U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 10:42 AM

276 posts, read 218,759 times

Advertisements

We've driven 36 from Marysville to Colorado a # of times. This last trip was a dining disaster.

We've dined @ Wagon Wheel Cafe, Las Cabanas Mexican Restaurant, & New China Buffet in Marysville.

Dairy Queen Grill & Chill in Belleville. Note, there are a lot of DQs along 36. Appear to be the newest trend in dining on 36, & there are Casey's, Pizza Hut, Subway in most of the larger towns.

Phillipsburg => we stayed @ the Cottonwood Inn & walked to dinner @ The Branding Iron II (4.0/5.0
80 Google reviews) MISTAKE We were probably the 5th & 6th in the door, so it wasn't busy. 2 couples came in after we left. They had a good price on a steak dinner. My order was medium, it came completely dried out. My wife's comment was first time I've had someone ruin a steak. We ventured back in the morning for breakfast, which took 45 minutes to have served. The place held a large locals coffee table, & there were quite a few other dinners. A local would get up & make the rounds with the coffee pot; we had to decline refills of our tea cups twice.

St. Francis => we ate @ Flatiron Restaurant. This was an anomaly, good food, Asian waitress, pony-tailed cook; lunch special sandwich had a slice of pineapple on it. Asian Special: Kung Pao Chicken, 15 Nov.

Now that I've done extensive Googling on 36 dining, I see there might have been spots off 36.

The trip back, we knew the possiblities, so we planned ahead to dine @ Big Ed's in Bird City for lunch. They don't open until 5 p.m., but you won't find that out except on Google. No sign about open hours at all. We have eater there years ago & know folks come from miles around (Atwood friend says).

At Oberlin, 36 was closed & we were detoured to 24. We didn't spot anything tempting all the way back to Manhattan, as we had cheese & apples to snack on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 07:49 PM

56,267 posts, read 44,675,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSinmyrearviewmirror View Post
We've driven 36 from Marysville to Colorado a # of times. This last trip was a dining disaster.

We've dined @ Wagon Wheel Cafe, Las Cabanas Mexican Restaurant, & New China Buffet in Marysville.

Dairy Queen Grill & Chill in Belleville. Note, there are a lot of DQs along 36. Appear to be the newest trend in dining on 36, & there are Casey's, Pizza Hut, Subway in most of the larger towns.

Phillipsburg => we stayed @ the Cottonwood Inn & walked to dinner @ The Branding Iron II (4.0/5.0
80 Google reviews) MISTAKE We were probably the 5th & 6th in the door, so it wasn't busy. 2 couples came in after we left. They had a good price on a steak dinner. My order was medium, it came completely dried out. My wife's comment was first time I've had someone ruin a steak. We ventured back in the morning for breakfast, which took 45 minutes to have served. The place held a large locals coffee table, & there were quite a few other dinners. A local would get up & make the rounds with the coffee pot; we had to decline refills of our tea cups twice.

St. Francis => we ate @ Flatiron Restaurant. This was an anomaly, good food, Asian waitress, pony-tailed cook; lunch special sandwich had a slice of pineapple on it. Asian Special: Kung Pao Chicken, 15 Nov.

Now that I've done extensive Googling on 36 dining, I see there might have been spots off 36.

The trip back, we knew the possiblities, so we planned ahead to dine @ Big Ed's in Bird City for lunch. They don't open until 5 p.m., but you won't find that out except on Google. No sign about open hours at all. We have eater there years ago & know folks come from miles around (Atwood friend says).

At Oberlin, 36 was closed & we were detoured to 24. We didn't spot anything tempting all the way back to Manhattan, as we had cheese & apples to snack on.
You never asked a question. You just threw a "?" at the end of your title and then ranted about bad places in small towns including one you went to twice.

Last place I went to in CO had a prostitute working out front....so what's your point?

Do you realize you can leave them reviews on-line? If you get a smart phone, you can even leave the reviews and look for places using one.

I hope you find better eating places in the future. All of the bad ones are in Kansas so best of luck.

Old 11-26-2018, 03:00 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,926,259 times
When I worked as a construction supervisor I had jobs in Agra and Concordia and spent about 18 months in that area between the 2 of them. We'd regularly go over to Philipsburg to eat. Its true, the restaurants out there were not great, but I found a few good Mexican joints and a few diners that were good. I dont recall the names, but there was a BBQ that was just awful. There was also a really good pizza place in a cool old downtown building. That was maybe 8 years ago, wow time flies.

Old 11-26-2018, 04:27 PM

^^^^

THANX. In Googling "restaurants" & Phillipsburg I did see pizza/mexican/BBQ farther from 36.

I taught for a year (1995-96) in Glasco. Never ate @ the bar, did go to the diner on 24, once or twice after it opened. Delphos, once. Beloit, twice (China House & World's Smallest McDonalds, appears to have closed). Concordia, once. Simpson had a steak house that I missed getting to. I see Trapper Joe's in Simpson. That's not the building I recall, but the menu seems similar to what I recall hearing.

Appears Glasco has had 3 cafes, all permanently closed now. There was a liquor store in a house w/drive-up window. NO ID necessary for HS kids.

I lived in Glasco, M-F, & commuted from Manhattan: 3 stop signs & one traffic light on the commute. Hardee's in Clay Center for breakfast.

Old 11-26-2018, 04:57 PM

56,267 posts, read 44,675,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSinmyrearviewmirror View Post

Appears Glasco has had 3 cafes, all permanently closed now. There was a liquor store in a house w/drive-up window. NO ID necessary for HS kids.
Sure there was. I find that claim so fantastic that I think bad memory is more likely the root of that claim.

But hey, stuff happens so please provide proof of the magical drive thru booze store selling to minors in rural KS.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:24 PM

13,543 posts, read 25,691,127 times
I ate at a bar in Oberlin (during the day, on a weekday, during winter) several years ago.

I asked the cowboy at the bar if the place served food, he told me it did, and I proceeded to sit down and have well above average chicken fingers w/fries.

Old 05-09-2019, 08:33 PM

1 posts, read 685 times
In Phillipsburg there is a very good restaurant across the street from the Cottonwood Inn. It is part of the golf course. We have eaten there 3 or 4 times when we have travelled through. In Oberlin there is a bar restaurant downtown that serves very good food. We were there last September. Hot day/ coldest bottle of ale! Hamburgers were huge, and the plate of onion rings was enormous and delicious. It's a quirky place and was even more quirky when the power shut off while our food was cooking. The cook continued on with the help of a couple of folks holding flashlights till the power came back on. Pizza seemed to be there specialty. Several folks came in for pick up orders. A couple years back, we found a great Mexican restaurant right on the highway down a ways from the Norton Inn. Good food and margaritas. Give those places a chance on your next trip.

Old 05-09-2019, 08:52 PM

13,543 posts, read 25,691,127 times
I was in St. Francis (for the first time) last week.

Was in a hurry, but it seemed that all it had was Subway (in a gas station, and what I settled on), Pizza Hut (which looked to be THE place in town), and another gas station that had Chester's Chicken/etc.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:27 PM

1,633 posts, read 1,969,091 times
When I used to travel for work in Kansas, there was always a Pizza Hut and a Dairy Queen. Subways are common now. Sometimes there would be a Chinese restaurant in some of the towns. Some had an A&W Root Beer restaurant. Look for where the locals eat and or where the truckers eat. Usually, there are only one or two options. The Buffalo Roam in Mankato is a good stop.

Old 05-11-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
When I used to travel for work in Kansas, there was always a Pizza Hut and a Dairy Queen. Subways are common now. Sometimes there would be a Chinese restaurant in some of the towns. Some had an A&W Root Beer restaurant. Look for where the locals eat and or where the truckers eat. Usually, there are only one or two options. The Buffalo Roam in Mankato is a good stop.
Anyone else recall back when you could NOT get a hamburger @ Dairy Queen? In Augusta, the burger shack was attached to the DQ bldg, but you entered thru a separate door. I recall standing in front of the DQ/Burger shack @ Kellogg & Oliver in Wichita, when the Monkees' limo zoomed by on the way to Century II. I enjoyed telling my sister that I got closer to the Monkees than she did @ the concert!

Yes, DQ & Pizza Hut were/are the dining options in many small KS towns (although Strong City lost its Hut many years back.) For the traveler, => same options in every town, expect the same food you get @ every location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or