Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 02:00 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times

Advertisements

I get that most laws like this are "left over" from a different time and are usually still there just because that's how it's always been. But I feel like there is someone benefiting from it, especially when people go to all the trouble to either take it to a vote or get the powers to be to vote on it. It seems like it's just more work to put limits on things but like I said, someone, somewhere wants these laws kept in place and for more than nostalgic reasons...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2016, 12:52 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Plains Guy View Post
Yeah this move came fast, and I apparently missed this one point in my research. I doubt it would have influenced my decision to take the job and move here, but I pretty much can't stand religious laws. I believe that the biggest downfall to our government is the encroachment of religion upon the state. I'm also the first person on the front lines when freedom of religion is being encroached upon. But the merging of church and state is fundamentally in opposition to our government, and I see it as the biggest enemy our constitution has.

Yep, that's how I feel. So even though I have no desire to change anything else about my new home, I am hereby signing on to a mission of having this religious law revoked. Now, where can I find a lobbyist...
As much as I think Blue Laws are stupid and as much as I think many cities lose money by not allowing liquor to be sold period I think it is a little strong to say the biggest problem is encroachment of religion on states. Remember these are laws that have been part of some peoples culture for centuries. Just like the states where you can buy booze at state run stores. Many of these laws are slowly being pushed out. I do agree, I don't want government in my business unless there a good reason. And the blue laws are not a reason.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:22 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,654,812 times
Google Blue Laws.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:38 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,606,216 times
Back in the day, flying out of Denver you couldn't be served a drink on an airplane while flying over Kansas. So yes, they have certainly had some strict liquor laws in Kansas.

Old 05-30-2016, 04:28 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Now that you are aware of it, just make sure to get to the store on Saturday. You could move here and buy booze on Sunday's, and also pot. Since we abolished the state stores in 2012, most every store, including gas stations sell booze, but the prices went up about 15%.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:11 PM

179 posts, read 248,613 times
It's just the principle of the whole thing. I don't like laws that don't make sense. I would care less if it were also illegal to sell alcohol in bars on Sunday. But since that's not the case, it underscores the uselessness of the Sunday law. So now I have to try to get this law changed.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:34 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Plains Guy View Post
It's just the principle of the whole thing. I don't like laws that don't make sense. I would care less if it were also illegal to sell alcohol in bars on Sunday. But since that's not the case, it underscores the uselessness of the Sunday law.
Those laws serve the needs of the low self esteem religious control freaks who seek to impose their will on everyone who isn't one of them.

Quote:
So now I have to try to get this law changed.
Good luck.

Kansas is trying real hard to become Oklahoma, which has now surpassed S Carolina in political psychosis.

Old 06-01-2016, 01:55 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,682 times
Even Ephraim Wisconsin just voted to repeal it's "Dry Town" status. Not only Sundays, but NO booze sold nor served in the town!! That's definitely non-Wisconsin-like. It's about time they came to.

Old 07-09-2016, 12:08 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,138,480 times
Not to mention, with no Sunday sales, prop taxes, rent, insurance stay the same.

Old 07-09-2016, 12:15 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Even Ephraim Wisconsin just voted to repeal it's "Dry Town" status. Not only Sundays, but NO booze sold nor served in the town!! That's definitely non-Wisconsin-like. It's about time they came to.
It won't be long before there are laws allowing Sunday sales everywhere and shortly after, no more dry counties of cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas