Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2017, 04:18 PM

54 posts, read 119,786 times

Advertisements

My mom and I are visiting in Kansas right now because we are considering moving there. She wants to move to Madison or somewhere in the Emporia area. Now that I've actually arrived in Kansas, I am considering the Topeka area. I am considering moving by myself at some point to a town a little closer to Topeka. What are some good towns where I could get a cheap apartment and where crime is low? Don't want to live right outside the city, but maybe half an hour away. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 05:06 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,896 times
Burlingame, Carbondale, Osage City, St Mary's, Marysville, Auburn, Dover, and Eskridge are good places to start searching. Around Lake Perry might be neat, not sure about the cost.

Most small towns around here have low crime and that's mostly petty theft. Topeka is about average when it comes to crime and most of that crime is centered downtown or on the east side of town. This year has been an anomaly and we've had a lot of murders, but crime as a whole is decreasing.

Shawnee County is growing slowly, so if you ever decide to put down roots and buy a place or some land, the chances of your property increasing in value is good. The same is not true in many rural counties. I own an acre about 20 minutes outside of Topeka. It's a good area. The Forbes Field area is also an area to avoid. There are lots of homes and apartments for rent in that area on Craigslist and it's an awful area.

Old 09-10-2017, 04:55 PM

54 posts, read 119,786 times
Ok thanks. Can. Anyone recommend any specific apartment complexes that are safe but still in the cheap range?

Old 09-11-2017, 03:24 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
Smaller cities really don't have "apartment complexes" in the sense that larger cities do. Rentals are tough to come by in smaller cities. Some of the towns mentioned are very small, like Eskridge, population 534. I've been to Osage City, population almost 3,000.

Are you planning to drive into Topeka to work? Wouldn't be much choice as nearly everything just outside of Topeka is a "bedroom community". There is basically nothing of substance between Emporia and Topeka when it comes to a town with services and/or jobs.

Old 09-11-2017, 04:36 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cblueberry1 View Post
Ok thanks. Can. Anyone recommend any specific apartment complexes that are safe but still in the cheap range?
You're best bet is to drive around the towns and hope you see "for rent" signs. You may find something with a google search, Craigslist, or Facebook marketplace. None of those towns have real apartment complexes, but most of them will have some small rental buildings.

Actually there may be an apartment complex near St Mary's. You will have to search.

You should be able to find a 1 bedroom apartment for $300-350/month in any of those places. As you drive around the towns looking for rentals, make sure you take in the towns. Some will have next to nothing and some will have a grocery store, gas station, and a restaurant or 2. Most of them have post offices.

Old 09-11-2017, 04:48 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
When looking in the towns, many "apartments" will be a house divided into 2 or more units. If you are outgoing, you could try going into the shops/stores/etc. and asking if anyone there knows of an apartment for rent. This would also give you a "feel" of the atmosphere of the town. In the small towns, people know the score on where to live or not most of the time!

Old 09-11-2017, 05:41 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,199,941 times
Holton or Valley Falls may be good options. Holton likely has apartment units. Use Craigslist and search in housing on the town names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas