Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 11:10 AM

78,547 posts, read 60,749,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Yea, I state KS residents use them, but don't want to contribute to them which has nothing to do with shopping at Price Chopper. I do think the KS side should contribute, because the state line should not be an excuse to freeload off of KCMO. Why should Liberty and Lee's Summit contribute, but Leawood not? Are they part of metro KC or not? JoCo is part of KC when they want to be like when the Royals win or when they want to go to the Zoo, but they not part of KC when asked to join a metropolitan funding mechanism or when they want to poach a KCMO company.

And I hate everything about the Cerner project, especially the corporate handout they are getting. I have been one of their biggest online critics. You can find plenty of my posts about it. So I have no idea why you brought that up. However, if you really want to bring it up, it's still not the same as what Kansas does. The only way it can be compared to what Kansas does is rather than ten thousand new jobs to the metro, it was KCMO poaching Sprint or something. Oh and in Kansas it wouldn't be a redevelopment location, it would be clear out on K-7 or on 167th Street on fresh farmland rather than at Indian Springs Mall or something. So as much as I hate the Cerner project, it's still not the same as what KS does.

Please tell me you are not actually agreeing with those two posts I quoted. You guys will side with each other no matter what. It's the same as how you are all on here defending Brownback when you know he has F'd up the state.
You make many many irrational attacks on how bad the state is and each time I crush you with facts and logic and then you pretty much rage spasm like you just did. Then you call it "defending Brownback" after I've been clobbering him in this very thread? lol...that takes a lot of nerve to try to pull off that whopper.

LOL...OF COURSE Cerner is different....because Missouri did it!

You always support the Cerner initiative....wheee....look at me....I can ethically match you!

Old 01-19-2016, 11:21 AM

78,547 posts, read 60,749,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Many of the KCMO neighborhoods that abut the KS state line have higher home values, especially per square foot, than Johnson County. Almost everyone in the SW corridor could easily afford to live in Johnson County, and usually could afford a bigger and cheaper JoCo home, but choose not to.
Most of the time our comments are merely aimed at winding up people that just come into forums calling people idiots and morons and telling us how our state is a dying craphole that no one would want to otherwise move to unless paid.

As such, if you are going to ignore those comments and join in then this has just been a public service announcement.

So, in response....yes, KCMO has several very nice neighborhoods including the one my buddy lives in south of the plaza. However, he doesn't have kids and didn't have to face the harsh reality of private schools or moving. My other buddy chose moving to JOCO when faced with the choice.

Something about wanting his kids to graduate highschool, be literate and the high cost of custom bullet proof backpacks for 3rd graders.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:27 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,907,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The key difference is that Brownback and cronies did not have alternate revenue streams to depend on after cutting income taxes for businesses and LLC's. Kansas does not have a large energy sector that pays taxes to the state, does not have much of any tourism revenues, and contends with the fact that many residents near a state line purchase goods where regressive sales taxes on basic items like grocery food items are less. There is also a significant lag between policy implementation and population flows as well. Why is the state so desperate to spend inordinate sums of money per employee to attract businesses across the state line? Businesses look at different states/markets to expand in and you have to market yourself as an attractive place for people to live and work. Kansas is demographically unbalanced compared to many states with a high percentage of elderly people and a high percentage of very young people, but with a good chunk of middle aged and younger adults missing as they leave. Kansas does not offer much to younger single people and you have to retain that demographic to have more significant economic growth.
I agree with most of what you say, but again, it's not just a Kansas problem, if a rural agricultural state problem, and I don't think anything the government does will bring people into the state, such as tax cuts. In reality I don't think the average Kansas was really concerned with the tax cuts bringing in more people or even jobs, the people voting just wanted the savings on their own pocket book. Reality is, more and more people will move from rural areas to metros (in or out of state). My family has, and I know many others who have as well. My family has farmed in Eastern Kansas since the 1860's, finally about 20 years ago they sold off the remainder of their land and we moved closer to Topeka.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:09 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,287,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
You are the poster child of why so many people on the MO side of metro KC have so much resentment towards JoCo.

When I lived in Brookside/Waldo, we shopped in JoCo all the time simply because it was convenient. Lots of people do and you will see just as many Kansas plates on the MO side in areas like Ward Parkway Mall, Downtown Brookside, Watts Mill etc. The parking lots at all that retail on the MO side near Martin City is majority Kansas people. Leawood is too good for Target or Walmart, but their residents drive across state line road and shop there in droves.

I would be willing to bet that 99% of the MO shoppers have zero interest in actually living in KS just as most KS people shopping in MO probably have little interest in living in MO. But residents of both states cross state line regularly for shopping, dining, employment etc. This idea of people "wishing" they could afford to live in JoCo is total hogwash and only wishful thinking. Most people from MO that shop in places like grocers near state line or destination retail such as crate and barell etc are from a similar demographic as JoCo. It's not bus riders from Troost trying to use their food stamp vouchers and sight seeing how the other half lives.

That part of metro KC might have a state line running through it, but people cross it every day all day long as if it were just another street.

Get over yourself.
If taxes on food are lower on the Missouri side, and there is an article stating that Kansas taxes on food are higher and people in neighboring states are crossing state lines to avoid buying groceries in Kansas, it makes you wonder why KCMO residents are doing just the opposite - driving TO Kansas to buy groceries. Your resentment at my mentioning EBT is due to a chip on YOUR shoulder. I was merely saying that is the only thing that would make sense to me. And it may come as a surprise to you, but it's not only bus riders from Troost who use EBT. Bus riders couldn't even get to the stores I am talking about by bus.

If Kansas had lower taxes on food, would I drive across the state line to Missouri to buy groceries? HELL NO! That doesn't even make sense. So I'm puzzled why Missouri residents would do it - because they DO!

And there's Target and Walmart in Overland Park that are much more convenient for most of Leawood than the ones in Missouri. I'm kind of doubting Leawood residents shop at Missouri Target and Walmart "in droves" and also wondering how you would know anyway, since you live in Washington, DC. Do you have remote spy cameras to keep track of that sort of thing? LOL.

Last edited by luzianne; 01-19-2016 at 02:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas