U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2008, 09:36 AM

12 posts, read 110,281 times

Advertisements

What is life like in this community and region in general. Possible relocation from small town in east tennesseee? How are the schools , open to newcomers, and cost of living? Mostly conservative and family values, I assume?
Is it possible to find small farms and/or 10 acres for a home with horses?
Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 10:35 PM

19 posts, read 83,578 times
I live in Wichita, but I make trips to McPherson several times a month for my job. It's about the closest thing I've seen to a "perfect small-town America" kind of town. People are generous and warm-hearted, primarily middle class. I've heard housing is reasonable. No regrets from families raising children there at all. Job development is faster than in nearby (and larger) town of Hutchinson. Only has a Wal-Mart in terms of big-box stores, but of course, has other alternatives. Conveniently set next to Interstate 135 makes a nonstop trip to Salina under an hour, or Wichita just over an hour.

Unfortunately, I'm not a resident. I just go by what McPhersonians have said to me. I think it's a very nice town. I was astonished the first time I had to go there. Large older houses with charm, gorgeous during autumn, kids actually playing outside, takes five minutes at most to get to where you need, only found one run-down area which was geographically very small and on the edge of town.

In terms of land, I have no idea. Sorry.

I hope this helps. I also hope an actual resident can respond.

Last edited by bjmkw23580; 02-28-2008 at 10:47 PM..

Old 02-29-2008, 07:22 AM

12 posts, read 110,281 times
Default Thanks for your reply

THis was very helpful. Thank you!

Old 03-10-2008, 08:43 AM

15 posts, read 56,211 times
I grew up in mini-Mac, and what bjmkw23580 posted was correct. It's a safe place to raise a family, the economy is quite stable, real estate prices are reasonable, and homes in the country with ten acres or more can be found. Most people desiring a country homestead tend to reside in the area between McPherson and Canton-Galva, or McPherson and Marquette. I was a really good (honors) student in school and the curriculum devised for students like me kept my peer group engaged in school from the elementary through the high school level. When you want to go shopping, Salina is a twenty-five minute drive to the north and has a small selection of retail stores to choose from, (Lowe's, Target, Walmart, and a future Kohl's) or, should you choose to drive south, Hutchinson is a twenty minute drive and offers both a Home Depot and Lowes. Williams-Sonoma, Linens and Things and stores of that nature won't be found in the area, you'll have to drive forty-five minutes south to Wichita.

I didn't mind growing up in Mac, it's a great place where kids can be kids, but as an adult it can be considered boring. There are numerous churches to choose from (no temple) but the conservativeness isn't of the us-versus-them variety. If you nod your head at people you encounter on country roads, and say hello to those you meet in town, you'll do just fine. And oh-so-important: Learn to love basketball - McPherson is CRAZY about the sport!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas