U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 02:16 PM

4,675 posts, read 3,069,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
That's exactly why I don't like Denver. Basically the whole city is that way. There's the really expensive downtown and Boulder area, there's the slightly less expensive McMansion areas like Highlands ranch, and then there's whole big swaths that are kind of run down small old homes. Not that those are a problem, I'm sure Kansas has a lot of them, but I have a problem paying $300000 for a run down 3 bedroom 1960s home.

Thanks for the advice on areas though if indeed any of these positions come to fruition!
My brother has a house almost identical in Aurora to the one he had in Topeka, and it was almost double the price. I think the house in Topeka was $130,000 and the one in Aurora was $240,000. Both 3 bedroom, 2 bath, I think around 2000-2500 sq ft. Both in good/decent neighborhoods. The one in Aurora was a fixer upper, livable, but needed quite a few updates.

I don't know if I could live in Denver either, but I do see the appeal of living near the mountains and a major city.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 02:27 PM

22,243 posts, read 38,828,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
My brother has a house almost identical in Aurora to the one he had in Topeka, and it was almost double the price. I think the house in Topeka was $130,000 and the one in Aurora was $240,000. Both 3 bedroom, 2 bath, I think around 2000-2500 sq ft. Both in good/decent neighborhoods. The one in Aurora was a fixer upper, livable, but needed quite a few updates.

I don't know if I could live in Denver either, but I do see the appeal of living near the mountains and a major city.
Real estate is all about supply and demand in relation to the local economy and incomes in addition to desirable location. I don't think the Denver metro population explosion is sustainable in the least.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:42 PM

4,675 posts, read 3,069,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Real estate is all about supply and demand in relation to the local economy and incomes in addition to desirable location. I don't think the Denver metro population explosion is sustainable in the least.
I agree, I would worry the real estate market in Denver is going to be a bubble.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:41 AM

761 posts, read 1,048,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I know! Like I said, I don't have any offers yet, but I got a response for an interview one day after the application... For the population, it seems like there's a fair amount of opportunity, and with less people, there's less competition.

Eastern CO is this way too. There's nothing to block the wind and it just howls on through. I find it kind of annoying if you get those 30-40 mph gusts, it just

That's exactly why I don't like Denver. Basically the whole city is that way. There's the really expensive downtown and Boulder area, there's the slightly less expensive McMansion areas like Highlands ranch, and then there's whole big swaths that are kind of run down small old homes. Not that those are a problem, I'm sure Kansas has a lot of them, but I have a problem paying $300000 for a run down 3 bedroom 1960s home.

Thanks for the advice on areas though if indeed any of these positions come to fruition!
I much prefer Kansas City where there really isn't a legitimately bad suburb. Independence is a mixed bag, but nothing like the older Denver suburbs that are going through massive demographic shifts as the rich run to Cherry Creek, Lone Tree-Highlands Ranch, Boulder, and Broomfield. Most of the houses I looked at in Lone Tree aren't even anything special like some of the nicer ones in Boulder and Cherry Creek. My idea of a nice rich neighborhood are the homes you will find in Eastborough, Mission Hills, and Kirstie Alley's neighborhood at Clifton and Douglas (Wichita) in Kansas, and the mansions on Ward Parkway in Kansas City, Missouri. Solid and tastefully built older homes that have character. Every city has at least one street like that. For example, in Garden City, KS it's Center Street between Kansas and Spruce and Gillespie from Center to Second, and in Dodge City it's the few older areas of their country club that are surrounded by McMansions. I'm not against newer housing, but it can't be a cookie cutter subdivision where everything is brown and gray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
They changed the name of the mall in Aurora because of a murder a while back right? My brothers kids aren't very old yet, the oldest is 7, so their experiences with schools are limited. He is military so they only expect to be there a few years. I visited my brother last July and stayed in Aurora a couple days, I was surprised by the amount of diversity and there are some great restaurants, and being so close to Denver and the mountains is awesome, but I agree, Aurora itself isn't very nice.
Simon renovated it and rebranded it before the theatre shooting. There have been several murders there over the years. Simon actually faced legal action after a leasing agent was caught on tape saying that they wanted to make the mall undesirable to minorities. Simon no longer manages the mall though as it was spun off into another holdings company with West Ridge and Towne West. I see Simon renovating Aurora and West Ridge as a last ditch effort. Towne West was still doing fairly well at the time that both saw their renovations, but I see Towne West getting demolished and redeveloped with 15 years. Hopefully the new owner will do something while Dillard's and JCP are still willing to have a west location. Having Kmart as an out parcel and vacant Target and Venture stores across the street doesn't help Towne West with its image. In contract, Aurora is next to a nice big box center, and the dead mall that was nearby was demalled around the Target that anchored it and its nice.

I think the Northfield Stapleton area of Denver has the potential to be nice, but it's also adjacent to Commerce City and that's where most of the residents who bum out at The Shops At Northfield Stapleton are from. Every time we've gone the other shoppers are just rude and let their kids run around screaming, pulling stuff off of racks and shelves, don't throw trash in easily accessible trash receptacles, etc. It's basically the worst of the people you'd find hanging around the SW 37th Street Walmart in Topeka. The Macy's there USED to have racially diverse mannequins which was really awesome, but the JCPenney store there is awful. Half the employees didn't speak english when we went, or if they did they didn't want to let us know. We had to find a manager to help us. If we wanted that kind of service we could have saved time money and gas by shopping in Liberal instead of taking a vacation. The best service I've ever received in the Denver was at Flat Irons Mall in Broomfield. It was a really slow evening (like we pretty much had the giant place to ourselves and it was two days after Christmas) so a lot of the stores we went into were really desperate to make a nice sale and we were treated very well. A lot of them were college students who needed the money to pay rent. Shopping at Park Meadows in Lone Tree was just horrid. It was packed to the brim and the shoppers and employees all had their noes turned up at you, which is something that we somehow avoided at Cherry Creek Mall, which was also low traffic when we went.

Last edited by empires228; 05-01-2016 at 11:57 AM..

Old 05-01-2016, 02:15 PM

59,334 posts, read 46,378,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Yep. And when it bubbles we can all start threads about their economy dying and all the job losses.

I really wish some of you were:

a) More independent voters
b) Had lived in a very republican and a very democratically targeted location. (Me, Chicago and KS)

You'd really be able to see through the rank political attacks that are constantly directed.

The sad part is you can REALLY tell who gets a steady diet of info from far left and right wing media.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:56 PM

22,243 posts, read 38,828,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yep. And when it bubbles we can all start threads about their economy dying and all the job losses.

I really wish some of you were:

a) More independent voters
b) Had lived in a very republican and a very democratically targeted location. (Me, Chicago and KS)

You'd really be able to see through the rank political attacks that are constantly directed.

The sad part is you can REALLY tell who gets a steady diet of info from far left and right wing media.
The issue of voter apathy and complacency tends to become more ingrained and intense when extremes take over from either the right or left wing. I tend to personally prefer high quality of life places that have good employment prospects in my specialized career field.

Old 05-07-2016, 08:31 AM

44 posts, read 86,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
2nd fastest growing economy? How many tower cranes are up in Kansas right now? Is there even one?
There's tons of them all over the state!! Do you not pay attention to all the new grain elevators going up?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas