Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 09:24 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,895,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
My eyes tell me that the group labeled "millenials" is quite fat, and unlabeled? 12-17 years olds are even fatter. And just wait until slowing metabolism and middle life crisis of one kind or another will inevitably boost their bmi further. Local foods in one elevator KS towns that's just some imagination you have over there.
Are we looking at the same information? There is a 20%+ difference in obesity between the age groups. 45-64 year olds are 36.4% obese. Whereas 10-17 is just under 15%. There is no 12-17 age group. Millennials are 19.8% to 32%.

Most Kansas don't live in those small towns. The majority of Kansas's live in larger towns/cities or within driving distance of a larger city. And yes, the "locally" source restaurants are even making it out to the rural areas. I live in western Shawnee county and there are 2 restaurants that source food locally out here in small towns. They are both the only restaurants in their towns. In another decade those types of restaurants will be everywhere.

Most data shows obesity rates peaking for the population as a whole with younger generations obesity rates declining. You'd have to be living in a hole not to see our country is changing in this regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 01:08 PM

767 posts, read 1,321,419 times
I thought there was another recent report that says that Kansas was the state that had the largest increase in obesity in the country.

Old 09-03-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
I thought there was another recent report that says that Kansas was the state that had the largest increase in obesity in the country.
If you look at the chart on one of my links, it shows the obesity growth state by state. Kansas has seen some large increases in obesity in the last couple decades. So you are probably right. But the last few years, obesity has been plateauing nationally, especially with the younger generations.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:27 PM

78,338 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
You're right. The OP likely violated the forum rules that only negative partisan commentary about the state is allowed.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:04 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,756 times
I picked up a free newspaper when leaving the grocery store yesterday. It is called "Health and Wellness Magazine" and is is the September issue. It says that 1 in 3 children and teens age 2 to 19 are considered overweight or obese. Also says that 96% of elementary schools offer no physical education classes. 7 hours is the amount of time kids spend in front of TV or computer screens daily. It notes the Kansas child obesity rate is 30.2% and the adult obesity rate is 30%. It notes Kansas has the 27th highest childhood obesity rate in the U.S. Kansas is the 19th obese state for adults.

I think it would help the situation tremendously if the elementary schools would require PE class for all into high school. Would also help if the schools would refrain from providing computers to the kids. They could provide access in the classroom setting only at an older age. It is interested that they give the kids computers at about the same age when the end recess.

Seems like the Kansas Board of Education not work or consult with the Kansas Department of Health and Environment at all on this. There is no unified strategy.

Old 09-10-2017, 05:11 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Structured, disciplined and healthy eating-habits should be taught to kids, by their parent, from a very young age.

Guess what, apple-juice is junk, ditto for all the other empty-calorie junk your kids eat/drink.

Old 09-10-2017, 06:03 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Here's more on the study https://stateofobesity.org/adult-obesity/

And yes, it appears the data was collected through telephone surveys https://stateofobesity.org/methodology/

Old 09-10-2017, 07:05 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Structured, disciplined and healthy eating-habits should be taught to kids, by their parent, from a very young age.

Guess what, apple-juice is junk, ditto for all the other empty-calorie junk your kids eat/drink.
Here is your typical school lunch menu.

corn dogs
burritos
pizza
hamburgers
Manwich
Macaroni and cheese
Hot dogs
Chicken rings

Old 09-10-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post

corn dogs
burritos
pizza
hamburgers
Manwich
Macaroni and cheese
Hot dogs
Chicken rings
Don't forget the chocolate milk.

School lunches are exactly the same as when I was in school 15-20 years ago. They keep talking about making the meals healthier and nothing ever happens. They could at least experiment with some different ideas.

Anthony Bourdain once did a short segment on French school lunches in one of his episodes. Once a week each class is required to cook lunch for the rest of the school (with cook supervision of course), it acts as a class period. They make soups, noodles dishes, and a few other things. I thought it was a great idea.

Is a chicken ring similar to an onion ring?

Old 09-10-2017, 07:23 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post

corn dogs
burritos
pizza
hamburgers
Manwich
Macaroni and cheese
Hot dogs
Chicken rings
All low quality processed Sysco stuff usually with modern wheat. What a travesty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas