Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 05:49 PM

179 posts, read 248,413 times

Advertisements

Well I just learned one downside to the new town I live in, after only 3 days of being here... I can't buy package beer on Sundays. I wasn't expecting that. I lived in Atlanta a decade ago and had to deal with it then, too, but my place of employment had kegs on tap so it never directly affected me. This time, I don't work at a restaurant, so I'm not happy at the moment.

Anyway, what is the reasoning for this dumb law that so many municipalities have on the books? Can someone show me the statistics that explain why alcohol is safe to be sold on the other six days, but on Sundays it must be banned?

My first thought is that it's religious, somehow, because that's what religion does, is creep into everyone's lives and affect even secular people. But then, why is it okay for me to go down the road to the local steak house and order a beer at the bar? Which leads me to how it can't have anything to do with an increased number of DUIs on Sunday, because I can obviously drive to the steak house, get loaded, and then drive home drunk.

So, can anyone tell me what justification is used for this law? Or is it, as I suspect, purely random and nonsensical?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 05:52 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,052 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_law

Kansas's alcohol laws are among the strictest in the United States. Kansas prohibited all alcohol from 1881 to 1948, and continued to prohibit on-premises sales of alcohol from 1949 to 1987. Sunday sales only have been allowed since 2005. Today, 29 counties still do not permit the on-premises sale of alcohol. 59 counties require a business to receive at least 30% of revenue from food sales to allow on-premises sale of alcohol. Only 17 counties allow general on-premises sales. Not all communities which allow off-premises sales allow sales on Sunday. Sales are prohibited on Christmas and Easter. The only alcoholic beverage which grocery stores and gas stations may sell is beer with no more than 3.2% alcohol by weight. Other liquor sales only are allowed at state-licensed retail liquor stores. Kansas has comprehensive open container laws for public places and vehicles, public intoxication laws, and requirements for prospective on-premises or off-premises licensees.

These restrictions are relics of Prohibition and Blue Laws, which were designed to keep Sundays a holy day. Even after Prohibition ended, there were deals struck with temperance groups to supposedly keep people safe (and at church), which is why many states went to a state store system or at least state control of wholesale alcohol sales.

Old 05-08-2016, 05:53 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_laws_of_Kansas

Old 05-08-2016, 10:08 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,659,983 times
Indiana does not allow carry-out alcohol sales on Sunday, but bars and stadiums/arenas are allowed to sell it.

I'm sure the reason was originally religious, but now it is because the liquor store lobby continues to buy off legislators and defeat legislation that would allow sales on Sunday. The liquor stores currently have a free day off, Sunday, with no payroll, while the grocery stores that already sell alcohol the other six days a week remain open on Sunday to sell groceries.

The liquor stores have it made.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:14 AM

Thanks for the replies. So I guess it is inspired by religion after all. Interesting. I mean, if the businesses themselves are getting a good deal then I can see how they wouldn't want it to change. Good for them. Sucks for those of us who forget what day of the week it is though, or are bad at planning ahead, lol.

I did just find out that I could drive an hour to Colorado and buy beer on Sundays there, so I have a fall back plan. Hell, when I lived in Atlanta, I knew people who would drive over 4 hours round trip to go to Tennessee when they forgot to buy beer on Saturday.

It just seems like a silly law to me, that's all. It's time for me to finally try my hand at home brewing, I guess.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:10 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Lightbulb No alcohol sales on Sunday... WTF is the reason for that?

Religious control freaks.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:07 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,886,587 times
The only logical explanation on why no alcohol on Sundays is that "small liquor store-owners need to have a day off too". At least that was the biggest argument in Massachusetts, when there was a debate whether to allow sales on Sunday or not.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:49 AM

Why couldn't small store-owners just close their store voluntarily on Sundays then? Why does it need to be legislated and mandated? I still just don't get it, if that's the reasoning. Unless they are saying, "If I close my store for a day then all the other liquor stores have to, too." Which, of course, is a crappy mindset.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:02 AM

4,326 posts, read 1,260,756 times
I like Nevada's approach, they sell alcohol 24/7.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:11 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Plains Guy View Post
Thanks for the replies. So I guess it is inspired by religion after all. Interesting. I mean, if the businesses themselves are getting a good deal then I can see how they wouldn't want it to change. Good for them. Sucks for those of us who forget what day of the week it is though, or are bad at planning ahead, lol.

I did just find out that I could drive an hour to Colorado and buy beer on Sundays there, so I have a fall back plan. Hell, when I lived in Atlanta, I knew people who would drive over 4 hours round trip to go to Tennessee when they forgot to buy beer on Saturday.

It just seems like a silly law to me, that's all. It's time for me to finally try my hand at home brewing, I guess.
Have you considered buying on Satuday ? Drive an hour,thats about 120 miles round trip. Do you only buy groceries when you are hungry?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas