Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 06:48 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,896 times

Advertisements

The summers don't bother me as much as the winters. Last year I think we only had a few days over 100 degrees, it was a really nice year weather wise, but that's uncommon. There are places with better and worse weather. Kansas's extreme weather days are bad, but most of the year it's fairly nice. Even this winter has been mild, normally by now I'm somewhat depressed because of the weather, but it hasn't really effected me this year, so far.

While I would love to live somewhere with better weather, there are other more important factors to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 07:40 PM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Perhaps. It depends on the year. I remember too many horrid summer seasons and dealt with heat exhaustion one year at 120F heat index readings. I'll pass on Kansas summer. Great Lakes and Ohio Valley regions are milder across the board with fewer extremes.
Totally understandable of course.

I was out today in 15degree weather and it wasn't bothering me much but for some they can't stand living anywhere that goes below 60 very often

Old 02-14-2016, 05:20 AM

4,141 posts, read 3,052,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
The summers don't bother me as much as the winters. Last year I think we only had a few days over 100 degrees, it was a really nice year weather wise, but that's uncommon. There are places with better and worse weather. Kansas's extreme weather days are bad, but most of the year it's fairly nice. Even this winter has been mild, normally by now I'm somewhat depressed because of the weather, but it hasn't really effected me this year, so far.

While I would love to live somewhere with better weather, there are other more important factors to consider.
Yes. Cost of living, crime rate, unemployment rate (People who are working are probably not out creating mischief). For me, a city of about 20,000 people is about right. Most of Kansas has less snow than Wooster, Ohio, which is always a good thing. Hays, Emporia, and Pittsburg all have universities that are not so large they dominate the city. This is a big plus.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:18 AM

302 posts, read 474,102 times
I have only been in Kansas since September, so I have not yet experienced Spring here. But coming from Colorado, it doesn't seem a whole lot different other than the humidity. Colorado was extremely dry, so it has been a bit of an adjustment. It is much easier to breath here because of it, and no pollution like in the Denver Metro area. It seems to be a bit windier here, but I love wind so it doesn't bother me.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:10 AM

25,959 posts, read 22,113,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Yes. Cost of living, crime rate, unemployment rate (People who are working are probably not out creating mischief). For me, a city of about 20,000 people is about right. Most of Kansas has less snow than Wooster, Ohio, which is always a good thing. Hays, Emporia, and Pittsburg all have universities that are not so large they dominate the city. This is a big plus.
Hays, Emporia and Pittsburg? I would avoid Emporia and Pittsburg as both are being overrun or have been overrun with illegals. You'll see more crime in those areas. I am not familiar with Hays but know it was much nicer than Pittsburg or Emporia years ago when I visited there.

Emporia was nicer 20 years ago when visiting. It, like Pittsburg has become very run down. We have a lot of houses that need to be torn out. A lot of hit-and-runs and also dog bites. They don't do a very good job on roads in town either. I have been to Pittsburg numerous times when living in SE KS..

As we know, all but the greater KC area, are not seeing job growth. Any new business in town is either fast food or retail. For every retail that opens, another has changed. A lot of the money goes to Mexico and other foreign countries on payday which takes away from the income paid actually supporting the town.

I guess it is obvious who I support for POTUS.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:15 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Hays, Emporia and Pittsburg? I would avoid Emporia and Pittsburg as both are being overrun or have been overrun with illegals. You'll see more crime in those areas. I am not familiar with Hays but know it was much nicer than Pittsburg or Emporia years ago when I visited there.

Emporia was nicer 20 years ago when visiting. It, like Pittsburg has become very run down. We have a lot of houses that need to be torn out. A lot of hit-and-runs and also dog bites. They don't do a very good job on roads in town either. I have been to Pittsburg numerous times when living in SE KS..

As we know, all but the greater KC area, are not seeing job growth. Any new business in town is either fast food or retail. For every retail that opens, another has changed. A lot of the money goes to Mexico and other foreign countries on payday which takes away from the income paid actually supporting the town.

Changes from smaller cities and towns have to come from within, which means stronger local leadership and initiative to create successful business models and businesses that function well in the 21st century economy. Depending on large companies and outside influences to save the day will not work well, and things will not markedly change for these places regardless of what POTUS is in the White House.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:45 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,896 times
Quote:

SEKS was already bad before illegal immigrants starting arriving, but there is some truth to what you say about immigrant employees sending paychecks home. I've never liked Emporia very much, I live about 35 minutes from Emporia, but seldom go there, maybe a couple times a year, but I've always thought it was somewhat run down. I drove from McPherson through Emporia a couple months ago, and I felt like the part of the city I drove through had improved, and the interchange onto I-35 is greatly improved. There are a lot of neat smaller towns around Emporia.

I'm a little partial, but my favorite part of Kansas is from McPherson and Salina East to KC. Most of that area is pretty nice in my opinion, lots of great small towns, lakes, flint hills, friendly people, etc. Salina and Emporia are probably the most run down towns/cities in that area, but in my opinion both have shown some decent improvements in the last decade.

Here you can see, for the whole of Kansas, most types of crime have reduced in the last couple decades, even considering the population increases.
Kansas Crime Rates 1960 - 2014

Actually crime is down almost 50% since 1990. If you look at Kansas relative to other states, we have really improved a lot.

Last, people are talking about happiness, so here's an interesting map (I think someone may have posted a link to this before). It's really interesting to me that the Great Plains region and the western part of the midwest are really happy compared to other rural regions of the US. Topeka is ranked 18th, actually I'm not really surprised, most people here seem pretty happy and friendly.
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 09-13-2018 at 05:40 AM..

Old 02-14-2016, 06:12 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times
Last, people are talking about happiness, so here's an interesting map (I think someone may have posted a link to this before). It's really interesting to me that the Great Plains region and the western part of the midwest are really happy compared to other rural regions of the US. Topeka is ranked 18th, actually I'm not really surprised, most people here seem pretty happy and friendly.

I'm happy you posted that link, Mattks. My wife and I are over in Dodge City, KS, and we're pretty happy over here. Hence, I was really interested ta see the list and what they base it on. Actually, I find most all of my workmates and neighbors in this small city to be kind and helpful people overall.

Old 02-20-2016, 06:14 AM

449 posts, read 1,394,012 times
Having spent years in the midwest I too find Kansas summers to be terribly hot and long. Winters are milder compared to Iowa and Omaha. Take your pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
"Mild"? No. You forgot "summer." Brutal doesn't begin to describe it.

Old 02-20-2016, 06:22 AM

449 posts, read 1,394,012 times
I graduated from Emporia State in the early 90s. The city was okay; had a large Hispanic community due to the beef processing plant. Got married years later and in 2006 took my wife to Emporia just to let her see where I spent four years of my life. I have to say neither one of us were impressed with both the city and the school. The marginal areas around the university declined further and were really dumpy. The city itself seemed to have declined a lot. The university too looked liked it was visually declining as well. I got the distinct impression the city and school were strapped for cash. If I was a parent taking my kid college shopping I would skip Emporia.

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas