own argument but with the states reversed but hey.....hypocrisy thy name is Cerner 1.5billion now isn't it?

Old 01-19-2016, 08:04 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Um, haven't you repeatedly trashed the Kansas side of the metro for being on the other side of an arbitrary line and not having the stadiums, museums, zoo etc?

I mean, I distinctly recall pointing out to you that I support the entire greater KC metro after you'd ranted about how the KS side doesn't have all these things and I told you I just drive over to them.

In short, it's kinda hilarious watching you fly off the handle when presented with your own argument but with the states reversed but hey.....hypocrisy thy name is Cerner 1.5billion now isn't it?
Yea, I state KS residents use them, but don't want to contribute to them which has nothing to do with shopping at Price Chopper. I do think the KS side should contribute, because the state line should not be an excuse to freeload off of KCMO. Why should Liberty and Lee's Summit contribute, but Leawood not? Are they part of metro KC or not? JoCo is part of KC when they want to be like when the Royals win or when they want to go to the Zoo, but they not part of KC when asked to join a metropolitan funding mechanism or when they want to poach a KCMO company.

And I hate everything about the Cerner project, especially the corporate handout they are getting. I have been one of their biggest online critics. You can find plenty of my posts about it. So I have no idea why you brought that up. However, if you really want to bring it up, it's still not the same as what Kansas does. The only way it can be compared to what Kansas does is rather than ten thousand new jobs to the metro, it was KCMO poaching Sprint or something. Oh and in Kansas it wouldn't be a redevelopment location, it would be clear out on K-7 or on 167th Street on fresh farmland rather than at Indian Springs Mall or something. So as much as I hate the Cerner project, it's still not the same as what KS does.

Please tell me you are not actually agreeing with those two posts I quoted. You guys will side with each other no matter what. It's the same as how you are all on here defending Brownback when you know he has F'd up the state.

Last edited by kcmo; 01-19-2016 at 08:24 AM..

Old 01-19-2016, 08:57 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,166,730 times
Quote:

Many of the KCMO neighborhoods that abut the KS state line have higher home values, especially per square foot, than Johnson County. Almost everyone in the SW corridor could easily afford to live in Johnson County, and usually could afford a bigger and cheaper JoCo home, but choose not to.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Many of the KCMO neighborhoods that abut the KS state line have higher home values, especially per square foot, than Johnson County. Almost everyone in the SW corridor could easily afford to live in Johnson County, and usually could afford a bigger and cheaper JoCo home, but choose not to.
And there are also people who would like to live in Johnson County but can't afford to. I was one of them in my mid 20s. I choose to live in Johnson County even if I could buy a bigger home for the same price on the Missouri side. And there are many like me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas