Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2019, 08:08 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,487,028 times

Advertisements

I have a trip up ahead to Hiawatha, KS, way up in the NE corner of Kansas. Mrs. elkotronics and I lived for a year in Dodge City, KS, so I know my way from here in southern New Mexico up to Dodge City. That would be on Highway 54. From there the road changes to Highway 50.

Does anyone know what would be the safest winter weather route from Dodge City to Hiawatha? The Kansas Turnpike? I appreciate anyone's thoughts on this question. I'm considering trading in my car at a dealer up there in Hiawatha for a used car. Neither my car nor the one I'm interested in has supreme tire tread on it. Perhaps a new set of tires on the new to me car would be in order right there at the dealer before I drive home in the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2019, 09:05 AM

374 posts, read 561,933 times
IF there is actual winter weather (SNOW/ICE), KS 283 N to Interstate 70 to the NE corner.

All routes leading East out of Dodge City are 2-lane until you get close to Wichita, w/lots of semi traffic; so any winter weather will be more impactful.

IF conditions are dry, KS 50 out of Dodge City will take you diagonally all the way to Emporia, where you can catch the turnpike.

Old 12-17-2019, 04:07 PM

IF conditions are dry, KS 50 out of Dodge City will take you diagonally all the way to Emporia, where you can catch the turnpike.

Thanks, KSinmyrearviewmirror. I hope that conditions will be dry, but I know from living in Kansas that it can get cold and nasty on the roads at times. There's a small hotel in Emporia we like that we can stay at if we come upon treacherous conditions and I go that route.

State Highway 283 heads north of out Dodge City, it looks like. That is a 2-laner that goes past the little town of Jetmore. I'm going to follow your advice and go up Highway 283 until I get to I-70 and then head eastward. Good advice.

Thanks again!

Old 12-18-2019, 03:02 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,529,053 times
Actually, 54 does not go through Dodge. I have driven through Kansas on 54. Although it is mostly 2 lane, there are plenty of “passing lanes” every 10 miles or so if you get behind a truck or RV you can’t pass, although you know western Kansas...plenty of flat roads. I didn’t think the traffic was really that bad. I would just stay on 54 all the way to Wichita then take the turnpike to Topeka then 75 north to Hiawatha.

If you are going to Dodge regardless, looking at a map it appears 56 may be shorter than 50. You still end up at the turnpike. But I don’t know anything about either road.

If weather is crappy and you are starting out on I-40, I’d take it to Oklahoma City then take 35, staying on interstates all the way. But then again, I’d probably hole up in a motel until it had all passed. I’m a wimp like that.

Old 12-19-2019, 04:19 PM

Actually, 54 does not go through Dodge. I have driven through Kansas on 54. Although it is mostly 2 lane, there are plenty of “passing lanes” every 10 miles or so if you get behind a truck or RV you can’t pass, although you know western Kansas...plenty of flat roads. I didn’t think the traffic was really that bad. I would just stay on 54 all the way to Wichita then take the turnpike to Topeka then 75 north to Hiawatha.

If you are going to Dodge regardless, looking at a map it appears 56 may be shorter than 50. You still end up at the turnpike. But I don’t know anything about either road.

If weather is crappy and you are starting out on I-40, I’d take it to Oklahoma City then take 35, staying on interstates all the way. But then again, I’d probably hole up in a motel until it had all passed. I’m a wimp like that.

I loved Kansas. I'm looking forward to the journey. It may turn out that it's spontaneous decisions I make once I hit Dodge City. I'll take Highway 54 out of Alamogordo north through Tucumcari and on in to Texas. Then through Texas on in to Kansas, going through the small town of Liberal still on Highway 54. Then on up to Highway 160, turning east at Meade. Then over to Highway 283, turning left on to 283 north to Dodge City. At Dodge I would no doubt go eastward towards Wichita. There's plenty of places to turn off and sleep if I need to along the way.

At Wichita I'll get on the Kansas Turnpike going northeast to Topeka. Topeka has a good selection of hotels I could stay in, either before or after I purchase my car. At Topeka I'll get on Highway 75 north to Highway 36, then turn right and head east to Hiawatha.

Old 12-19-2019, 05:30 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,189 times
Yes, that is the best route. When you get to Topeka, if the weather is questionable, take 75 North to Highway 36 (at Fairview). Go east to Hiawatha. That is the fastest route and it is 4 lane to 36. If you are not in a hurry, you could visit Atichison and Weston, MO and come back east through Lawrence and then south on 59 to I-35. Downtown Lawrence is a good stop.

Old 12-30-2019, 06:04 PM

I haven't gone on this trip back to Kansas yet, but still plan to. Next weekend it may happen. Have to get the logistics down and then I'll be on my way. Thanks everybody for the route information. I'll post back on here whenever there's an update. The rig I want is fortunately still available there!

Old 01-02-2020, 05:20 AM

Well - well - well. Leave it to CarGurus to provide me with the necessary vital car information I need to keep safe and legal. The car I liked in Hiawatha evidently has a salvage/title problem and would be more trouble than it's worth to transfer over to me. That's the first time the car came up on CarGurus, yesterday. I don't want anything ta do with it, now.

Thanks to everyone who helped provide safe winter driving route tips for me. I appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas