Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2018, 06:19 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,119,478 times

Advertisements

Did anyone watch the first episode of this show which aired last night? I just watched it and wondered if anyone else did, what they thought of it? I'm really interested in any parents who's children go to the high school featured in this show, what their thoughts are. I wonder if anyone else were shocked to see what goes on in schools now a days. The kids behavior is appalling and the disrespect is horrifying. This is not just a problem at this one school, but nation wide. The cell phone problem in schools is ridiculous. It's amazing how we ever got through school without them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygVDaNhZUHQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 06:29 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,589,507 times
I have two episodes recorded. One might be the set up (there were two options to record). I just started watching it at lunch time and then had to stop - but I am really looking forward to this series.

I hope that it will inspire some changes somehow . . . my theory is that kids are very stressed today and hopeless because of our world - and that schools are too focused on academics and most students are not in an emotionally stable enough place to be able to focus on "facts," and might be better served with social, therapeutic, and/or mental health services (and of course, their families, as well).

. . . All of which is saying that society needs to be completely revamped and maybe parents will be motivated to make some changes after watching the series.

One can only hope!

Old 01-10-2018, 06:32 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,589,507 times
I just saw a clip of a kid talking back to a teacher and was appalled.

And I don't understand why they can't get the phone situation addressed. It has to be related to money, as the district gets dollars per day for each kid in school, so you can't threaten consequences like "No phones in class. Put your phone in THIS basket before class. You may pick it up after class. No exceptions. If you refuse to put your phone in the basket, then you will go to the office where you will be given some kind of punishment (detention, suspension, etc.) . . .

Very curious to hear from the teachers and administrators, as to why they can't get a grip on the disrespect and phone issues.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:42 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,865,446 times
Here's a report from WIBW.
Excitement, embarrassment follow Undercover High premiere

It's interesting, but as the interviewed school ex-president says, "remember this is entertainment." Some of the scenes are not real, and they used actors interacting with the fake students. I'd take it all with a grain of salt, but I'd never send my kids to Highland Park, it's probably the worst school in Topeka... Oh, yeah, and Topeka Public Schools got paid a nice $650,000 by A&E.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:11 AM

767 posts, read 1,309,484 times
The episodes I watched show the kids behaving no better or worse that what I've seen though observations in Junction City, Dodge City, Liberal, Lansing, and Wichita... That's not a complement for those districts.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:42 AM

374 posts, read 553,339 times
Default Champions of Destruction, Wamego HS Class of '98

Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
The episodes I watched show the kids behaving no better or worse that what I've seen though observations in Junction City, Dodge City, Liberal, Lansing, and Wichita... That's not a complement for those districts.
The Wamego 8th Grade class was evicted from the 1995 "Treasures of the Czars" exhibit in Topeka. They were still ruckus-raisin' during my year as Gen Science teacher, 96-97.

By the time they graduated in '98, one student had moved on to destroying the Former U.S. Champion Elm Tree

Louisville, Kansas

Louis Vieux operated a ferry across the Vermilion River, and somehow his name was attached to this tree. Experts believe that it dates to the very early 18th century, which would make it nearly 300 years old. It was believed to be America's largest elm -- spared from Dutch Elm Disease by its remote location -- until the summer of 1998, when someone stuck a pipe bomb into its crotch and blew it to pieces. Was the attack prompted by hatred of the Dutch, or of shade, or of vertical things in a notoriously flat state?

Until recently the tree was mostly just a big stump, and one branch had survived. But tree molesters struck again, reported to have burned what living parts might have remained of the tree.

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/16239

Old 01-17-2018, 09:04 PM

767 posts, read 1,309,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSinmyrearviewmirror View Post
The Wamego 8th Grade class was evicted from the 1995 "Treasures of the Czars" exhibit in Topeka. They were still ruckus-raisin' during my year as Gen Science teacher, 96-97.

By the time they graduated in '98, one student had moved on to destroying the Former U.S. Champion Elm Tree

Louisville, Kansas

Louis Vieux operated a ferry across the Vermilion River, and somehow his name was attached to this tree. Experts believe that it dates to the very early 18th century, which would make it nearly 300 years old. It was believed to be America's largest elm -- spared from Dutch Elm Disease by its remote location -- until the summer of 1998, when someone stuck a pipe bomb into its crotch and blew it to pieces. Was the attack prompted by hatred of the Dutch, or of shade, or of vertical things in a notoriously flat state?

Until recently the tree was mostly just a big stump, and one branch had survived. But tree molesters struck again, reported to have burned what living parts might have remained of the tree.

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/16239
Derby students pretty much destroyed the visitors side of the Hutch football stadium and their district let them off the hook when it came time to enforcing the promised punishment.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:26 PM

77,721 posts, read 59,880,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Did anyone watch the first episode of this show which aired last night? I just watched it and wondered if anyone else did, what they thought of it? I'm really interested in any parents who's children go to the high school featured in this show, what their thoughts are. I wonder if anyone else were shocked to see what goes on in schools now a days. The kids behavior is appalling and the disrespect is horrifying. This is not just a problem at this one school, but nation wide. The cell phone problem in schools is ridiculous. It's amazing how we ever got through school without them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygVDaNhZUHQ
"now a days"? I went to school in the 80's in a small town and wow....the stories I could tell you!

Old 01-17-2018, 09:29 PM

77,721 posts, read 59,880,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
Well, when you reach a point in society where the school can't really do anything to the kids and the parents, hey, lets not kid ourselves (parent singular) isn't going to either and will instead blame everyone else...then yeah the kids are going to do whatever they want with no serious repercussions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas