Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2016, 02:43 PM

23 posts, read 32,451 times

Advertisements

I'm a new and inexperience driver. I'm terrified of highways I've never been on one. Any times that are better to drive where there isn't traffic? Thank you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 04:50 PM

767 posts, read 1,321,419 times
Avoid going though KC and Topeka around 6-8 AM as traffic on the turnpike is crazy. I've been stuck in 85-90 MPH heavy traffic on the turnpike more than once. I amagine 4-6pm isn't stellar either. A lot of people commute back and forth between KCMO, Topeka, Lawrence, Leavenworth, and Johnson County. I had no idea that a large amount of people in the Topeka area are willing to commute to KC for work. Most of the people I know who work in Topeka live in Lawrence.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:22 PM

Default Thanks!

That's very helpful for me. I will plan my trip accordingly.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:39 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheistlady View Post
I'm a new and inexperience driver. I'm terrified of highways I've never been on one. Any times that are better to drive where there isn't traffic? Thank you?
Just avoid rush hours around larger metro areas.

Also, don't worry about the interstate, they've typically very simple relative to in-town driving.

Couple pointers.

Don't drive in the passing lane slowly for any real period of time. You will get tailgated mercilessly.
If you find yourself in the passing lane going around say...a slow semi....you won't get ticketed and pistol whipped for going 5 mph faster than the semi and getting out of the fast lane.
Don't try to merge into 75mph traffic going 40mph, get up to speed you can slow down easier than speed up.
If you are in the slow lane and someone is merging, try to change lanes to let them in if you can.
Otherwise, judge their speed and give them space to merge.

Enjoy your trip and have fun.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:54 AM

25 posts, read 25,591 times
Yes, I would avoid the rush hour in the morning and the afternoon. If there are not sports on over the weekend, then the highways always seem to have more traffic .

Old 05-20-2016, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Just avoid rush hours around larger metro areas.

Also, don't worry about the interstate, they've typically very simple relative to in-town driving.

Couple pointers.

Don't drive in the passing lane slowly for any real period of time. You will get tailgated mercilessly.
If you find yourself in the passing lane going around say...a slow semi....you won't get ticketed and pistol whipped for going 5 mph faster than the semi and getting out of the fast lane.
Don't try to merge into 75mph traffic going 40mph, get up to speed you can slow down easier than speed up.
If you are in the slow lane and someone is merging, try to change lanes to let them in if you can.

Enjoy your trip and have fun.
Great tips and pointers! Thanks so much for responding with such detail. This helps me out a lot!

Old 05-20-2016, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeKansasGirl View Post
Yes, I would avoid the rush hour in the morning and the afternoon. If there are not sports on over the weekend, then the highways always seem to have more traffic .
Thank you! I'll for sure plan to travel during the weekday.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:41 AM

12,953 posts, read 13,665,225 times
I think St. Louis will be by far the biggest challenge all the way to Wheeling. Kansas city is not so bad comparatively.

Old 05-21-2016, 05:15 AM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
For us, St. Louis and cities like that are early Sunday morning. It only took one time getting caught in rush hour to not do that again. We have also routed around bigger cities which is fairly easy to do.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:19 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times

This is taught in the driver's ed class and in the state driver's guide when you're learning how to drive. When you're in the right lane and cars are speeding up to merge into your lane, you can do two things. Neither of them are scary. You can slow down so they can get into your lane ahead of you (I know - you'll have to swallow your pride and just let them in) or you can speed up so they can nestle in behind you. Remember, if you let them in in front of you you'll have to keep an eye on them - some people will merge in and then do the unthinkable...slow down!

If they slow down then check your mirrors to go into the next lane to your left. Once you see it's clear then punch your accelerator and go as fast as you can. Being on a crowded freeway will really teach you how to drive on busy expressways. The best way to learn is to just jump in there and do it! Go for it - get practice at it and keep practicing. It will go better for you if you learn crowded, obnoxious expressway driving. You'll learn how it's done and you'll gain confidence. Once you learn how it'll be like riding a bike - you'll never forget again! I hope it goes well for you!

Last edited by elkotronics; 05-21-2016 at 10:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas