Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 06:52 PM

179 posts, read 248,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Kansas is a jackpot for job postings that I can apply to.
I just accepted a job offer in Garden City, out in west Kansas, in which I'm getting a raise compared to what I make in Tampa. For such a small city, they seemed to have a happening little economy out there. I don't know much about Kansas' economy in general just yet, but I am as shocked as anyone that of all the jobs I applied to, it was this one in a city I'd never heard of before that offered me the most money.

I'm moving there next week. So far, I love Kansas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 10:06 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,487,028 times
I just accepted a job offer in Garden City, out in west Kansas, in which I'm getting a raise compared to what I make in Tampa. For such a small city, they seemed to have a happening little economy out there. I don't know much about Kansas' economy in general just yet, but I am as shocked as anyone that of all the jobs I applied to, it was this one in a city I'd never heard of before that offered me the most money.

Welcome to SW Kansas! I think you'll love it. My wife and I are enjoying our new life in Dodge City. We've only been here since July 31, 2015. It's not a bad life out here. One thing you'll have to get used to is a fairly windy existence. Dodge City, KS, is the windiest city on average in the U.S. The daily average is 14.99 mph.

Old 04-29-2016, 05:29 AM

767 posts, read 1,321,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post

Welcome to SW Kansas! I think you'll love it. My wife and I are enjoying our new life in Dodge City. We've only been here since July 31, 2015. It's not a bad life out here. One thing you'll have to get used to is a fairly windy existence. Dodge City, KS, is the windiest city on average in the U.S. The daily average is 14.99 mph.
He's not joking either. There is a "town" (a house and a grain elevator) between Dodge City and Cimarron where there are actually signs warning you to watch out for wind currents.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:40 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,895,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Kansas is a jackpot for job postings that I can apply to. I just found out today lol. For a pretty small population base, they seem to have a decent amount of entry level positions in Econ. A fair amount of them are were government or utilities too. Colorado Springs and Denver have a lot of jobs, but to find good entry level ones is pretty hard. They all want experience.

Plus Kansas even has affordable housing!!! According to Zillow, Denver has approx 8000 homes for sale and the Topeka area has 2000 homes. This is pretty sad (for a buyer at least) seeing as Denver is 10x larger.
My brother moved to Aurora last year and said the housing market there is crazy. He said most homes only last a week on the market before being sold. He looked at 6 houses and all 6, including the one he bought sold in less then 2 weeks. One they really liked sold for $5K more then the asking price, but they still ended up getting a decent deal on a different house.

Topeka is all about location, stick to the west or north part of town if you want to sell a house quickly. East Topeka kind of sucks, but most of everything West of McVicar is good. Lake Shawnee is good on the SE side of town. From Washburn to California is all pretty crappy. Just a few good neighborhoods in that area.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:38 AM

179 posts, read 248,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post

Thank you. So is that considered windy, or breezy? It seems like a small number, but in terms of wind speed that might be a substantial wind. The day I went out there to visit there wasn't much of a breeze, to be honest. But that was one day.

I could use a little breeze in my life, actually, so that might be pleasant!

Old 04-29-2016, 10:05 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,487,028 times
14.99 is pretty breezy. It is very situational, though, if you know what I mean. It's not a big deal, overall. You'll see what I mean when you get here.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:44 AM

767 posts, read 1,321,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
My brother moved to Aurora last year and said the housing market there is crazy. He said most homes only last a week on the market before being sold. He looked at 6 houses and all 6, including the one he bought sold in less then 2 weeks. One they really liked sold for $5K more then the asking price, but they still ended up getting a decent deal on a different house.

Topeka is all about location, stick to the west or north part of town if you want to sell a house quickly. East Topeka kind of sucks, but most of everything West of McVicar is good. Lake Shawnee is good on the SE side of town. From Washburn to California is all pretty crappy. Just a few good neighborhoods in that area.
and the thing is... Aurora isn't even that nice. I wouldn't send my kids to the vast majority of public schools there after doing some research (and it helps knowing people from Aurora though college), and in my personal experiences, the mall there is really hit or miss, worse so than West Ridge in Topeka. Either you'll have a great time, or you will watch the police show up to break up a fight or attempted murder.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
and the thing is... Aurora isn't even that nice. I wouldn't send my kids to the vast majority of public schools there after doing some research (and it helps knowing people from Aurora though college), and in my personal experiences, the mall there is really hit or miss, worse so than West Ridge in Topeka. Either you'll have a great time, or you will watch the police show up to break up a fight or attempted murder.
They changed the name of the mall in Aurora because of a murder a while back right? My brothers kids aren't very old yet, the oldest is 7, so their experiences with schools are limited. He is military so they only expect to be there a few years. I visited my brother last July and stayed in Aurora a couple days, I was surprised by the amount of diversity and there are some great restaurants, and being so close to Denver and the mountains is awesome, but I agree, Aurora itself isn't very nice.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyYoungMan View Post
Thank you. So is that considered windy, or breezy? It seems like a small number, but in terms of wind speed that might be a substantial wind. The day I went out there to visit there wasn't much of a breeze, to be honest. But that was one day.

Windy during the hot summer months isn't bad, but during the winter it can suck. It can make a small snow seem like a blizzard, plus the cold air zipping around sucks.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:08 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,122,453 times
Quote:

I know! Like I said, I don't have any offers yet, but I got a response for an interview one day after the application... For the population, it seems like there's a fair amount of opportunity, and with less people, there's less competition.
Quote:

Eastern CO is this way too. There's nothing to block the wind and it just howls on through. I find it kind of annoying if you get those 30-40 mph gusts, it just

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
That's exactly why I don't like Denver. Basically the whole city is that way. There's the really expensive downtown and Boulder area, there's the slightly less expensive McMansion areas like Highlands ranch, and then there's whole big swaths that are kind of run down small old homes. Not that those are a problem, I'm sure Kansas has a lot of them, but I have a problem paying $300000 for a run down 3 bedroom 1960s home.

Thanks for the advice on areas though if indeed any of these positions come to fruition!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas