Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 02:44 PM

25,630 posts, read 21,800,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweens65 View Post
Thanks again for all the input! We plan on driving out at the end of April too check out a few areas
My husband grew up in JC. I lived there for some time and Manhattan for a couple of years. I also lived in Salina, Fort Scott, Emporia and Wilson, KS.

You'll want to actually look at the houses. SE KS is good for gardening, unless there is a drought. Also, when I worked on Fort Riley, some out in the country with wells had to shower on post because of a lack of rain. Smaller towns can have higher taxes since fewer carry the burden, make sure you look at the taxes involved with both your vehicles and real estate if you decide to buy something. If you buy a house, be prepared for it to take some time before it sells, learn which areas have houses on the market that have been there for some time. It could be 2, 3, 4 or more years to get a sale.

Jobs will be fairly difficult to find. I would not come without a job. https://www.kansasworks.com/ada/r/

None of the towns here are Mayberry. Poverty can be high which brings another set of issues. We have crime, so check each area carefully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 01:05 AM

767 posts, read 1,310,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweens65 View Post
Thanks again for all the input! We plan on driving out at the end of April too check out a few areas
I'd hate to tell anyone to ever ignore a post, but please ignore the one that's above this one (the post of yours that I'm quoting.) Some people will never be happy no matter where they live and create fake news and alternative facts to get attention.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:34 AM

4 posts, read 7,146 times
We plan on stopping in Manhattan and Junction City, and we noticed some cheap properties in Wakefield. It's hard to explain the vast difference in cost compared to the region I'm living in, the ability to buy a home for under 300,000 is gone. The only place you'll ever find that is in run-down inner cities along the coast here (places that are well past their whaling heyday) With the amount saved we could actually rent a place and have enough money for rent for a whole year and then some. I do understand the wages and cost of living is vastly different. In 2011 when I was in Kansas I was buying cartons of cigarettes (terrible habit, I know) for 40 dollars, here in Massachusetts a carton is at a minimum $98.
If anybody has any info on Wakefield besides just the basics I could find online that would be helpful, or even small towns in the area. We would more then likely be getting jobs in Junction City. My girlfriend liked a house up in Concordia, but from what I read, it's having alot of problems? I would ideally like to become a police officer of a small town at some point in the future, I know that might be hard in small, tight knit communities. But I have seem quite a few openings.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
I'd hate to tell anyone to ever ignore a post, but please ignore the one that's above this one (the post of yours that I'm quoting.) Some people will never be happy no matter where they live and create fake news and alternative facts to get attention.
You live in Hays. I have lived in Wilson, Salina, Manhattan, Junction City, Emporia and Fort Scott. I grew up east of the Mississippi River, so have more of an idea what people are used to on that side. It is a totally different world! I would avoid the towns with higher poverty rates, since theft tends to thrive in those areas, as well as, illegal drugs.

What people don't realize is how limited everything is when you go for lower cost of living. Everything is "lesser".

There is a "culture shock" associated with coming into KS that natives are not aware of.

Looking for a job, one that doesn't lay off regularly will be a challenge. Most of the jobs listed will be ones that turnover frequently.

Jobs: https://www.kansasworks.com/ada/r/

//www.city-data.com/city/Kansas.html you can find crime rates and other info.

Both the lower cost housing in Junction City and Manhattan will be located in areas where crime is the highest. Smaller towns tend to have the less of concentrated areas with the higher crime. Theft is a problem everywhere. The days of leaving things unlocked have passed even in the smallest of towns.

Wakefield is nice, some people like it, the only issue would be the long drive into town for work and shopping.

Old 03-06-2017, 01:38 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,867,274 times
I believe the highway patrol is currently hiring. Getting a job as a police officer might not be as difficult as you think, assuming you are physically fit and don't have a record. I have 2 friends who are police officers in Kansas. One in Topeka and another in a suburb outside Wichita. Most of their jobs are dealing with domestic disputes, thefts, and small drug offenses. Murders are quite rare in most small towns and even in the larger towns. Topeka, Lawrence, Manhattan, and Junction City normally have less then 15 murders a year combined. Crime rates in this area are below the national average with the exception of parts of Topeka. The other towns in the area have low crime rates. Just be smart about where you live. Growing up and even today I've never locked my car and sometimes I don't lock the front door on my house. It's all relevant to your neighborhood and that's always been true.

Junction City can be rough because it has such a transient military population. But they do have a few perks. There are some really great Korean restaurants there, better then KC.

I can't comment on Wakefield, but Concordia is quite a drive from Manhattan and it's not the best town. There are nice parts to Concordia, but it's losing population like many towns like it. I'd stick closer to Manhattan personally. Manhattan is one of my favorite towns in the state and it's improving rapidly, but it's pricey relative to most of Kansas.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:09 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,819,122 times
I love Lawrence but it's fairly expensive as far as KS cost of living is concerned. Depends on what you are used to. We moved from AK where everything was gold plated so Lawrence's bronze plating seemed cheap to me. There are help wanted signs everywhere around here.

I think I'd buy a small/cheap RV, hippie van or travel trailer and spend some time in each community that you like after traveling around a bit. Personally I'd also look at eastern Nebraska too. Some nice places there as well.

Good luck.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:08 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,867,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
I love Lawrence but it's fairly expensive as far as KS cost of living is concerned. Depends on what you are used to. We moved from AK where everything was gold plated so Lawrence's bronze plating seemed cheap to me. There are help wanted signs everywhere around here.

I think I'd buy a small/cheap RV, hippie van or travel trailer and spend some time in each community that you like after traveling around a bit. Personally I'd also look at eastern Nebraska too. Some nice places there as well.

Good luck.
Getting a RV might be a good idea to start. I'd do some research on what state to register it, I could be wrong, but I think in Kansas one has to pay property taxes on RVs.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Getting a RV might be a good idea to start. I'd do some research on what state to register it, I could be wrong, but I think in Kansas one has to pay property taxes on RVs.
You have to pay personal property tax on an RV in KS along with the registration fee. It is quite a bite compared to other states, especially MO.

Old 03-10-2017, 12:45 AM

6,778 posts, read 11,414,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
You have to pay personal property tax on an RV in KS along with the registration fee. It is quite a bite compared to other states, especially MO.
Missouri personal property tax is no picnic either. Of course, it all depends on the local tax rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas