Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 05:35 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times

Advertisements

This is strike one against Kris Kobach, and big strike: https://forward.com/fast-forward/393...-anti-bds-law/ I thought Kris Kobach and Kansas supported the Constitution including the First Amendment. I see other states have this, and I hope someone in each of those states steps up and doesn't stand for such nonsense.

Per the article:

"A federal judge has issued an injunction stopping the enforcement of a Kansas law that bans the state from contracting with individuals or businesses that support the boycott, divestment and sanctions campaign against Israel."

So, if I said that I boycotted products made in Israel, the state would not allow me to contract with them? Yeah, I'm thinking I would not need to have a judge tell me that was an issue.

Me thinks I need to look over the list of those considering running for governor again. This whole "Israel" thing is big to me. I should be able to boycott whoever I want for whatever reason. I would have to admit that I am not one on my knees when it comes to the affairs of Israel. I can just imagine what this has cost the taxpayers when Kansas decided to buck the First Amendment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 06:08 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,895,546 times
It was an absurd and unnecessary law. Hopefully it gets permanently overturned.

This is where Republicans lose me, because every single House and Senate Republican voted in favour of this bill, with the exception of a few absentee members. I just don’t get it. I agree with Democrats on very little, but I side with them on this.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
It was an absurd and unnecessary law. Hopefully it gets permanently overturned.

This is where Republicans lose me, because every single House and Senate Republican voted in favour of this bill, with the exception of a few absentee members. I just don’t get it. I agree with Democrats on very little, but I side with them on this.
I was shocked that such a thing even existed. I thought Kansas was all big on Constitutional Rights.

Protect Your Right to Boycott Everyone should be concerned. Although I don't have a lot of feelings on Israel one way or the other, I would certainly not sign a pledge saying that I would not boycott them in order to get a state job or contracted state job. I would not sign a pledge to ever say I would not boycott a person, organization, country, etc. thus giving away my 1st Amendment right.

On FB, the people are just ridiculous. You can tell they have no understanding of the issue.

I have emailed Public Affairs for Kobach's office and asked for an explanation. Boy, this doesn't ring of putting Americans first when we start censoring in this way.

I'm looking for someone new to support for Governor!

Old 01-31-2018, 10:18 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
This is strike one against Kris Kobach, and big strike: https://forward.com/fast-forward/393...-anti-bds-law/ I thought Kris Kobach and Kansas supported the Constitution including the First Amendment. I see other states have this, and I hope someone in each of those states steps up and doesn't stand for such nonsense.

Per the article:

"A federal judge has issued an injunction stopping the enforcement of a Kansas law that bans the state from contracting with individuals or businesses that support the boycott, divestment and sanctions campaign against Israel."

So, if I said that I boycotted products made in Israel, the state would not allow me to contract with them? Yeah, I'm thinking I would not need to have a judge tell me that was an issue.

Me thinks I need to look over the list of those considering running for governor again. This whole "Israel" thing is big to me. I should be able to boycott whoever I want for whatever reason. I would have to admit that I am not one on my knees when it comes to the affairs of Israel. I can just imagine what this has cost the taxpayers when Kansas decided to buck the First Amendment.
Evidently I've missed something here. Where is the connection to Kris Kobach?

Old 01-31-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
He has posted it to his FB page and it was disappointing that the ACLU would advocate of the hate filled BDS movement - thus he supports taking away First Amendment rights of Kansas citizens over something Israel. I have left him a message that it looks like he wants to take away First Amendment Rights for Kansas citizens, and he can expect me to work against him being elected. I called his office, his assistant, well, it must be really easy to get a job with the State of Kansas.

It is pure insanity and I am going to see which Reps and Senator voted for this, and they better not be mine, or they will be explaining it to me.

I am going to call the Attorney General's Office to see if they have anything to say. I want to understand why the State of Kansas feels they have the right to step on a citizen's First Amendment Rights in the first place. The Attorney General's Office "doesn't get involved", I need to contact my worthless state elected officials.

The thing is, isn't this the same state that would support religious freedom for someone who didn't want to bake a cake for an SSM, yet be concerned about someone contracting the state boycotting Israel?

I will try to contact my state representatives, they generally don't feel accountable to contact me back. Yes, I vote against them.

An article: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2017/ju...goes-governor/ Apparently this was the idea of a pro-Israeli organization (I suspect $$$$$$ may have passed hands, since that is the way government works). If they are pro-Israeli, I suggest they haul tail over their with their cause.

Per the above article: "In May, the Kansas branch of the American Civil Liberties Union sent a letter to lawmakers, saying the bill was an unconstitutional infringement on the right of free speech."

This becomes the first time ever that I support the ACLU!

Last edited by AnywhereElse; 01-31-2018 at 02:45 PM..

Old 01-31-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
I’m not sure, but here is a tweet of a press release from Kobach.
https://twitter.com/KrisKobach1787/s...689183232?s=17

Old 01-31-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I was shocked that such a thing even existed. I thought Kansas was all big on Constitutional Rights.

Protect Your Right to Boycott Everyone should be concerned. Although I don't have a lot of feelings on Israel one way or the other, I would certainly not sign a pledge saying that I would not boycott them in order to get a state job or contracted state job. I would not sign a pledge to ever say I would not boycott a person, organization, country, etc. thus giving away my 1st Amendment right.

On FB, the people are just ridiculous. You can tell they have no understanding of the issue.

I have emailed Public Affairs for Kobach's office and asked for an explanation. Boy, this doesn't ring of putting Americans first when we start censoring in this way.

I'm looking for someone new to support for Governor!
I believe almost all political boycotts are just as absurd as this law, but people have a right to support who they want.

My perspective is the exact opposite of the state and the GOP. People should have the right to boycott, but minorities shouldn’t be allowed to be discriminated against, aka homosexuals. I own a restaurant, I could refuse a job based on the nature of what I am making, but not based on the people I am serving.

Old 01-31-2018, 03:41 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
He has posted it to his FB page and it was disappointing that the ACLU would advocate of the hate filled BDS movement - thus he supports taking away First Amendment rights of Kansas citizens over something Israel. I have left him a message that it looks like he wants to take away First Amendment Rights for Kansas citizens, and he can expect me to work against him being elected. I called his office, his assistant, well, it must be really easy to get a job with the State of Kansas.

It is pure insanity and I am going to see which Reps and Senator voted for this, and they better not be mine, or they will be explaining it to me.

I am going to call the Attorney General's Office to see if they have anything to say. I want to understand why the State of Kansas feels they have the right to step on a citizen's First Amendment Rights in the first place. The Attorney General's Office "doesn't get involved", I need to contact my worthless state elected officials.

The thing is, isn't this the same state that would support religious freedom for someone who didn't want to bake a cake for an SSM, yet be concerned about someone contracting the state boycotting Israel?

I will try to contact my state representatives, they generally don't feel accountable to contact me back. Yes, I vote against them.

An article: Israeli boycott prohibition bill goes to governor / LJWorld.com Apparently this was the idea of a pro-Israeli organization (I suspect $$$$$$ may have passed hands, since that is the way government works). If they are pro-Israeli, I suggest they haul tail over their with their cause.

Per the above article: "In May, the Kansas branch of the American Civil Liberties Union sent a letter to lawmakers, saying the bill was an unconstitutional infringement on the right of free speech."

This becomes the first time ever that I support the ACLU!
Just from the cursory reading I've done today on this issue, it is clear that there is plentiful context and depth to be explored. Equally, it seems clear to me that there is no clear cut good/evil here.

You're certainly free to write-off a candidate for whatever reason or no reason, but it's hard for me to understand why you're not taking the time to fully consider the background/context here before trashing a man you previously supported.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Just from the cursory reading I've done today on this issue, it is clear that there is plentiful context and depth to be explored. Equally, it seems clear to me that there is no clear cut good/evil here.

You're certainly free to write-off a candidate for whatever reason or no reason, but it's hard for me to understand why you're not taking the time to fully consider the background/context here before trashing a man you previously supported.
First Amendment rights, as well as all Constitutional Rights are very important to me. That I would be required to sign something basically swearing allegiance to another country when it came to business practices in the State of Kansas, nope, I am not buying there is anything that makes this right.

I just wrote Jeff Longbine. I had written him before, many times, about the discrimination against my son, an adult with developmental disabilities, and how programs for him were "cherry-picking" and thus not allowing them to enter their programs (these are contractors with the State of Kansas), so we had no choices other than desperate programs. He suffered attempting to survive them. Longine NEVER addressed this, NEVER, yet he steps right up to try to make things "fair" for Israel, even if that means infringing on the rights of the citizens of Kansas. BIG DEAL!

We all remember the state's stance on LGBT: Brownback defends approach to Supreme Court I bet they would let a business in Kansas boycott LGBT and be right there defending their right to do so under religious freedom. I should have the religious freedom to boycott Israel, as I feel this is a religious conflict going on in another part of the world that we should not be involved in.

Kansas shows its true colors in this.

Roll Call vote, the House on this bill: https://legiscan.com/KS/rollcall/HB2409/id/659685 and Senate Roll call: https://legiscan.com/KS/rollcall/HB2409/id/659685

Again, it is all about First Amendment Rights, and my thought that Kansas supported them. I do wonder why this bill didn't get more "press", but it should now that the ACLU is involved. No KS website that I went to had a word about this except for the official congressional sites having the bill info.

There is a line I draw in the sand, if they cross the line................. I believe we should always put citizens first.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I’m not sure, but here is a tweet of a press release from Kobach.
https://twitter.com/KrisKobach1787/s...689183232?s=17
This is what he put on his FB page. Talking about how Israelis have suffered. You know I have never heard a KS politician talk about how any other group has suffered in Kansas, oh wait, Christians, not blacks, not Native Americans, not women, not LGBT community, only Israelis and Christians. (OK, that probably just applies to the GOP politicians, at least for some of those groups.)

Geesh, for me, this could not have come at a better time! I hope the ACLU kicks the butt of the State of Kansas on this.

I also don't like it when anyone says "We all have a duty.........., no one has the right to tell me that I have a duty to a foreign nation or any particular people. I think Kobach has went off the deep end.

I consider Kansas the most racist state I have ever lived in, and I haven't seen any apologies on that, and I have lived in 4 southern states!

The Democrats will get my vote in the mid-terms, if I am still here to vote. I'm not messing with the GOP at the state level anymore. The Dems cannot possibly be worse, at the state level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas