Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 07:38 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,401,684 times

Advertisements

I've always been a geography nut, in fact it's one of the things I love about America, there's so much variety. Now, I always thought Kansas was flat with miles of corn and wheat until I saw a pic of Gove Co. and the Monument Rocks. I was very surprised to see land that resembled Colorado or Utah. So, please tell me about Kansas' geography. Is there a stark difference between Western and Eastern KS or Northern or Southern KS. Are there hills, ect? Any thick forests in KS? Thank you very much as I am curious and am also looking across the US for a place to relocate, my family is from the Midwest and we are looking closely at those states as we really miss the people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 08:03 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,881,386 times
Take a look at the Kansas Picture thread.

Also, Google Maps has an option you can select that shows pictures and where they were taken.

Yes, Kansas has hills - Flint Hills

Eastern Kansas is much more wooded (like Missouri), whereas the rest of the state has fewer trees, except in river beds.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:26 AM

396 posts, read 990,954 times
Kansas Scenic Byways - Welcome!

This site as pictures from a lot of the different regions around the state.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:29 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,401,684 times
Thank you for the links. So the main differences in the landscape are found in the West and East? Like I said before, I was very surprised by Gove Co. as it looked nothing like what I pictured KS looking like. Are the people friendly or very leery of "outsiders"? My family is from Iowa and the people were friendly but then again my family was from there. I just know I'm tired of the monotony in Florida(South). The landscape is bland(all the overdevelopment has ruined the natural beauty) and the weather is always the same(hot or hotter) except for a few weeks in the Winter. Plus the people(most) are very unfriendly and crime is epidemic. It used to be a nice place before all the overdevelopment and the influx of criminals. I long for a safe, stable, and friendly place to call my home. Thanks again!

Old 04-12-2010, 09:42 AM

1,652 posts, read 3,864,803 times
Are you just going to move to a random small town in Kansas, or Kansas City, KS, or Wichita, or what?

This sounds a smidge weird to me, and it also sounds as though you're still thinking in terms of Kansas (and even your home state, for that matter!) being one homogeneous entity. (For instance, imagine not being from Iowa. Do you honestly think random Iowans would be unkind to you, were that the case? Are you from a town of 50 people or something like that? Absolutely patently absurd! And would you expect the people of, say, western Massachusetts to be 'leery of outsiders?')

I need to stop reading City-Data.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:53 AM

Geography, elevation and Climate change from East To West rather than North to South. In the Northeast you have Glacial Hills and Bluffs along the Rivers. The Rest of Eastern Kansas is rolling hills with a prairie/forest mosaic as they say. The Climate is such that if they didn't farm or burn the land then it would be all forest but instead you get a mix with upland areas forested and riparian areas as well, with much of the land in between used for agriculture. As you go west you have the Flint Hills which are the last large hold of Tall Grass Prairie anywhere really. Once you get to Wichita in South Central Kansas the area is much more level, primarily because it's in a river valley. This area is some of the best crop land in the world. In the North Central Part of the State the climate is similar but a little colder in the winter but is more hilly with buttes etc. The monument rocks in Gove Co. are actually a far reaching extension of these hills. Southwest of wichita a couple hours are the Gypsum Hills that have a southwestern vibe with mesas, arches etc then far western Kansas is more of the "typical" way that Kansas is portrayed. Vast, generally flat (although there are exceptions even there) and much drier than the east. In terms of rain, southeast Kansas can average 50 inches of rain in a year while southwestern Kansas can average less than 20 and sometimes as low as 15 inches of rain. So you can have quite a bit of contrast crossing the state. In the east you have definate Midwest, in the west you can have mixes of plains/west/southwest. We don't have any mountains, or huge hills (but some decent sized) but much of Kansas is rolling terrain and as long as we get off the interstate there is a lot to actually see.

In regards to the people, I don't think you'll have any problems. People are friendly, there are exceptions as people can be jerks anywhere. But in my experiences people are generally accepting. Good luck!

Old 04-12-2010, 11:43 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,698,601 times
KC Suburbs below (eastern Kansas) It's pretty flat although it's a bit more hilly around KCK and Lawrence than in Overland Park, Olathe etc. It's quite amazing how quickly the topography changes in the KC area. There is a difference between MO and KS for the most part. Then you go down to suburban St Louis and it's practically mountainous compared to the KS side of KC. But it's cheap and easy to develop when land is flat, that's why this part of KC developed so quickly.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:17 PM

3 posts, read 17,895 times
Take a sheet of plywood throw some dirt on it, a scrub bush and multiply it times ten billion and you would have a good representation of KS

Old 04-12-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornadoally View Post
Take a sheet of plywood throw some dirt on it, a scrub bush and multiply it times ten billion and you would have a good representation of KS
You haven't been very many places in Kansas have you

Old 04-12-2010, 09:49 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,962,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tornadoally View Post
Well hi there 'kansasucks'! Get tired of your first name already?

For the OP: I'm completely biased but I love the Flint Hills. If you happen to be in the area I recommend checking them out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas